AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help! Discus has expanded gill.

Registered Member

Default Help! Discus has expanded gill.

My discus is having an extreme gill flair issue in one gill and I can't figure out why. So I have already done a ton of research on this issue and have heard all of the usual suspects, gill flukes, copepods, ammonia poisoning, etc... I have, over the past several months, treated with prazipro, API general cure, API furan 2, seachem paraguard, and seachem metroplex mixed into a homemade beefheart paste while using seachem focus to ensure proper medicine bondage to the food. Nothing has solved his gill issue. It did seem at one point that he was getting better on the metroplex, but during week 2 of the treatment it went back to looking just as bad as it did from day one. I came downstairs today and his gill was more expanded than I'd ever seen it before. I don't know what to do anymore. A little backstory on this fish; I've had him for about a year and bought him online from a great dealer when he was already 5" in diameter. Upon arrival there was no issues at all with him or any of the other fish I ordered. I put him in a 20 gallon quarantine with one other discus for several weeks while treating him with metro and prazipro. He ate like a beast. He would eat pellets, frozen, freeze dried and anything else he could find. he also Never showed the gill problem. He then after around month 2 stopped eating pellets all together for what seemed to be no reason. I feed a mix of Sera discus pellets and Tetra XL color granules for my dry food. He wouldn't touch either. He however still ate frozen and freeze dried no problem. After the quarantine I moved him and several other discus into a 55 setup. This 55 setup was initially a bare-bottom tank with two 55 hang on the back filters on it and a 40 gallon sponge filter in it as well. In this tank he did fine but still would not eat pellets. after around 2 or 3 months in the big tank I had noticed the gill issue, and that he wasn't able to eat as well (he would always miss his target when feeding.) It seemed like this happened all overnight. He has no eye clouding and has never once pooped white feces, and my ammonia was at 0 along with nitrite and nitrate was around 20 at the time. So since he was becoming so bad at eating and losing weight fast since the other discus easily out-competed him for food, i found that the only way to get him to eat well was with a feeding cone. so flash forward to now and the 55 is now a planted 55 with the same filtration and with the addition of 2 plecos, some snails and 2 kribensis cihlids (all of which were quarantined.) since the problem with the gill hadn't been fixing itself like I'd hoped with regular water changes and a healthy diet, I decided to resort to medicine (i was avoiding dosing with medicines if the gill problem was stress related.) for two months now I hand fed him medicated food and treated my water all to no avail, and now he only seems worse. Can anyone please help me? I love my fish and have come to an end of ideas. he still eats frozen but now spits out freeze dried. He's got a good feeding mentality but its very slow to get the food into his mouth (he either misses the food falling from the cone or has his food stolen because he likes to spit it out all the time and try to eat it again)

just to summarize my tank, feeding, and maintenance

tank size: 55 gallons
    filtration: two 55 gallon hang-on filters and one 40 gallon sponge filter
    water changes: 30% weekly
    feeding: large variety of frozen (mysis, brine, bloodworms, krill, etc...) live black worms, tetra XL granules and sera discus granules, freeze dried black worms. Types of food vary daily and feeding times are once daily (several foods during feeding, usually pellets along with some frozen)
    tank is planted.
    medicines used: API Furan 2, API General cure, Seachem metroplex (in food), Seachem paraguard.
    tank parameters as of 12/19/2019: AM: 0 NITRITE: 0 NITRATE: around 15-20

here are some pictures of him. his right gill is the one with the issue. his left gill is perfectly fine. (sorry if the pictures aren't very good, they hate when i follow them around with the black scary picture box)

1FC9B5FF-9CFE-411C-9B4E-BB198C5478F3.jpg8DA2E55F-FA4F-44AE-BAFA-D54FE3CBB5F3.jpg197ECAD4-4459-495E-A237-8D16DF5A2CA2.jpg8961F695-6E21-48B9-B9C6-2D812C6730E8.jpg

Registered Member

Default Re: Help! Discus has expanded gill.

Sorry current nitrates are around 10. past was 15-20

If there has been a long standing fluke infestation it can make gill tissue come out as the fish breaths. If that's what it is, it won't get better.
    Mama Bear

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    If there has been a long standing fluke infestation it can make gill tissue come out as the fish breaths. If that's what it is, it won't get better.
    Liz, would salt soothe this? Perhaps a prazi treatment + salt? or is it too late?

Registered Member

Could have a blown Gill from microbubbles, either way it’s not going to heal, I have a discus with a blown gill and nothing worked, it’s been a year, the fish eats and grows just fine

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

This looks different than a blown gill; blown gills are permanent. This is inflamed and I seen some recover from it. I'd do a salt treatment.

A salt treatment certainly won't do any harm. I wouldn't throw any more drugs at him.
    Mama Bear

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Op, you can do salt at 1tbs/10g it should help.

Registered Member

thank you everyone for your advice!

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Hmm, that’s discouraging. It’s a shame there’s no sure-fire way to cure this issue. Thank you for your reply!

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyO View Post
    Could have a blown Gill from microbubbles, either way it’s not going to heal, I have a discus with a blown gill and nothing worked, it’s been a year, the fish eats and grows just fine
    I’m glad to hear that your fish is still okay even with the issue. I’ll have to do some research on micro bubbles. Thanks for your help!

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mando View Post
    This looks different than a blown gill; blown gills are permanent. This is inflamed and I seen some recover from it. I'd do a salt treatment.
    I’ll try doing regular salt doses and see if it helps. Thanks!

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mando View Post
    Op, you can do salt at 1tbs/10g it should help.
    Thank you! I always keep salt handy so I’ve started treatment right away

Registered Member

See a vet. It could be a bacterial infection which will likely need prescription antibiotics.

Real Name
    Mervin

What would salt do? I see something that looks deformed. Or late stage trauma. To me it's like dumping salt on a broken finger. They don't look inflammed. Nice red or pink gills is what you want.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast