AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Co2 high tech tank with discus

Registered Member

Default Re: Co2 high tech tank with discus

The only way to safely do it is with a solenoid valve on the CO2 tank hooked up to a controller. You set the controller on the desired pH and if it dips below the pH the Co2 solenoid shuts the CO2 off.

Discus are easy if you maintain absolute stability. Little variations can set off a cascade of no return.
    My tank is planted and I use controllable LED lighting. Lots of lovely plants and growth without CO2 injection.
    And my tank is always 30c - so you arent limited to Amazon biotype plants

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Filipe

I thought I would post an update on this tank. I've been running this tank for almost month now with the controller. So far so good I've been able to keep the ph 7.2 and I've reduced the light intensity by 30 percent. the temp is sitting at 29.5C. The plants are still showing good growth. The current tank inhabitants also show no change in behavior. I believe the conditions in this tank are as good as it's going to get for discus.

I am planning to add them to the tank soon.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Alins Paul

Little variations can set off a cascade of no return.My tank is planted and I use controllable LED lighting. Lots of lovely plants and growth without CO2 injection.

Real Name
    Tom

I’m also against co2. But glad to see you trying it and wish you the best of luck. For me the co2 changing the ph doesn’t work for me. My tank is also planted. I’m currently growing 20 different type of plants in my tank. The plus to co2 would be if you plan carpeting plants. I would not recommend carpeting plants because of the vacuuming you will be doing. Have to keep the tank and substrate clean.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Alins Paul

Quote Originally Posted by planter View Post
    I thought I would post an update on this tank. I've been running this tank for almost month now with the controller. So far so good I've been able to keep the ph 7.2 and I've reduced the light intensity by 30 percent. the temp is sitting at 29.5C. The plants are still showing mouse clicker good growth. The current tank inhabitants also show no change in behavior. I believe the conditions in this tank are as good as it's going to get for discus.

I am planning to add them to the tank soon.
    Little variations can set off a cascade of no return.
    My tank is planted and I use controllable LED lighting.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    I would recommend not starting this way if you are new to discus . Adjusting co2 levels and pH swings and having substrate tank fertilized heavily along with discus in it it's a very tricky compromise that should be left aside as your " final exam " in your discus learning process .
    I would start off with discus only and sand bottom tank , and adding all the planters stuff one by one , changing one thing a month and observing changes in discus behaviour to determine the sweet spot between discus and plant needs.
    About your question.Water is aged to settle pH swings greater than 0.4 degrees PH and outgass microbubbles in the tap water that stress discus during WCs .
    Good luck and please share some photos of your discus tank .
    Totally agree.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12