ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: 30 day synonyms

Registered Member

Default 30 day synonyms

Hi everyone,

Just wondering do any of you used/tryed potassium permanganate (if so how did you used it) in your fish tanks. my last batch (discus pair) had 60-75 frys initially, in the last couple of days (10-15) i have lost 24 frys (30 day synonyms), i have readed Potassium Permanganate help ?. i dont like to used medication my go to is salt/wc then medication.

Also readed somewhere when discus layed eggs its good to put some Methyl blue to prevent the fry getting a infection/fungus ?.

thank in in advance.

Real Name
    Steve

Default Re: 30 day synonyms

Hi ----,
    Potassium permanganate oxidizes or mildy "burns" off external parasites and organics in the water. It is often used as a treatment for gill flukes, which is a common problem. Fry from affected parents seem to fall into that 30 day die off symptom category. Treating the fry, however, is considered very hard on them, and it's usually recommended to let the batch go, and treat the parents, so the next batch will be "cleaner." Salt is also used for similar treatment, but maybe less effective. I have a PP mix I got from someone, so I can't address the dosage, but you want to clean the tank of as many organics as possible first, including a lrge water change, and then you add the PP to develope a deep purple hue (hope others will offer the dose) in the tank. It turns brownish as it works. (Help with time folks?) After maybe up to a day, you do a major water change and continue to establish your tank's system.

Yes, meth blue is used to reduce fungus. Some reports suggest it's best not to have much present when the fry hatch, so folks treat in advance as a preventative, then remove it with usual water changes.

This is based on stuff I did a few years ago with my breeders, and ideas may have evolved since then. Maybe others will add. Good luck.
    Steve

Like Steve I have used it for flukes in the parents. I don't know the proper dosage either. I do it by color.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Filip

Link to a useful thread on permanganate use dosage , time and other helpfull info :

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...nganate-aka-PP