AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Water changes

Real Name
    Brendan

Default Re: Water changes

[QUOTE=JustJustin;1330893]
    Quote Originally Posted by Sturiosoma View Post

Hi thanks for the response, I haven't had any issues with any of the fish, like I said parameters are perfect or near, when it gets to near perfect it's about a week and I'll change about 20-30%. I was just curious since everyone seems to be doing 50 percent everyday or other day, and mine seem to be flourishing on my current system. I do plan on getting another 3-4 discus in the next 2 or 3 weeks, so I understand more waste will come but currently I'm just mentally stumped on the frequent changes when water is at great quality. This is more just a mental thing that I'm trying to understand.

Hi mate and welcome! I wouldn’t get too fixated on percentages and frequencies. Every tank is different and everyone does things slightly differently. One thing the experienced keepers tend to agree on is large frequent water changes. The amounts will depend on the age and size of the fish, the number of fish, tank volume and filtration. You also mention you are getting new discus in a few weeks, please make sure you do a proper quarantine to avoid getting sick fish.

Back to water changes though, I do 50% daily and sometimes skip a day if I am busy. I’ve got 10 discus 5-7inches in a 650L tank with only a few dozen cherry shrimp.
    Hope that helps

Edit:

Just keep in mind that it’s not just nitrates you are removing with water changes. It’s things we cant readily measure like bad bacteria, and depleted minerals from the water that are being replenished.
    Last edited by BrendanJ23; 01-02-2020 at 05:51 PM.

Real Name
    Willie

4.5" discus won't get much bigger than 5" with 20% weekly water changes. A fully grown discus should be at least 6".

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Real Name
    Mervin

Your discus may seem to be florishing because you've only had them for a few weeks. That won't last long if you don't change larger amounts of water. You mentioned evaperation and doing a 25% instead of a 20%. Your still only doing a 20% WC because just water molecules are vaping off and leaving all the dissolved solids behind, which makes the water more concentrated. Doing frequent large WC's and will make your water more stable and you won't have issues like old tank syndrome; a build up of DOS or TDS and sometimes a PH crash if you have a low KH. When nitrates start getting high that is only an indicater that there's other stuff getting concentrated and a WC is needed. Folks aim for 5-10 nitrates to keep all else in check.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Ed

Just my experience...i have 8 6-7 inch beautiful,healthy Discus in a 90 gal. tank.Three years in and a learning experience.I have lost a total of 5 discus in the first year and a half and none since beginning daily or every other day water changes.Simply put clean,fresh water equals healthy discus.I am not sure what you mean about to many water changes but i don't think that is possible...i wish you the best of luck...

As long as your water is stable (aged with an airstone and heater) you can change as much water as you want. It's the pH swing that most folks get using straight tap that is bad for the fish.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Filip

Try to buy all the rest of your planned discus together and from the same source you got the first 2 .Mixing sources or re adding new discus is a very dangerous and unsafe thing to do .

As for waterchanges - if you use aged water with dehlorinator the simple rule of a thumb would be the more the better , and it has very little to do with your No3 readings .

Registered Member

I'm a beginner discus keeper like yourself but I am several months into the hobby now, it's been a steep learning curve. Here's what I've learnt pretty quickly.

1. I started with 6 fish of around 4". I now have 8 fish. They compete for food much more aggressively and there is less bullying with 8 fish. I would keep more than 5 in a 90 gallon tank personally.

2. I have to do large WC every day (bare bottom tank). I could probably get away with every other day but the fish are obviously much healthier & happy with daily clean water. I do 95% change. My tank is cycled & if I don't WC then nitrate builds quickly & the fish visibly suffer. I think that if you feed very lightly you could get away with infrequent water changes but your fish will not grow into big adults.

3. When they are healthy they eat a lot and frequently. I feed mine at least 4 times per day which also contributes to the need to perform large WC, especially if you want to feed pork/beef heart which is very messy.

4. I would say the most important factor in enjoying the fish is to plan the WC strategy & make it as fast & hassle free as possible. I'm now able to change 60 gallons in 30 mins including siphoning & wiping the inside of the tank down. If you're fumbling around with buckets & spilling water spending 2 hours on daily WC you are going to quickly get fed up.
    Last edited by Hardgraf; 01-20-2020 at 08:58 AM.

Real Name
    Shan

People change more water because they feed more food. More food = bigger and healthier growth. Water changes are for more than just nitrates. There are other forms of bacteria than can grow in the water that you don't have a test kit for.

If you are feeding little, you will possibly not let your discus reach their max potential. If you decide to feed more, you will get bigger reward, but also more poop and dirtier water

Real Name
    Willie

Quote Originally Posted by Hardgraf View Post
    I'm a beginner discus keeper...I would say the most important factor in enjoying the fish is to plan the WC strategy & make it as fast & hassle free as possible. I'm now able to change 60 gallons in 30 mins including siphoning & wiping the inside of the tank down. If you're fumbling around with buckets & spilling water spending 2 hours on daily WC you are going to quickly get fed up.
    That's the real secret to discus keeping! Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member

Many years ago when I began keeping discus, I purchased four, all around 4-inches. I only performed maybe 50% water changes every week because I did not buy into the daily water change hype. Long story short, they did not reach their size potential.

Years later, I purchased a group of eight 3-inch discus and forced myself to perform 80% water changes daily (or at least 6X a week). It did not take long at all for them to reach 5+ inches! Needless to say, this was all I needed to see to convince myself to keep up the habit.

I guess what I'm trying to say is... If you want to end up with big round discus, approaching 6-7 inches, then you'll need to do lots of water changes. If you're happy with discus that may not reach that size, then you don't have to change water so often.

Best of luck to you!

Quote Originally Posted by L200GreenPhantom View Post
    Many years ago when I began keeping discus, I purchased four, all around 4-inches. I only performed maybe 50% water changes every week because I did not buy into the daily water change hype. Long story short, they did not reach their size potential.

Years later, I purchased a group of eight 3-inch discus and forced myself to perform 80% water changes daily (or at least 6X a week). It did not take long at all for them to reach 5+ inches! Needless to say, this was all I needed to see to convince myself to keep up the habit.

I guess what I'm trying to say is... If you want to end up with big round discus, approaching 6-7 inches, then you'll need to do lots of water changes. If you're happy with discus that may not reach that size, then you don't have to change water so often.

Best of luck to you!
    Good post.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

All agree that water change is necessary. The variation is how much and how often with regard to changes. As said it is different for each of us. I can grow 7 inch fish at the ratio of 1 fish per 5 gallons bare tank with daily tap water with Prime added per change amounting to 100% per week. This has always worked for me. Others would find that a challenge.

This quote is another point of view with regard to a 60 gallon application.

"...I say even 8 wouldn't be a problem.
    Stendker even says 10 in a 50 gallon to raise them."

Best regards

Hans
    Discus Hans USA

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Peewee show us a pic of the 7" discus you grew out. I'd be interested to see them for sure. You just don't see true 7" discus every day.
    I would suggest Hans is saying 10 x 2.5" fish to grow out in a 50gal. The 1 fish per 10gal is a recommendation for keeping adult discus, not growing out fry.
    It is an each to his own practice for sure, and many folks really don't care if their discus hit 6-7" anyway. For me, it's about discus health. If they're unhealthy or stressed I am too, lol

Registered Member

Could be, Dano.. He did not say and it did say "grow out" in his note. Partial information.

Real Name
    Brendan

Quote Originally Posted by Hardgraf View Post
    I'm a beginner discus keeper like yourself but I am several months into the hobby now, it's been a steep learning curve. Here's what I've learnt pretty quickly.

1. I started with 6 fish of around 4". I now have 8 fish. They compete for food much more aggressively and there is less bullying with 8 fish. I would keep more than 5 in a 90 gallon tank personally.

2. I have to do large WC every day (bare bottom tank). I could probably get away with every other day but the fish are obviously much healthier & happy with daily clean water. I do 95% change. My tank is cycled & if I don't WC then nitrate builds quickly & the fish visibly suffer. I think that if you feed very lightly you could get away with infrequent water changes but your fish will not grow into big adults.

3. When they are healthy they eat a lot and frequently. I feed mine at least 4 times per day which also contributes to the need to perform large WC, especially if you want to feed pork/beef heart which is very messy.

4. I would say the most important factor in enjoying the fish is to plan the WC strategy & make it as fast & hassle free as possible. I'm now able to change 60 gallons in 30 mins including siphoning & wiping the inside of the tank down. If you're fumbling around with buckets & spilling water spending 2 hours on daily WC you are going to quickly get fed up.
    #4 Agree 100% . Set yourself up, and set/realize the expectation and work involved. And if you don't see it as work or a hassle, even better! I see it similar to that of owning a dog, you know you have to walk it every day especially if its high energy, don' get the dog if you don't want that commitment.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12