AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FIRST AID KIT for common or deadly discus maladies

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Eric

Default FIRST AID KIT for common or deadly discus maladies

As a pharmacist I have some doctors that are “boutique” providers (the patient pays ca$h for exclusive rights to a physician pretty much any time. They are each month given a box which contains sufficient meds for humans which would assist or cure disease states. The box would contain steroids, antibiotics, anti inflammatory, etc. I purpose a sticky be made with a check list for discus owners so when they have an emergency on the holiday and no one is open they have something.
    FORMAT
    DRUG NAME.
    COVERAGE
    DOSE
    DURATION
    KEEP OR REMOVE LEAVE filter, carbon, Purigen, etc.
    CONTRAINDICATIONS
    INFECTED FISH MAY OR MAY NOT REMAIN IN COMMUNITY TANK DURING TREATMENT

THERE IS in merely in idea form but I think would be great use to community at large

I’m absolutely NO computer guru in setting up forms or stickies in a forum!
    What do you all think?
    Last edited by Tefloncat; 12-21-2019 at 03:45 PM. Reason: unintentionally sent as rewriting ***

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: FIRST AID KIT for common or deadly discus maladies

I like this idea!

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

I do also.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Tom

I like the idea ..I am interested to see what I may be missing ?
    I have a small arsenal of fish drugs/treatments on hand .
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhFp68wjRUU
    ^^ My fish room tour by Richsfishes ^^
    Got rams ?

There are things that can't be cured and things that cannot. I will do my best to speak to each. I just need to get what I know together and find the best words. I can do this. I have been through it all.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Eric

I would think it would have an algorithm of some sort based on MOST common disease state followed by a treatment format. After basic controllable FIRST AID is attempted (x% wc, or turn temp to y°, turn lights off for x day, etc)*.
    * I didn’t even touch salt, there are as many suggestions of doses as there are salt bodies of water on Earth!
    The med box would contain meds that ideally could cover more than 1 disease state and a sufficient day supply to cover 1 treatments worth (just remember to replace used item).
    I think there are MANY aquarist who would gladly pay for a ichthyologic medication 1st aid kit. The pics especially would help as a pic is worth a 1,000 words

Registered Member

Maybe I'm a bit slow but I have no idea what you're talking about. Do you mean assembling a list of diseases and treatment or purchasing the actual products for a "just in case" situation? If the latter then take into account the medication going out of date, incorrect storage...ect, making the medication useless or weak at best. Please clearify, and for the love of all things holy, check your spelling and grammer, sometimes it's almost impossible to understand what point the posters are tying to make.

Real Name
    Mervin

There are already stickers in the medicine cabinet on this forum about meds and what and how to use them. There are only a few meds that you need on hand at any time.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Don Speers

As a physician I also see the utility of this. I liken it to an ER crash cart. Certain medications are so critical that you don't want to wait even minutes to acquire for administration. In addition management protocols for either medical or traumatic emergencies are on hand. The number of medications are limited in part due to the issue of expiration.

For the less experienced brethren, including myself, a document with the most common urgent diseases including pictures (limited to conditions that do not afford sufficient time to obtain treatment online), suggested medication protocols: dose, duration, technique (dip vs HT isolation vs display tank treatment) & alternatives, as well as a suggested on hand formulary would be a great. Whether someone would be willing to do this is another question. Also given the information already available I am unsure how much this would add. I need to more fully review what is already available in order to answer that last question.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Eric

My point was to put all this type of knowledge in one readily accessible site on he forum. As opposed to either hunting down questionable information or otherwise irritating some one from the forum. I truly believe that when it comes to knowledge concerning discus, their diseases and treatment that if the majority of the people agree to the same treatment then that should be 1st line therapy. I know I might step on some toes, but, while outlying treatments may work, or may have worked in the past, let’s keep it up to date

Real Name
    Mervin

I keep furan2 on hand. If you ever come across Columnaris, this can't wait and should be treated right away. It only takes a matter of hours to a few days to kill fish. It would be one of those crash cart meds like mentioned.

Real Name
    Tom

I have a few things [ maybe more then a few ?] but most important and often my go to for everything is Potassium permanganate ..
    Many have always said the best med is clean water so I figure the next best med must one that can be used in good times also without any negative effects and an actual gain ..
    PP for the win !
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhFp68wjRUU
    ^^ My fish room tour by Richsfishes ^^
    Got rams ?

Real Name
    Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by coralbandit View Post
    I have a few things [ maybe more then a few ?] but most important and often my go to for everything is Potassium permanganate ..
    Many have always said the best med is clean water so I figure the next best med must one that can be used in good times also without any negative effects and an actual gain ..
    PP for the win !
    PP is my 'go to' as well, along with-- as you say-- clean water.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Eric

I imagine a classic image of the disease state, 1st and 2nd drugs of choice, duration, toxicity. Dose and specials conditions for EACH KNOWN disease state.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Don Speers

Quote Originally Posted by bluelagoon View Post
    I keep furan2 on hand. If you ever come across Columnaris, this can't wait and should be treated right away. It only takes a matter of hours to a few days to kill fish. It would be one of those crash cart meds like mentioned.
    I am curious, do you use according to instructions. I ask because the directions for Furan 2 from API is substantially different in terms of duration than those of BiFuran from Hikari. I also find the attitude that they do not need to list the actual mg dosage on the MSDS dangerously cavalier. Plus, most of what you are buying is salt, not antibiotics.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast