ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Re-designing the 240 into Discus purist biotope

Default Re-designing the 240 into Discus purist biotope

Hello again!

I arrived on the forum way back and built some lackluster planted tanks with discus in 2008 or so, and I have been involved with aquariums and ponds since 2006.

I seem to have kept every type of aquatic critter now, have my own business ten years running dealing with all things Koi pond, lake and outside water feature and here I am again, about to take the plunge BACK into high quality discus this time.

Currently I’ve had a 240 glass aquarium that has been through at least 3 evolutions already, but is now built as a low tech planted naturalistic tank for tiger barbs with a few mollies for algae control, and one remaining nearly 10 year old Bushynose for wood.

I’m looking to rebirth the system as a dedicated Discus naturalistic biotope, with a few provisions to accommodate my needs.

I plan to strip the insides of tank, retaining the dragon stone and wood, to be cut up a bit more and presented as top down roots. I am thinking .5-1” of pool sand bottom that will be gravel vacuumed with a weekly water change of 30-40%. I will retain 6-7 bunches of the mature Anubias to secure directly to wood above substrate so as to eliminate as many pockets at bottom as possible.

In photos I’ve already been tinkering a bit and I’m going to really rip into it next weekend. I’ve removed background and will be managing wires but I really like the no background look.

Currently is filtered with only one FX6, but I just updated it with the “pimp my FX6” dual outside filters, full matrix centers and top center filled with poly fill as well as an intake prefilter.

I also added a two little fishies media reactor running 1 liter of Purigen, which then feeds an advantage 2000+ UV filter job return, all split from FX6 return. Lastly running a jeboa wavemaker that I’ll have to turn down for aeration.

I will be doubling up with an additional FX5 filter as soon as some plumbing arrives.

Plan is to have the system running and humming with wood, 100lbs of dragon stone, 3/4” PFS, a few Anubias, an old bushy nose, 2 FX5/6’s, fluidized Purigen and a UV when an order nearing 20 hopefully 3-4” discus come in from next months shipment to Kenny. I’m pretty set on having a single- strain Discus tank and I’m hoping to get a big lot of red discus, either Red Melon, Fuji Red, or even Penang eruptions.

I’m pretty set on keeping the tank at 85F and using local municipal water (8.0pH, 3-400ppm hardness) because the heavy RO burden of wc weekly would break me down over time. Kenny tells me that Forest ships and he imports and holds very close to these parameters for tank raised anyways.

I’m happy to hear anything I may have missed, or any tips/tricks/experience that will reap big rewards down the line.

I’ll be updating after the full swap is done.
    Last edited by Xirxes; 12-30-2019 at 01:45 AM.

Registered Member

Default Re: Re-designing the 240 into Discus purist biotope

Just did the same thing with my tank, but did away with all plants completely for a while at least, the only little tip I can suggest is don't put your bushynose back in if you want your sand to look clean all the time, their constant rasping on driftwood and resultant mess becomes unsightly almost instantly !
    You never would have noticed with that dark gravel but they are messy fish.
    Cleaning up after one of them might not be so bad but I wouldn't get any more, a couple of flying foxes will keep the wood clean with hardly any mess instead.
    Some cory's for the sand too will help keep it clean as they are always sifting through it.
    Look forward to some more pics when it's done.

I know that the bushynose have large string poo, i do see it piled up, and the black substrate i have is great at hiding it. I will consider not putting him back in. As to corydoras, are Sterbai still the go to for 85F temps? I will consider them long term, but i really want to give discus the fullest consideration of parameters, not adjusting to any other fish. The other question i dont see adressed often is about snails. I have about 30 green an striped brown nerites in the system that i believe are doing good work and would like to keep if feasible.

Real Name
    Pat

Looks nice! I have a similar setup (though not a biotope as the anubias is from Africa, Manzanita from North America, Java fern from SE Asia, etc)

I'm keeping the temp @ 83-84 with Sterbais and a Bristle nose with no issues. Best of luck, can't wait to see it with discus in it!

Here is my setup:

IMG_20191220_fulltank.jpg

IMG_20191221_SterbaiCory.jpg

Well after a much longer (8 hours) and much wetter (2 small floods) day than I had hoped for, the tank has been revamped for discus.

1fx5, 1 FX6, fluidized Purigen, uv and power head all working.

100% of substrate and fish out (except my ancient bushy nose), 120# of pool sand in I rinsed the crap out of it but between that and new matrix media it’s very cloudy.

Saved a few Anubias to attach to wood.

The wood and stone settled in a way I’m not too happy with, will re-scape over next few days to get it a bit more balanced and top-down root/branch looking.

The amount of waste that was hidden away under rocks and in anubias roots near substrate was insane. Making me think I may go without rocks altogether.

Heating up water now and looking forward to really dialing it in before discus arrive end of Jan.

https://flic.kr/p/2i7JRQH

https://flic.kr/p/2i7JRS6

https://flic.kr/p/2i7GmTa

Edit**Couldn’t let it sit like it was

https://flic.kr/p/2i7H1uY
    Last edited by Xirxes; 12-31-2019 at 02:26 AM.

After a bit of settling and 30% WC.

https://flic.kr/p/2i86Vje

Real Name
    Tom

Nice can't wait to se it stocked ..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhFp68wjRUU
    ^^ My fish room tour by Richsfishes ^^
    Got rams ?

Quote Originally Posted by Xirxes View Post
    After a bit of settling and 30% WC.

https://flic.kr/p/2i86Vje
    That is the most beautiful Discus tank set up I have ever seen. I wish I could comment on your filtration but it's over my head. I use sponges or Matten filters. What are your stocking plans?

If the tank were mine I'd have both Bristlenose and Sterbai in it. You could have a large school of Sterbai in a 240. And I think that no Discus tank is complete without some BN. They poop, big deal. Isn't why we run the Python over the substrate? As for snails, I have some beatufiul Magenta Mystery snails that would be great in a tank like that. But then...This tank is not mine. I will look forward to what you do with it.
    Mama Bear

I kept the ancient Bushynose, i will be stocking with a big group of discus from Kenny’s next shipment in Jan.

A bit of a pickle here in the house because I’m pretty smitten with high color reds like Fuji red or even 3R, but my wife only really likes Super Red Tiger Turquoise, but of the spotted-red/blue I’m only fond of Penang or super eruptions.

We shall see what is available in the next import.

Teaser: 2 week countdown a few of the group incoming! Big thanks Forrest and Kenny!

https://flic.kr/p/2ibbHbV

Tank is clearing and I have sorted how to get a supply of temperature controlled fill water back in after weekly water changes!
    Last edited by Xirxes; 01-06-2020 at 09:15 PM.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

First, it is a gorgeous tank but have a question. What type of rock is that? and is it inert. It almost looks like limestone.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Steve

I'm assuming an artificial background, but those look like river rocks to me. One of my go-tos here. I think some kind of smoothed granite or similar. Never caused a problem in my tanks.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Steve, zoom in on the photo. Flickr will let you do that. This rock looks like holey rock to me.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

This rock is a Japanese Dragon stone. You can see it prominently in many ADA planted aquaria, which are often RO and soft water as well where it originally gained fame in aquarium culture, but it is actually inert, not hard but brittle more like a sandstone. If dropped it crumbles!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast