ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ken’s Fish

Default Ken’s Fish

I purchased three 300 watt heaters from Ken’s Fish and plugged all of them into my controller. Unfortunately, none of the heaters stay on long enough to heat my 100 gallon tank. The heaters will glow for 10 seconds, then turn off for 50 seconds (give or take), then repeat....In order to get the tank to temp, I replaced the three heaters from Ken’s with two 300 watt Jaeger heaters and they provided the required heat.

Since the heaters are still under warranty, I emailed Ken’s Fish regarding the inability of the heaters (all 900 watts) to heat the tank, plus I left two phone messages for them. Unfortunately, Ken’s Fish will not respond. Has anyone else received this lack of customer service from Ken’s?

Default Re: Ken’s Fish

I try to get most of my stuff from Jehmco. They are the only fish stuff supply people I know that only take orders over the phone. The person you talk to usually knows the answer to any question but if not finds someone who knows the answer. They are simply a pleasure to deal with.

I've used Ken's Fish when Jehmco didn't have what I needed. Everything went smoothly with my internet purchase but I don't know how it would have gone if there was a problem. That's the best way to loose a customer.
    Mama Bear

First off don't know if it's entirely Kens fault what kind of heaters did you purchase

Jeanne

Quote Originally Posted by Sturiosoma View Post
    First off don't know if it's entirely Kens fault what kind of heaters did you purchase

Jeanne
    Don't you think that the retailer should stand behind the product he sells?
    Mama Bear

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

I agree with Liz. The malfunctioning heaters may not be Ken's fault, but he should stand behind his products.

Did you try the heaters plugged directly into a power socket? Perhaps the prob is the controller??

Either way his lack of response to your requests for assistance is not only bad business, its just rude.
    Last edited by danotaylor; 12-14-2019 at 07:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Don't you think that the retailer should stand behind the product he sells?
    Absolutely I do I have dealt with Kens for umpteen years and never had a problem, I would continue with the phone calls, he could be back logged given the holiday season

Jeanne

Though I have not spent a lot of money at Ken’s, I have also been dealing with them for umpteen years as well. I have never had an issue that required a post sale contact with them, like now with my heaters. I would think that two calls and an email would be sufficient to get any response, including “are they plugged in?” Regarding the continue with the calls. I appreciate that advice, but I think I’ve learned enough.

In contrast, I also buy from Jehmco, where I did have to contact them once regarding a food order. USPS played football with the package, thus ruining the contents for me. Once notified, Jehmco quickly and easily replaced the order. I will do my best to continue to support them.

Real Name
    Daniel

I'm with you Craig, an email and 2 calls is more effort that you should have had to put in. Businesses should be quick to remedy grievances or problems with their products, it's part of their responsibility to their customers. The fact that you are a faithful, returning customer makes it even worse...

Quote Originally Posted by CraigJ View Post
    Though I have not spent a lot of money at Ken’s, I have also been dealing with them for umpteen years as well. I have never had an issue that required a post sale contact with them, like now with my heaters. I would think that two calls and an email would be sufficient to get any response, including “are they plugged in?” Regarding the continue with the calls. I appreciate that advice, but I think I’ve learned enough.

In contrast, I also buy from Jehmco, where I did have to contact them once regarding a food order. USPS played football with the package, thus ruining the contents for me. Once notified, Jehmco quickly and easily replaced the order. I will do my best to continue to support them.
    Also if you go to Kens website there are detailed instructions for making a return and you don't have to contact him

Jeanne

Real Name
    Willie

Unfortunately I’ve had a similar experience with Ken’s Fish. I ordered 20 thermometers from them and 6 showed very different readings from the rest. I called and sent email and never got a response. These things are not a lot of money, but it’s more the principle of responding to your customer. Jehmco gets my business now.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Unfortunately I’ve had a similar experience with Ken’s Fish. I ordered 20 thermometers from them and 6 showed very different readings from the rest. I called and sent email and never got a response. These things are not a lot of money, but it’s more the principle of responding to your customer. Jehmco gets my business now.

Willie
    That's good stuff right there Willie 20 cheap thermometers

Jeanne

Registered Member

I have also made many purchases from Kensfish. He is notorious for not responding to emails and not returning phone calls. I’ve actually managed to speak to him on the phone once or twice when he actually picked up the phone when I had an issue with an order, but other than that he typically doesn’t respond. He’s a nice guy when you actually get to talk to him, but the customer service is REALLY lacking. I try to use JehmCo whenever I can too.
    TONY

Registered Member

I use Ken's for most of my needs, but I have had problems with getting responses when something goes wrong. If you used PayPal like I do you can email Ken and let them know you are going to file a complaint with them. This provided me with a prompt response. Hope this helps.

Rick

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rick S View Post
    I use Ken's for most of my needs, but I have had problems with getting responses when something goes wrong. If you used PayPal like I do you can email Ken and let them know you are going to file a complaint with them. This provided me with a prompt response. Hope this helps.

Rick
    Good to know��
    TONY

Real Name
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by Sturiosoma View Post
    That's good stuff right there Willie 20 cheap thermometers

Jeanne
    He didn't say there were cheap Jeanne, SMH. He said they weren't a lot of money, siting the principle of the matter over the cost, which everyone except you seems to agree with...
    "These things are not a lot of money, but it’s more the principle of responding to your customer."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast