AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Grow Out Challenge Redux

Real Name
    Bill

Default Grow Out Challenge Redux

Back in 2018 Al hosted the latest installment of an SD tradition: the Grow Out Challenge. (Check out the sub-forum if you haven't before: lots of good info there.)

Well, yours truly was a participant, but I'm afraid my thread over there didn't quite make it to the stickies at the top of the page. It wasn't because I didn't like to document my process, share my secrets, or turn a phrase. I think it might have had something to do with the fact that all my fish ended up dying... Imagine that!

Naturally, I have not allowed that small blemish on my fishkeeping record to prevent me from other foolish endeavors, like allowing my fish to breed.

And so begins the next chapter: a fresh start, a reboot, a sequel that is sure to surpass the original!

Here's where we start:
    2019-12-08 15.27.07.jpg

More later on the backstory...

For now, here's a better look at these guys, and the setup for the growout as it now stands:

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Default Re: Grow Out Challenge Redux

Good for you Bill!! What strain pair are the fry from? You've done a great job so far getting them past the critical first weeks of life after hatching. Watching your progress with interest, and to put an American term on it, which makes Aussie giggle, I'm rooting for ya mate!! Lol

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Bill its not a blemish, but an opportunity to gain knowledge. Love seeing these juvies zipping around...looking forward to updates.
    Nice work!

P.S. I'm rooting for you too
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Lol, good one Joe

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

I can’t wait for the day to start growing some youngins this small! Good luck and I’m subscribing to this one. In for strain update and photos of the parents.

Real Name
    Frank

Way to go! Looking forward to the thread.

Real Name
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    Good for you Bill!! What strain pair are the fry from? You've done a great job so far getting them past the critical first weeks of life after hatching. Watching your progress with interest, and to put an American term on it, which makes Aussie giggle, I'm rooting for ya mate!! Lol
    Quote Originally Posted by two utes View Post
    Bill its not a blemish, but an opportunity to gain knowledge. Love seeing these juvies zipping around...looking forward to updates.
    Nice work!

P.S. I'm rooting for you too
    Hey, you two are free here in America to do just about whatever you like in your private lives, but, you know, no offense or anything but I'd rather you keep me and my discus out of it. So, if it's all the same to you, maybe you might stick to cheering and encouragement.

I can tell I'm going to have to tread cautiously from here on out...

Real Name
    Bill

No, seriously, thanks Daniel and Joe, I appreciate the support and the humor and I'll see if I can follow suit. I'm an amateur but I'm having fun with my fish and I'll be glad if others do, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mando View Post
    I can’t wait for the day to start growing some youngins this small! Good luck and I’m subscribing to this one. In for strain update and photos of the parents.
    Thanks, Armando. Been enjoying the guys you have in your bathroom. Hoping I'll do better my second time!

Quote Originally Posted by fljones3 View Post
    Way to go! Looking forward to the thread.

Thanks, Frank. So far, so good!

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Hi Bill, so glad to see you back in the game. It broke my heart when the grow-out challenge ended to way it do but now you are back and full steam ahead. Your fry look really good. How old are they now? Looking forward to seeing the parents

Also what are you going to do different with these guys? I know, no pressure but I want to see you succeed so will be watching you and this thread closely. I'm rooting for ya too!!
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Filip

Great Intro for a new journey Bill .
    I'll be following this thread , for sure .
    Kudos for your persistence to your success .

Real Name
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Hi Bill, so glad to see you back in the game. It broke my heart when the grow-out challenge ended to way it do but now you are back and full steam ahead. Your fry look really good. How old are they now? Looking forward to seeing the parents

Also what are you going to do different with these guys? I know, no pressure but I want to see you succeed so will be watching you and this thread closely. I'm rooting for ya too!!
    Pat
    Thanks, Pat. Nice having a chance to work with the little guys again, and I'm also happy to gain some experience with breeding. I was disappointed with my results from the challenge last year, but I definitely learned a lot, so it's nice to have that working for me this time. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, right?

There are a few things that I'm doing now based on what I learned then:

1. Last time I kept them in a 10 gallon tank for too long. This time I'm beginning in the 40 breeder, but with a section of about 15 gallons separated off for them to start off in. My hope is that I'll get cleaner, more stable water, while still giving them a footprint in which they can easily find food and feel secure. Seems good so far.

2. I'm set up to produce more BBS than last time. I'm using a passive system--the Hobby hatching dish--but I now have two of them I can rotate to always have some fresh ones coming, and I also have some of the Instant Ocean ones from a jar I froze into small cubes to supplement as needed. They're going to have ready access many times throughout the day. In addition, I have them started on beefheart flakes, which is something Bryan (warblad) was doing with his last year (and Willie also recommends adding early). I started using the flakes fairly liberally when I'm out for several hours during the day, and overnight as well, and they are now eating them.

3. I'm keeping the lights on 24 hours and the temp up at 86.

4. Ideally I might be able to do more than one WC/day, but it's not going to be realistic this time. They're getting one each evening of around 70%. I may siphon the bottom near the fish 2x/day, do regular wipedowns, and see how that goes for a while.

5. For filtration, I have a sponge filter in with them, and an external filter with sponge and bio-media on the other side of a mattenfilter. I'm trying to use the mattenfilter almost exclusively as a tank divider as I don't want it to trap lots of detritus, so I'm using only one lifter (instead of two) and have reduced the flow enough (hopefully) to circulate water but that's all. Also tried to dial in the sponge filter to provide aeration and some mechanical and biological filtration, but not too much current.

That's about all I can think of for now. Planning to take a page from your book, Pat, and tape a coin to the tank so we can track growth.

The fry themselves are, let's see... I think the parents laid on Nov. 16, they went free swimming around the 23rd, and it took them several days to attach--I queried the breeders section for help with that on the 27th, and some didn't get there fully for another couple of days. So, I left them with the parents for about two weeks once they found them, and they're about 2.5 weeks post hatch.

The fry (I believe) are F2 Alenquers, though I feel more strongly about that with the female than the male. Overall the batch they came in with does include a range of some wild-types (including a red-spotted green), so the male may be showing royal blue characteristics, or he may be a more domesticated turquoise that found himself in the mix. Whatever the case, I'm curious (and hopeful) I'll see a range of wild-types in the fry!

Real Name
    Bill

Here's a couple of phone snapshots of the parents from the last couple of weeks:
    2019-11-20 13.43.39.jpg
    2019-11-29 21.49.42.jpg
    2019-12-02 22.03.26.jpg
    2019-12-02 22.05.20.jpg

Real Name
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    Great Intro for a new journey Bill .
    I'll be following this thread , for sure .
    Kudos for your persistence to your success .
    Thanks, Filip!

Registered Member

Loving that male! You should get some really nice fish from that pair

Real Name
    Filip

Very promising pair and fry Bill ��.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast