AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FIRST AID KIT for common or deadly discus maladies

Real Name
    Mervin

Default Re: FIRST AID KIT for common or deadly discus maladies

Yes, make sure it's always pure and no fillers. I always use pure stuff. It will say 100% pure Nitrofurazone. I bought mine from anglesplus.com. The API is not pure. I haven't seen Bifuran which is two ingedients in a while. That's where the name Furan 2 originated. However they don't put Furazolidone in it any more and just use the one ingedient but kept the name Furan2. Kanamycin is used more these days with Nitrofurazone.

Registered Member

Not a bad idea for fish. If you end up killing the fish its sad but not illegal.
    Any doctor providing a just in case packet for patients is committing a crime and the pharmacist, if aware and not reporting it to the state, is complicit.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Don Speers

Quote Originally Posted by captainandy View Post
    Not a bad idea for fish. If you end up killing the fish its sad but not illegal.
    Any doctor providing a just in case packet for patients is committing a crime and the pharmacist, if aware and not reporting it to the state, is complicit.
    Ethically suspect but per se illegal? Why?

Mervin, thanks much for the info.

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Don I am not fully versed in the laws here in the US as my health education was in Australia, but it's because for human treatment the antibiotic drugs used are "prescription only" drugs. It is the MD's responsibility to make sure that prescription meds are given for the right ailment, at the right dose, by the right route, with the right time frame, for the right patient, etc. The pharmacist is a secondary check during the dispensing process. If prescription meds were given to humans for "just in case" scenarios and the wrong drug, dose etc was taken causing harm or death, then the MD prescribing would ultimately be deemed at fault by law.
    I hope the US doesn't go the same route as Canada with restricting access to meds we can readily get and use as we play MD for our fishes...
    Last edited by danotaylor; 12-29-2019 at 05:09 AM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Eric

As an FYI, providers supplying a just in case box to pats is NOT illegal, the pt is informed which med to take by the provider. Think travel medication, ie if you go to altitude then use Diamox per directions, if you get travelers diarrhea you take Cipro per directions supplied, etc.

Real Name
    Mervin

My dortor prescribes drugs PRN (use as needed) meds for me. Sometimes I use them, sometimes I don't. The order is good for a year. Will even order me PRN antibiotics in case I get pneumonia.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Don Speers

In a way everyone is correct, with the caveat that in the US most physician misbehavior including this is covered under medical malpractice rather than criminal law. PRN drugs can be used with select patients but to a large degree is frowned upon as patients will on occasion use sources other than the prescribing provider to decide who, what, when, how much and how long to take said PRN meds. I very rarely (as in almost never) wrote prn medications and only with patients I was SURE would follow my instructions for use, and always ended my counseling with the precaution of "NEVER, NEVER, NEVER use this on anyone for anything other than exactly what we discussed unless you clear it with me first."

My experience as a young physician did influence my attitude and subsequent behavior, gave a patient on a friday a prn antibiotic for possible strep throat awaiting culture results (30 years ago we did not have an immediate test for this). Patient was part of a unit doing week long mountain training starting that weekend, and I had means to contact the unit medic on Monday with results. Unfortunately, another member of his unit was even sicker with a sore throat, and in a burst of brilliance after hours that Friday, the two of them decided it must be strep and he gave 1/2 of his Rx to his friend, even though he was not actually taking his half. His friend was allergic to penicillin but neither recognized that amoxicillin was a risk. To this day I don't get how, these were both highly trained, intelligent and skilled special ops soldiers. Luckily the second soldier was able to get immediate appropriate medical care for his full blown anaphylaxis, and didn't die. Regardless, it was my fault. I picked the wrong patient and did not appropriately counsel him. Would this have been malpractice had the second individual died, probably. Not illegal, but certainly a breech of medical standards.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Eric

I found this online as a starting point. https://www.aqueon.com/articles/aqua...ase-prevention I was thinking if anyone can supplies pics with classic signs of disease states it would help. Then we could add 1st line therapy for the disease state. We could then start a list of drugs to have on hand for the most common disease states

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12