ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Introducing discus to a community tank

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Filipe

Default Introducing discus to a community tank

Hi everyone,

I am planning to add my group of 7 adult discus to my community tank in the near future and I was wondering what the best approach is. Do I introduce the entire group at the same time or do I slowly add them one by one?

Default Re: Introducing discus to a community tank

IMO... all at once.
    -Elliot

All at once
    -Elliot

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Filipe

Ok thanks

Sorry, I didn't know what else to say.

What size tank? What other fish?
    -Elliot

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Filipe

Sorry I should have been more clear. I'm going to add 7 adult discus to a 90 gallon tank lightly planted with a thin layer of sand substrate. The tank mates are 3 Angel's, 20 Cardinals, 4 Rams and a Brisle nosed pleco.

Nice! I think you're fine. Angel's can sometimes make them nervous. I've grown out Angel's in the past for my wife but moved them once adults. I've also had a dominant discus in the past who kept Angel's in check. It's all personalities of the fish. Angel's can help a group of discus get comfortable or make them skittish. Give it a month or two.
    -Elliot

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Filipe

I've decided to add only one discus to my tank for a few weeks before I add the rest just in case there is a disease or any other unforeseen problems arise. The discus are finishing a salt treatment. I will be moving one over in a week or so.

Real Name
    TONY

I've decided to add only one discus to my tank for a few weeks before I add the rest just in case there is a disease or any other unforeseen problems arise. The discus are finishing a salt treatment. I will be moving one over in a week or so.
    Not sure I'd separate a single discus from the family of 7 & place him in a foreign setting. Discus find strength & comfort in numbers. They are a shoaling clan. He might survive but he'll definitely be happier w/ the group. I transferred 5 together to my 125g w/ no issues. "T"
    125g Tenecor - Cardinal, Serpae, Bloodfin, Redeye, Phantom & Pristella Tetra - Ghost Shrimp - Raphael Cats - Stendker Discus
    Rena XP4, Eheim 2075, 2 A/C500, 2(250w) Ebo-Jagers / Jehmco Controller, 29g AGA-sick
    "Knowledge Gained & Not Shared Is Knowledge Lost"

Real Name
    Mervin

That's a hard call. I see your discus all look nice. If you had a least favorite or smaller one, I would do that one for a few weeks to see if anything goes wrong. However, the discus you use to do the test on may not be greeted as well when put together again. If you take this appouch it should be one already lowest in rank. I see your concern.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Filipe

I considered those potential problems and in the end I decided to use the smallest discus. I'd rather deal with one discus getting sick rather tank the entire group an although this discus may feel lonely for the next couple of weeks it's certainly not stressed. It's full of colour, eating, and actively exploring the tank. I'm hoping that when the others are added that they will not pick on her. While she was with the others none of the fish demonstrated any aggression towards one another so I'm hoping that when the others are added they continue to all get along.