ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help! Discus has expanded gill.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Default Re: Help! Discus has expanded gill.

I don’t see anything deformed or gill material sticking out. I think my phone is playing tricks on me. I only see some slight red on the gill plate and the plate opening a bit wider than normal.

Real Name
    Mervin

Gill just looks tranluscent to me. I see many discus and especially angles like that, especialy lighter colored ones. I can't see the deformity in the pic. It might be something that you haven't noticed before. I had a discus once with a clipped gill plate and didn't notice it til I had him for a while.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    See a vet. It could be a bacterial infection which will likely need prescription antibiotics.
    I unfortunately have no fish vets in my area. Believe me I’ve looked. But I’ll look into the bacterial side of things. Thanks!

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by bluelagoon View Post
    What would salt do? I see something that looks deformed. Or late stage trauma. To me it's like dumping salt on a broken finger. They don't look inflammed. Nice red or pink gills is what you want.
    What trauma do you think could’ve caused it? When I transfer my fish I don’t use nets, I actually use a 1 gallon plastic bag and let the fish swim in, allowing the fish to be free swimming throughout the whole process and not stuck in a net. Other than the transfer from quarantine, I can’t think of any other traumatic events. Thank you for your reply!

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mando View Post
    I don’t see anything deformed or gill material sticking out. I think my phone is playing tricks on me. I only see some slight red on the gill plate and the plate opening a bit wider than normal.
    I wish I could get a better picture. The Gill Plate is open pretty wide, and the gills themselves seem a little messed up. Almost like they aren’t layered evenly like a gill normally is. Also there’s a fine clear membrane that seems to act like a seal for the gill that is messed up on this side but not on the other.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by bluelagoon View Post
    Gill just looks tranluscent to me. I see many discus and especially angles like that, especialy lighter colored ones. I can't see the deformity in the pic. It might be something that you haven't noticed before. I had a discus once with a clipped gill plate and didn't notice it til I had him for a while.
    I might try to get a better picture of it so it’s easier to see. I’m most concerned about how wide the gill is stuck open.

Real Name
    Mervin

Quote Originally Posted by Nsfaquatics View Post
    What trauma do you think could’ve caused it? When I transfer my fish I don’t use nets, I actually use a 1 gallon plastic bag and let the fish swim in, allowing the fish to be free swimming throughout the whole process and not stuck in a net. Other than the transfer from quarantine, I can’t think of any other traumatic events. Thank you for your reply!
    Trauma was not inflicted by you. Trauma can be caused by a number of things, like gill flukes for example, which were mentioned. But may or may not be the case. Signs a gill fluke infection you will see fish shaking their head and a slight swim backward movement.

Real Name
    Mervin

Does it look like a malformed piece of skin flap at the edge of the gill? Sorta acts like a heart valve would act, while breathing.

ps..Usually they will rest on gill and only use one at times, when gill flukes are present.
    Last edited by bluelagoon; 12-24-2019 at 09:54 AM. Reason: added ps

Registered Member

I had a guy with the same symptoms as you, when I accepted he didn't eat for a long time, I kept him alone in a 50 liter tank, I fed Artemia alive, he started eating. and went to the toilet, but for 4 weeks there was no physical recovery, very thin, enlarged and moving slowly. We hope to have your comments. Would like to thank.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12