AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Well, I needed to mop

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Filipe

Default Re: Well, I needed to mop

to those who has ever owned an aquarium and has denied having a flood either through an accident or neglect I'd be skeptical. I mean it's almost a right of passage to have a flood at one point or another

Real Name
    Brian

I know basic self taught electrical but nothing fancy. I hire that stuff out if it gets complicated. That's why when Jack's house caught fire I freaked. Years earlier I ran the electrical for his fish room for over 200 tanks. Turned out is wasn't me, lol...

Real Name
    Tom

Who left the hose running [ mix heated water I will show on another thread] filling a tank for 4 hours ….
    The first time in 2015 ??
    Brain I feel your pain , my wife would say tomorrow "you could put tanks in the two rooms upstairs " ...NEVER …
    Even I cannot and read it in the second post of mine and like it or not she hates me and fish ,she might say that tomorrow still .
    Got a call about a month or so ago am sure I can find "documentation " [why I really post on forums ] from my wife while at work .
    She said [voice mail because I don't answer my cell] " I think we need a new water heater or the thing that makes heat . I was rinsing dishes and the water is cold " . My wife [close to 25 years] does not partake in fish like I..The washing machine is in the fish room [part 1] but she don't even want to talk to me when in here , not about fish ..
    She has had to ask to what to shut off a couple times before when she called saying there is water on the floor in the wash room .. It really is not a simple the whatever over there answer although it is also .She has managed and I am sure cursed me . I love her .
    I make water ! I use water . I keep water ..
    I have been told and even seen fish like water ?
    So back to needing a new water heater . I call back home and she answers [she knows I am delinquent while at work and is nice to me ] .I say ; there is no warm water ? she says no . I say have you looked to see if I left water running ?
    She said where ? I love her and we shortly worked that out ..I told her to put on her garden boots to insulated her or just stay out at this point .It was like 10 am and 4 hours is not the record ,that was the first and well I DON'T KEEP COUNT! She put her garden boots on and shut off the water ..I got leads all over and 3 circuits running my room[s]. 1 will fry you . She loves me and knows how important fish are to me .
    Water makes concrete harder so I will never have a hole but .
    Without failure success would never taste so sweet !
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhFp68wjRUU
    ^^ My fish room tour by Richsfishes ^^
    Got rams ?

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

Add me to the list too Liz. Just did a small one today. But my first flood and worst was about 20 yrs ago. I had a 125 gal. tank in the living room, on a lovely area rug. The tank cracked and about 50 gal, at least, poured out onto my lovely rug, and all over the living room hardwood floor. Late at night of course. It was a nightmare night. But the only fish loss was a large pleco who had a rock fall onto him while I frantically emptied the tank into a kiddie pool I drug in from outside. A very bad night, and had to throw out my rug.
    Barb

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

Real Name
    Brian

Tom, tell her at least she knows where you are and you're not at the local pub running up bar tabs

Real Name
    Willie

We should set up a system where we check in every time the fish room floods.

I change water every day so flooding is at least a weekly occurrence. . Fortunately, the fish room is in the basement with a concrete floor and a drain!
    At my age, everything is irritating.

I bet I'd give you a run for your money, Willie. I just had another one. This one was in my office with the Pergo floor so I had to vacuum and mop it up. I've been doing fish since 2001. If I haven't learned not to flood by now, there's little hope that I ever will.
    Mama Bear

I totally respect the flood!

Having worked with fish since 2004 or so, i've flooded an aquarium shop with freshwater, Ive flooded an aquarium shop with Saltwater (MUCH) worse, ive flooded clients yards with 26+THOUSAND gallons over 24 hours, Ive flooded basements through outside walls, I had a sink drain clog running a python drain on a 200 gallon tank and completely flood all of my kitchen drawers, floor and half my living room in an upstairs apartment...annnnd Ive overflowed my 240 gallon tank 2x and also had it completely sheer crack across the face, losing 100+gallons out into my living room tile after the exploded tank.

My wife doesnt even care that she sees my head cocked at an odd angle when i hear the tell-0tale sound of water running through supply lines and ask if she's running laundry, or if the toilet is stuck...i am KEENLY attuned to the sound of running water!

Best part is that having seen the worst of the worst its all pretty simple to handle and all in the same way...Calm stepwise removal of most water first, then drying up puddles, then repair of anything that can mold!

Good luck and minor floods only in the future!
    Last edited by Xirxes; 01-26-2020 at 03:32 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12