ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: How do you define a discus's gender when they are 5 inch?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Donny

Default How do you define a discus's gender when they are 5 inch?

Trying to learn more on how to distinguish a discus's sex when they are 5+ inches. Does anyone know? I have this one in my tank but don't know it being a male or female.

http://imgur.com/gallery/Jf3e35k

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Default Re: How do you define a discus's gender when they are 5 inch?

My guess would be male based on dorsal/anal fin shape...guess being the key work

I say female and rose red male

Jeanne

Imagine if all humans had ding dangs. All ding dangs are not created equal. General rule is females have bigger, fatter, blunt ding dangs. Males more pointy. Still, those rules aren't bible. Only way to know for sure is catching them in the act. Watch eggs come out of ding dang = female. No eggs = male. Both with eggs = lesbo discus pair. No eggs = man love Tuesdays.

Brown based red strains provide a pretty consistent (not 100 %) cheat... females more red while males tend to be more towards ginger, yellow, brown portion of spectrum (if looking at one group from same spawn). Still, those cheats aren't 100%... just trends but not rare to be surprised by fish that break those trends.
    -Elliot

I used to love to play this game when I was new. But even with my own fish I can't even guess. I judge by concentrating on the underline but the best fish don't show the rise in the breeding area. Fins can be deceptive as well. Fish grow at different rates. The larger one of two the same age is usually a male, but not always.These days unless it it obvious I don't even like to guess.
    Mama Bear