ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Black spot disease / Diplostomiasis/ Neascus trematode

Default Re: Black spot disease / Diplostomiasis/ Neascus trematode

Thanks Pat.

Paul, it's lovely to see you again. Happy New Year back at you.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Filip

Quote Originally Posted by pcsb23 View Post
    Hello lovely, poacher turned gamekeeper eh Happy New Year!

Pat messaged me so here I am …

Hi Filip, have you taken a sample from the fish? Before hitting it with any chemo I'd be tempted to try and nail down what it is your dealing with. If it is a parasite causing these spots then it would be visible under a scope - assuming each spot is a single instance. Have you removed a scale or tow over a spot at all? It generally doesn't do any long term harm. I would look at the scales removed to see if they are discoloured. Also has the fishes behaviour changed? any flicking/flashing type behaviour? (this would be expected with a parasite). I'd also expect the spots to be slightly raised if is blackspot as the spot is a cyst.

If it is blackspot there must be a host or intermediate in the tank - usually snails. So if you remove the host/intermediate, the blackspot will die out. Looking at the vid I can see it has plants and what looks to be at least one snail.

I would expect praziquantel to work well if it is blackspot. You could also isolate the fish in a qt tank for a few weeks and see if that changes anything. Note that the discolouration is melanin I think so may not go away or go away slowly. It is also possible that what you are seeing now are the after effects and there is no active disease - if the other fish are free of these spots and no further spots are developing then it suggest there are no active parasites.

Hope that helps.
    Hi Paul . It's nice to hear from you here on the forum again. I hope you are doing well .
    Unfortunately I still dont use a microscope to detect pathogens on my discus . It's something that I plan as my next purchase but so far I can only rely on the symptoms.
    As for pulling a fish scales the I've never done it before , but I can try to do that .

There isnt any pronounced flashing and flicking behaviour and the spots look more like peppering under the skin rather than sticking out .
    Other thing I notice is that there are visible pale colour dots /patches on the skin along with the black spots .They can be seen more clearly on the face of the discus in this second video In this post.

Snails , Helena assassin snails, got tons of them .There used to be MTS and Ramshorn snails and now there are only Assassin's left .It might be that I got this pathogen along with the Assassin's that I bought in March , this past year. It would be hard to get rid from all of them without sterilizing the tank and equipment and ditching all the plants though .I would like to postpone this as my last resort .

I will try a week or two of QT isolation after a PP dip and if that won't work I will try treating the main tank with Prazi and Levamisole to see if that helps .
    Two other SS have spots here and there too , but they are definitely not progressing , or progress so slowly that I can't even notice .

Thanks again for your support Paul and kudos for my friends Pat and Liz that made an effort to reach out for you .

BD black spots and whitish pale looking discolouration patches on the face :

http://youtu.be/BN1-nOJ19hM

SS with a couple of black spots on the head :

http://youtu.be/6DrCH_pOZlQ
    Last edited by Filip; 01-02-2020 at 07:52 PM.

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Amanda

Hi Filip - I know that this is a very old thread, but I'd like to know what treatment ended up working? I have a SS who is going through something practically identical to yours. Thank you

My thread below:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...69#post1338469
    Last edited by Acerrato; 05-07-2020 at 07:35 PM. Reason: add

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12