AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: New Discus Not Eating/Tiny white dots.

Registered Member

Default New Discus Not Eating/Tiny white dots.

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?
    I got two new discus fish. One male and one female. They are adults. They are not eating yet.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).
    It has been 3 days and they have not eaten yet. I did a 50% water change last night and this morning I noticed they were covered in tiny white dots. The dots are uniformly distributed through the entire body. Both of the fish seems to have it. The dots are smaller than ick.

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.
    Have not medicated anything yet.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.
    90 gallon tank. 4 Adult angelfish (No pairs). 10 siamese alage eaters, 8 cory cats (2 inches), 5 snails and 1 pleco.

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).
    2 50% water changes weekly.

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?
    Running for exactly a year at this point. Planted tank, dirted capped with sand. The substrate in total is about 4 inches.

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.
    I don't age my water.

8. What type/brand water conditioner do you use? Do you add it to the tank or aging barrel? How much do you use?
    I use seachem safe as my water conditioner. I measure out a scoop that can treat 90 gallons and add it to a jar. I add some water to the jar to dissolve the powder and add it to my tank as I am doing the water change.

9. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp 84
    - ph 6.8
    - ammonia reading 0

- nitrite reading 0

- nitrate reading 5-10ppm (depending on before or after water change)

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water 100%

- RO water ____

10. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.
    None

11. Please tell us what you feed your fish and how often. This can be critical information for solving the problem so be as specific as you can.
    I feed my angels Hikari Vibra Bites and Sera Vipan flakes one a day. I drop some sinking algae wafers for my cory cats once every 2 days.

12. Include any pictures or videos you have which show the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.
    I don't have a picture just yet.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Default Re: New Discus Not Eating/Tiny white dots.

I see that you only do two water changes a week. Do the spots look like pimples? if so, that's a water quality issue and you can fix it by increasing your water changes. You have two discus with a bunch of tank mates, they may take a little longer than normal to feel comfortable to come out and eat.

Post a picture as soon as you can.

Registered Member

Default Re: New Discus Not Eating/Tiny white dots.

Hello, thank you so much for your reply.
    I tried to attach the photo of the discus. I think you can see the spots. They both have it. Someone suggested that I should heat treat the fish at 96 degrees for a week to deworm them? Would that be something you might suggest. I could bump my water changes to 3x 60% a week. Would that be better? Is the way I am treating my water fine? Once again thank you for your reply. My last post might have come off insincere, but I assure you that I am grateful for any help I can get. I just want my fish to do well.
    cf333d8c-bb11-492a-bab9-f2a2b937a04f.jpg