ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Tank Suggestions?

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Default New Tank Suggestions?

So, I have decided to part ways with my current stock and my red sea 350 reefer (I found my blue faced blue rim discus). I posted stock/tank on offerup a few seconds ago. The plan is that I want something twice the size. 140 - 220 gallons. However, I do not want the standard 18" wide tank. I want something that mimics the width of the red sea.

I do not want to spend $1,950 on a tank w/ stand this time around. I want to buy just the glass and I will build a custom stand for it. Some of you have seen my weekend home projects and you know I'm very handy. I want some suggestions on tanks whether it's glass or plexi. Info such as a good source, tanks that are budget friendly, or perhaps a tank you have seen for sale recently, etc. If it does not have a skimmer, I can add one. This tank, like my current tank, will have a sump and a canister. (maybe a 2nd canister)

I want the tank a bit wider than normal because I found and have some VERY nice cypress knees single and clusters that I will use as the hardscape. I have one cluster that has about 6 knees together that looks amazing and has a height of 24".

This will be a single strain tank w/ thin, light-brown sand, crypts at the base of the knees and javamoss all over the knees, no CO2. That's it! simple hardscape. Background will be a paper background that benefit the red discus.

open to idea's and suggestions.

Edit: my 800th post
    Keeping my blue rim golden sanmerahs.
    Last edited by Mando; 12-22-2019 at 10:25 PM.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: New Tank Suggestions?

Hi Armando, I love the footprint of a 180, (6x2x2 feet) but sounds you might want something a bit taller for your knees. I would suggest keeping an eye on craigs list, next door etc. for a used tank. I found my 230 acrylic on craigs list and got the tank, stand, canopy, sump etc for $1100.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Hi Armando, I love the footprint of a 180, (6x2x2 feet) but sounds you might want something a bit taller for your knees. I would suggest keeping an eye on craigs list, next door etc. for a used tank. I found my 230 acrylic on craigs list and got the tank, stand, canopy, sump etc for $1100.
    Pat
    That is a steal, Pat! I’m ok with the knees a little above water. I was looking at some acrylic tanks and a 72x24x30 was about $2300. Tank alone. I, too, think that craigslist will be the way to go.

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Mando View Post
    That is a steal, Pat! I’m ok with the knees a little above water. I was looking at some acrylic tanks and a 72x24x30 was about $2300. Tank alone. I, too, think that craigslist will be the way to go.
    My 230 is about that dimension Armando. Helps to have long arms or long tools.
    Pat

I say go big or go home, LOL I like to fill the wall as far as length goes and 24" is a good width as for depth I'm thinking your gonna want to be at 27 to 30 to accommodate your knees

Jeanne

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Quote Originally Posted by Sturiosoma View Post
    I say go big or go home, LOL I like to fill the wall as far as length goes and 24" is a good width as for depth I'm thinking your gonna want to be at 27 to 30 to accommodate your knees

Jeanne
    Yep! May do a 230. I found a few with canopy that matches my bed room set at $500 mark. Hell of a steal! Includes sump, pumps, the whole 9 yards.

Mando, I already love the thread. Thinking up something awesome. I've had Cypress knees before and they have fit in my 150. So how big are the knees you have? Regardless, I'm all about adding length to tanks. To me it's crazy how you can sacrifice several inches on height and add them too late yeah get several feet of length plan lowering the height of a standard tank like a 150. You can also at a little bit to width.

How long are you thinking? Just curious. Do you have any changes and levels in your house on the first floor? If so, a dream of mine that I hope comes true in the future is to build an indoor pond on the first floor, yet at some point have a 1 and a half or two foot change in level of the actual downstairs so that I rap or continue indoor pond in a way that I can insert a viewing pane. Driftwood pieces would have parts that stick out/above water line. Low light ferns growing on exposed limbs. Under stock pond (would love at least 500 gallon; objective 1000+ gallon pond) with only 12-15 single strain discus group of brown based reds (might add 1 or 2 ica or RT's). That alone would entertain me forever. I would love to watch them populate an indoor pond on their own. There's like I've had several pairs in the past be strong enough parents to raise fry in a community tank.

Okay, sorry, I squirreled off into my own dream land but, Seriously, please post for you end up doing!
    -Elliot

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Quote Originally Posted by pastry View Post
    Mando, I already love the thread. Thinking up something awesome. I've had Cypress knees before and they have fit in my 150. So how big are the knees you have? Regardless, I'm all about adding length to tanks. To me it's crazy how you can sacrifice several inches on height and add them too late yeah get several feet of length plan lowering the height of a standard tank like a 150. You can also at a little bit to width.

How long are you thinking? Just curious. Do you have any changes and levels in your house on the first floor? If so, a dream of mine that I hope comes true in the future is to build an indoor pond on the first floor, yet at some point have a 1 and a half or two foot change in level of the actual downstairs so that I rap or continue indoor pond in a way that I can insert a viewing pane. Driftwood pieces would have parts that stick out/above water line. Low light ferns growing on exposed limbs. Under stock pond (would love at least 500 gallon; objective 1000+ gallon pond) with only 12-15 single strain discus group of brown based reds (might add 1 or 2 ica or RT's). That alone would entertain me forever. I would love to watch them populate an indoor pond on their own. There's like I've had several pairs in the past be strong enough parents to raise fry in a community tank.

Okay, sorry, I squirreled off into my own dream land but, Seriously, please post for you end up doing!
    Go off all you want!! That pond idea is insane! But it’s my kind of idea!!! I’d do it in a heart beat.

So I ended up finding a 180g 72x24x30 with nice stand and canopy. Unfortunately, When I got there, the cabinet had fresh termite droppings and the owner did admit that they have termite in one of the bedrooms. Needless to say, I got the tank, 3 hydra lamps that cost the owner about $700 a piece, all the salt water equipment (not needed skimmer, reactor, dosing pump, etc) for $500.

I googled some stands and, yea, that’s not happening. Stands were going for $2,200 plus. Being as handy as I am, I got to building my own stand. See the photos below. I’m still pending the inside floor, cabinet doors, canopy, and paint. The stand was done today in about 2 hours of planning and 6 hours of labor.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

I spent $140 on the core material and about $135 on the front panel and trimmings.

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Looks the goods mate!

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    Looks the goods mate!
    Thank you, Sir! I will do plumbing today and hopefully get the floor, cabinet doors, and canopy done this weekend. I also have someone coming to pick up all the discus this weekend. This will be a new home for my San merah cross and the blue face blue rim that I'll be getting soon.

I'm planning in replicating red sea's plumbing since it is the quietest tank I've ever seen. They have a regulator attached to the water going into the sump and I believe this is key. I will try to find this regulator online. I'll need two since this tank has two skimmers. The tank also came with two pond pumps that I may replace with two reef octopus. It all depends on how the pond pumps sound. It does have some material underneath the pumps that provide a cushion and i'm hoping this was a successful attempt to silence the pump by the previous owners.

By the way, the stand and canopy will be painted white and my room is getting a nice pale gray so it will look nicely against the wall. I'm bringing the shrimp tank to my office.
    Last edited by Mando; 12-30-2019 at 10:43 AM.

I LOVE the use of 4x4's. I know 2x4s stood upright could hold the weight but why not over engineer? I'm following close because I intend to make a new stand for mine.

Are you going to do a sump? That's one thing I always think about when I dream about making my next stand. Even if I choose not to use a sump, I always plan to make a stand that if I decide later on to put a sump then I want to be able to do so by simply opening a side entrance wide enough for at least a 30 gallon tank. I can't do that with my current one.
    -Elliot

I had a tumultuous 4 year relationship with a top notch contractor who considered himself to be a foundation man at heart ie. he knew how to hold it up. I still respect his knowledge. He actually believed me when I told him how much my tanks weighed. He knew what the water weighed. When I moved in with him, he made the stands for all the tanks in the fish he built for me using 4X4's as supports. AND...since he asked for the foot prints of all the tanks, none of the uprights blocked the view of any other tank.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Pat

It looks great Armando, a couple suggestions. Are you putting a sump in the stand? If so plan on how you are getting the sump into the stand. You could consider having a removable panel on one or both ends of the stand. This also means adding a floor to the inside of the stand. Paint the inside of the stand with waterproof paint.
    Pat

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast