ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Tank Suggestions?

Real Name
    Mark

Default Re: New Tank Suggestions?

I just read thru the post and he said he wanted a sump and canister. The removable panel is the best option, the trick is having enough room to the side to remove it in a hurry if something goes wrong. My reason for posting was to ask about the “regulator”. If you are referring to a valve, I would recommend a gate style valve rather than the ball type from HD or Lowe’s. The reason is the gate will give you better control of flow. You can order them online from a company called Savko.com. I use one on both the drain and the output of my return. Together you can tune for silence. Another option depending on floor plan would be in a room behind the tank for the sump. I had a friend that put his sump in a crawl space,not easy to access but it worked for him. It’s all about what works for you and the fish.

Real Name
    Jake

Armando,

I have enjoyed following your progress so far! The stand build pictures look great (and do I detect a slight modification to the style the KingOfDIY uses for his stands?).

I read through and didn't see any details about a sump - did the previous owner sell you a sump as well? What are the dimensions on it? Like others have pointed out, you might want to consider a removable side panel to install the sump - it might be a tight fit but I'm sure you're handy enough to figure something out. As far as pumps go, I love (so far) the DC return pump I'm currently using - it's a Current USA DC Return Pump. I've also heard great things about the Reef Octopus and EcoTech DC return pumps. I will be honest here - I've used both AC and DC return pumps. If you're going for silence, DC pumps are the way to go. As far as overflow design is concerned, the Bean-Animal style is the quietest I have experienced. However, that requires 3 pipes and it's hard to tell what the tank you've got is made for.

I also second Pat's recommendation about waterproofing the inside bottom of the stand.

Great progress!

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Quote Originally Posted by pastry View Post
    I LOVE the use of 4x4's. I know 2x4s stood upright could hold the weight but why not over engineer? I'm following close because I intend to make a new stand for mine.

Are you going to do a sump? That's one thing I always think about when I dream about making my next stand. Even if I choose not to use a sump, I always plan to make a stand that if I decide later on to put a sump then I want to be able to do so by simply opening a side entrance wide enough for at least a 30 gallon tank. I can't do that with my current one.
    Not only 4x4's. If you look closely, next to the 4x4, there is a 2x4 supporting the top frame and the bottom frame. Each leg has a 2x4 and each corner has two 2x4's each.

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    I had a tumultuous 4 year relationship with a top notch contractor who considered himself to be a foundation man at heart ie. he knew how to hold it up. I still respect his knowledge. He actually believed me when I told him how much my tanks weighed. He knew what the water weighed. When I moved in with him, he made the stands for all the tanks in the fish he built for me using 4X4's as supports. AND...since he asked for the foot prints of all the tanks, none of the uprights blocked the view of any other tank.
    I did not want any surprises so I built it 4x4. These tanks are really heavy. I have to check the gallons any way. I have the same dimensions as Pat's and she said she has a 230g.

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    It looks great Armando, a couple suggestions. Are you putting a sump in the stand? If so plan on how you are getting the sump into the stand. You could consider having a removable panel on one or both ends of the stand. This also means adding a floor to the inside of the stand. Paint the inside of the stand with waterproof paint.
    Pat
    Hey, Patty. There is a side entry for the sump. The sump that came with the tank is very narrow and fits perfect. I'm still pending the floor, three cabient doors, and painting of the whole unit. I will line the floor with contact paper from HD.
    Last edited by Mando; 01-02-2020 at 10:06 AM.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Quote Originally Posted by Cove Beach View Post
    I just read thru the post and he said he wanted a sump and canister. The removable panel is the best option, the trick is having enough room to the side to remove it in a hurry if something goes wrong. My reason for posting was to ask about the “regulator”. If you are referring to a valve, I would recommend a gate style valve rather than the ball type from HD or Lowe’s. The reason is the gate will give you better control of flow. You can order them online from a company called Savko.com. I use one on both the drain and the output of my return. Together you can tune for silence. Another option depending on floor plan would be in a room behind the tank for the sump. I had a friend that put his sump in a crawl space,not easy to access but it worked for him. It’s all about what works for you and the fish.
    Yes, I was referring to the gate style valves! they work wonderfully in silencing the return water. Also, I could put the sump outside since I have the exterior wall drilled out for the aged drum. However, I will only do it if I cannot silence it.

Quote Originally Posted by AquaticNerd View Post
    Armando,

I have enjoyed following your progress so far! The stand build pictures look great (and do I detect a slight modification to the style the KingOfDIY uses for his stands?).

I read through and didn't see any details about a sump - did the previous owner sell you a sump as well? What are the dimensions on it? Like others have pointed out, you might want to consider a removable side panel to install the sump - it might be a tight fit but I'm sure you're handy enough to figure something out. As far as pumps go, I love (so far) the DC return pump I'm currently using - it's a Current USA DC Return Pump. I've also heard great things about the Reef Octopus and EcoTech DC return pumps. I will be honest here - I've used both AC and DC return pumps. If you're going for silence, DC pumps are the way to go. As far as overflow design is concerned, the Bean-Animal style is the quietest I have experienced. However, that requires 3 pipes and it's hard to tell what the tank you've got is made for.

I also second Pat's recommendation about waterproofing the inside bottom of the stand.

Great progress!
    It is a modified version of Joey! Good catch. The inside bottom of the stand will get the same Paper I used for the top of the stand (underneath the tank). It's a water resistant contact paper from HD. I use it for the sink cabinet and never had an issue with it. Also, I believe the two pumps that came with this tank are DC and I ran the pumps with bleached water to disinfect the pumps and the sump, and let me tell you, they were quiet!

My skimmer is not bean animal style, however, it looks like it came with a silencer as well. There is a wheel (?) that goes onto the PVC pipe and then it has a Bell (?) top that attaches to it.

Update: I'm going to post a before and after of the skimmers since they were full of coral. After a quick pressure wash, sanding, and painting them with plastidip, they came out perfection and look new. I've already installed the skimmers using silicone *1 and just letting it cure. I will do the floors sometime this weekend so I can get the plumbing done.
    Last edited by Mando; 01-02-2020 at 10:09 AM.

NIIICEE! Brother, get that thing going!
    -Elliot

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

I'm looking for a beige sand so I can start the tank this weekend and add the fish, any brand suggestion? I will seed the sump so there should not be an issue with a cycled tank. I have plenty of seeded material.

I used quickrete from HD (pool sand) for my shrimp tank but I do not want white, I want brown/beige sand and they were fully out of it. I will order it from Amazon today.
    Last edited by Mando; 01-16-2020 at 09:52 AM.

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

I use this from my local pool supply store mate, it is beautiful, very natural looking, does not pack down, and very easy to clean! It's also inert so won't change your water paramters.
    81dSNx842LL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

I see that it's 100% silica sand? I have about 80,000 lbs of natural silica sand sitting in the warehouse right now. It's a shame how cheap I buy this vs what they go for in retail stores.

Real Name
    Daniel

That's probably enough for what you need, LOL. Yes the pool filter stuff is about $14 for 50#, it's graded for size which stops it packing, and has been washed so it only needs 1-2 rinses and it's good to go.

So Mando, mate, what are you gonna put in this beast tank?
    Last edited by danotaylor; 01-16-2020 at 02:40 PM.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    That's probably enough for what you need, LOL. Yes the pool filter stuff is about $14 for 50#, it's graded for size which stops it packing, and has been washed so it only needs 1-2 rinses and it's good to go.

So Mando, mate, what are you gonna put in this beast tank?
    I'm going to put my San merah cross with some blue faced blue rim san merahs. So, I will have 7 of each strain initially, and I'll get rid of 4 (2 from each strain) of my least favorite once they hit adult. Also, a school of tetras (neon & Harley quinns) that I've had for over 2 months in the shrimp tank will be going in. Lastly, I have 6 clown loaches in QT. I have one 5" clown loach with the discus already that has been there a little over 7 months and he needs his schooling mates. For now, I have my mixed stock in there since I sold my red sea tank. I'm selling that stock and hopefully someone buys all at once so they stick together.

Unfortunately, the cypress knees where too flamboyant despite have two thick tiles siliconed to it. As I was filling the tank yesterday, the biggest cypress knee bundle shot up to the surface and LUCKILY, the tile did not hit the glass or else I would have had over 100 gallons of water in my bed room floor. I could have just siliconed them directly onto the glass bottom, however, I wanted to get creative and create a valley with depth perception. It was stunning! but then, they floated away.

Danny, I bought the HTH sand, and I could not be happier. It's exactly the color I was looking for just like the one you suggested which I could not find locally.

I'm just weary about mixing all these fish as they came from different suppliers but I'm ready with all meds on deck. All fish have been in QT for a few months and are going through deworming process as we speak.

Real Name
    Daniel

Sounds great mate, looking forward to seeing everything come together! Maybe you can throw the Cypress knees in a container to soak for a few months??

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    Sounds great mate, looking forward to seeing everything come together! Maybe you can throw the Cypress knees in a container to soak for a few months??
    They will never absorb water. They are buoys. I was going to hallow them out but I was told they would rot.

Did you say you would get rid of the four least favorite adults once they reach adults? Mando, that's my brand of bourbon ... you know I love Brown based Reds! Please let me know when you decide to do that
    -Elliot

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Quote Originally Posted by pastry View Post
    Did you say you would get rid of the four least favorite adults once they reach adults? Mando, that's my brand of bourbon ... you know I love Brown based Reds! Please let me know when you decide to do that
    I will let you know . I'm experiencing high ammonia in this new tank. So strange; I must have lost my cycle when I left the redsea tank stagnant without water flow. I checked my aging barrel and there is no ammonia. Also, as far as noise comparison, it's definitely louder than my redsea tank but I have to tweak the plumbing later on when I get the regulators. The pumps do pump hard; I'm not sure the exact flow, but one pump is 10x stronger than my reef octopus pump, and this tank has two pumps. The pumps are noticeable but it's not as bad as the tank's draining system. I might use the reef pump for UV light.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Hi Armando, there is a company called universal rocks who have artificial cypress stumps https://www.universalrocks.com/fish/tree/cypress-stumps and cypress knees https://www.universalrocks.com/fish/tree/cypress-knees etc. I have some of their pieces and they hold up very well over time.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast