ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Canister filter for 200lt tank

Registered Member

Default Canister filter for 200lt tank

Hi all,

I am setting up a 200 lt tank to home 5/6 discus and some corys. I have been looking online to try to decide what canister to buy. Due to my budget options are

Eheim 2217 - Pros good reviews- durability- media capacity
    Cons- cleaning, real flow rate only 500/600 lts. I personally don’t like the green pipes and hoses. My tank is black background as well as stand.

Fluval 306/406. Pros. Bigger flow rate,easy mantaince. Black hoses/pipes will look better in my tank.
    Cons: small amount of media, leakage issues.

I have summarised pros and cons so far.
    Thanks for you help.

Default Re: Canister filter for 200lt tank

I personally would go with aquaclear hob over a canister

Jeanne

Registered Member

i use 4 filter sun sun hw 303b for 3 years and they are awesome

Interesting. Why do you prefer a hang on the back? I personally have never used one and have always used sponge filters and canisters.

Real Name
    Filip

I use Sun Sun 303b 2100 l/hour with 4 baskets for years now and si far I'm fairly satisfied with it . It is filled with bio ceramics and floss on the intake is my only mechanical filtration .
    I see filtration as a sum of flow/ volume or capacity / quality of filter materials and I believe it's better to invest your money in expensive and quallity bio materials instead of a canister brand name .

Quote Originally Posted by Justanotherfishkeeper View Post
    Interesting. Why do you prefer a hang on the back? I personally have never used one and have always used sponge filters and canisters.
    I prefer hob over canister because over many years I have used pretty much every filter made, marineland, penguin, tetra, you name them and I have also had a canister what I don’t like about the canister is most of them leak over time and all have a small return line ,the filter I have settled on is aquaclear on the 110 you can run the filter wide open and filter 500gph it has a large gentle return flow, it is convenient to get to, easy to clean, no pricey filter cartridges, last for years with no problems, quiet and their much less expensive than a canister

Jeanne

Real Name
    Brendan

Go with as big as you can afford. I have the FX6 and think they’re a great machine.