Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: High tech planted tank with discus

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Eugene

Default Re: High tech planted tank with discus

For some reason I cannot attach my high tech plant tank photo

I reduce it to 640kb but still no luck
    Last edited by eugenefish; 02-02-2021 at 09:09 PM.

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by eugenefish View Post
    Once you start injecting CO2 into the tank, you have to consider adding fertilizers like phosphorus, nitrogen.... into the water column too. Those extra chemical may have a negative impact to your discus too. Something to keep in mind.

Don't get me wrong, I love high tech Plant tank and Discus as well. However putting them together is not going to be an easy task. Plant tank with 30 ppm of CO2 will need to have at least 30 ppm nitrate and 10ppm of phosphorus for the plant to grow nicely. Discus does not like to be in the water with 30 ppm of nitrate

My 210 gal discus tank

I may be wrong on this.

I believe that what discus don't like are dissolved organic compounds (DOC) in the water. These compounds breakdown and end up as nitrate but they pollute water until they do. If nitrate was the only problem everyone would just run nitrate removing resin instead of doing waterchanges. There is no easy test for DOC but nitrate test will tell us all we need to know, so people ultimately just use that.
    Tom Barr once ran a planted tank with cardinal tetras with nitrate dosing over 400, no problems, if I remember the details.

Anyhow, my point is that although we use nitrate as an indicator of water cleanliness it doesn't translate the same when we add nitrate as a fertilizer.

If I am correct, you could run a tank and dose nitrate to 50ppm without a problem as long as you kept your tank clean of the waste and other organics.

Real Name
    Shan

Quote Originally Posted by eugenefish View Post
    For some reason I cannot attach my high tech plant tank photo

I reduce it to 640kb but still no luck
    Try uploading to imgur, then resaving it to your computer.
    Amateur discuskeeper, Professional doofus

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Eugene

Quote Originally Posted by dprais1 View Post
    I may be wrong on this.

I believe that what discus don't like are dissolved organic compounds (DOC) in the water. These compounds breakdown and end up as nitrate but they pollute water until they do. If nitrate was the only problem everyone would just run nitrate removing resin instead of doing waterchanges. There is no easy test for DOC but nitrate test will tell us all we need to know, so people ultimately just use that.
    Tom Barr once ran a planted tank with cardinal tetras with nitrate dosing over 400, no problems, if I remember the details.

Anyhow, my point is that although we use nitrate as an indicator of water cleanliness it doesn't translate the same when we add nitrate as a fertilizer.

If I am correct, you could run a tank and dose nitrate to 50ppm without a problem as long as you kept your tank clean of the waste and other organics.
    You are absolutely right about the DOC in the water. That why almost all successfully discus keeper are doing massive daily water change (80% or more WC) and that including me too. However daily WC on a high tech plant tank is counterproductive and the plant will not be happy at all.

Just my 2 cents

Real Name
    Mervin

I once had a high tech adult discus tank. With 80% WC's every two days. I used EI dosing and it seemed to work well. Buy your ferts at a hydroponic shop and find a recipe on the web to make your own, cheap.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12