AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Practical modifications/upgrades to FX5 and FX6 filters?

Default Practical modifications/upgrades to FX5 and FX6 filters?

I've been seeing a few videos release in the last two years or so about maximizing throughput and fines filtration in FX6 videos. I've been running a single FX5 or FX6 on my 240 since i got it and even though i am a customizer/tinkerer i never changed the outside config of filter much at all. Currently i am using factory outside ring filters, 2 big bags of purigen in top center, 3/4 full bags of matrix biomedia in bottom two centers, and factory center filters offset with 3/4" gap to allow for free flow.

I've seen to put course filter on outside of the outside rim, medium grade filter on the inside edge of outside rim, and pack the centers to the brim with biomedia, placing fine filter floss on only the top layer. Is there a consesns that this is the best way to run?

I have had and have seen others have issues with bogging down/microbubbles when the fine filter floss gets too jammed up, and i do not want to be taking this beast apart every week, more like once a month or so.

My goals are as clear and as bioactive as possible, while still being able to go 2 weeks minimum, preferably a full month between mandatory cleanings. I will now be running 2 separate parrallel filters one FX5 and one FX6, just trying to max them both out.

Thanks for any experience/ recommendations.
    I am what i am not, and i most certainly am not what i am

We are the only beings for which being is an issue

Real Name
    Mervin

Default Re: Practical modifications/upgrades to FX5 and FX6 filters?

I use two 30 psi sponges at the top and two 10's under them, basically top filled with sponges. The other three with matrix and ceramic media and flat kitchen scrubbies from the dollar store on top of each media basket. Floss will sludge up more so than sponges. Mine is on a six foot tank and does a great job. I use the sponges designed for the filter.

Seems like a lot going on there and I cannot get an easy mental image. Can you take photos?

Real Name
    Brendan

Are you using prefilters on your inlets? It makes a huge difference in the times between cleaning the filters. I run 2/FX6 ‘a and after a month they’re still very clean.

What are you using for intake prefilter? I was thinking of wrapping it with something.
    I am what i am not, and i most certainly am not what i am

We are the only beings for which being is an issue

Real Name
    Brendan

I use pool filter socks. Picked them up from Aldi for cheap. It’s amazing how dirty they get even with regular WC’s. I’m sure there would be something available on eBay or the like.

Real Name
    Frank

If you fx has a "cage-type" intake like my FX4, I just cut a piece of foam and inserted it. Works well.