AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: My Discus Have Spawned!! Now what?

Registered Member

Default My Discus Have Spawned!! Now what?

It was so exciting to watch my discus spawning live for the first time last night after my daily water change! It was such a rewarding experience and I was over the moon!

I recently switched my HOB filter to a canister due to my wife's continuous complaint about the noise, and I'm experiencing mini cycles with ammonia spike (0.25 ~ 0.5ppm). I'm dealing with this situation with adding large amount of nitrifying bacteria, doing 90% water change and cutting down feeding for the last a few days. It was such a surprise to see my pair actually went on laying eggs with ammonia present...
    I guess a little chemical in water wouldn't stopped them from mating?

Anyways, now I have a few questions in mind... They just spawned last night and it was about 14 hours ago. Right now most eggs look transparent with a little brownish tint. A few eggs actually look white. Will they hatch while I'm dealing with mini cycle issue? What do I do with the fry if they hatch? I can buy a 30G breeder tank now but it's not cycled... There are other discus fish in the tank now and I'm afraid they will eat the fry.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: My Discus Have Spawned!! Now what?

Chances are they won't be viable unless you prepared the water correctly. If they do hatch then will probably be eaten by the community.

If you want to go this direction, I suggest you pick up the extra tank, an RO unit and spend a lot of time in the breeding section