AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Water changes

Registered Member

Default Water changes

Hi, I'm new to discus keeping.
    I have had my 90 gal tank running for 3 weeks now. Ph 6.8, no ammonia, nitrite or nitrate spikes, I had 3 guppies, a beta and2 blue rams, put into the tank before I added 2 of my discus( I understand they are schoolers and will add more I'm just doing 2 at a time a will stop at 5 total discus) they have been in the tank for 4 days now eating and exploring. I also have 5 annubius plants in the tank, minimal lighting. I Also feed 3x a day small portions and all my fish eat no problem and clean up after each feeding.
    Now I was just wondering for water change purposes I do it once a week and I'll do about 20 percent change, before I change I check my parameters which are amazing and after which still are amazing, should I be disrupting the water balance so soon if there is no problems?
    Thanks in advance
    Last edited by JustJustin; 01-02-2020 at 07:08 AM.

Default Re: Water changes

How big are your discus? When keeping discus, one should focus on the discus. All else comes second. Most folks advocate at least 50% exchange per day! It's not typical parameters that hinder discus health. Pump lots of good water through them and they will shine.
    My tank - http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?135251-coopers-6x2x2&highlight=

I'm not so experienced but I have very soft water with ph about 7 and the folks here grow better fish with less optimal parameters.
    My tank - http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?135251-coopers-6x2x2&highlight=

Oops, posted the last one on the wrong thread. Derp!

Registered Member

About 4-4.5 inch thanks

I change 1/3 of my water once a week whether it needs it or not, and I check my parameters 3 days later, if my parameters are out of line I do another 1/3 water changJeanne

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by cooper666 View Post
    How big are your discus? When keeping discus, one should focus on the discus. All else comes second. Most folks advocate at least 50% exchange per day! It's not typical parameters that hinder discus health. Pump lots of good water through them and they will shine.
    4-4.5 inch, I understand the discus come first, the other fish were used to help cycle and test the waters for the discus. I have also read too much and too many water changes can disrupt the ecosystem and end up killing your fish( this has happened to me in the past) which is why I want to provide optimal water conditions, which is why I still am having some trouble understanding if water conditions are still perfect or near perfect why disrupt it all? Or at least what benefit is there to the disruption. Thanks

Registered Member

Tha nks for the input, I agree some do well with non ideal parameters lol oh well

4-5 inch fish are great to start with. You kind of know what you are buying However they still have plenty of growing to do. If you want them to grow they need seemingly ridiculous amounts of feed and lots and lots and lots of fresh water. That's what makes them challenging. With your plan, I suspect they will live and grow but fail to teach their potential.

Discus = extreme water changes, sorry

Real Name
    Mervin

If you had issues in the past with changing large volumes of water; did you age and aerate it first? That makes a big difference with greater volumes of water being changed. I don' quite understand what you mean by distubing the balance. If you keep your water changed and get into a "frequent" routine there should not be issues with the water. If you do not do frequent WC's and then do a big WC, then I can see some issues in the chemistry of the water has changed a great deal during that time. Don't treat discus like you have been doing with other species; it would work.

Real Name
    Mervin

PS.. A 20% WC is nothing...really!!! May as well not waste your time changing that much water, it'll do nothing. It does not provide enough fresh water to make much difference from the dirty water.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by JustJustin View Post
    Hi, I'm new to discus keeping.
    I have had my 90 gal tank running for 3 weeks now. Ph 6.8, no ammonia, nitrite or nitrate spikes, I had 3 guppies, a beta and2 blue rams, put into the tank before I added 2 of my discus( I understand they are schoolers and will add more I'm just doing 2 at a time a will stop at 5 total discus) they have been in the tank for 4 days now eating and exploring. I also have 5 annubius plants in the tank, minimal lighting. I Also feed 3x a day small portions and all my fish eat no problem and clean up after each feeding.
    Now I was just wondering for water change purposes I do it once a week and I'll do about 20 percent change, before I change I check my parameters which are amazing and after which still are amazing, should I be disrupting the water balance so soon if there is no problems?
    Thanks in advance
    Welcome, Justin. Everyone will agree that that water changes for all aquariums are necessary. None can seem to agree on the percentages of those changes. I seem to be at the extreme opposite of most. One almost fully grown Discus per 5 gallons with daily water change that amounts to 100% per seven days. I use tap water with Prime added, heavy aeration and filtration. Yes, Discus seem to be schooling fish so the larger the tank the more you would stock it with.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by peewee1 View Post
    Welcome, Justin. Everyone will agree that that water changes for all aquariums are necessary. None can seem to agree on the percentages of those changes. I seem to be at the extreme opposite of most. One almost fully grown Discus per 5 gallons with daily water change that amounts to 100% per seven days. I use tap water with Prime added, heavy aeration and filtration. Yes, Discus seem to be schooling fish so the larger the tank the more you would stock it with.
    Hi and thanks for the response, I'm not trying to get out of doing changes as I understand its needed regardless, just trying to get help on my frequency is all, considering, I feed small amounts clean up after each feeding etc, so my waste is at minimal amount, as well as having a severely under stock tank.
    However, I did further research, and something I never came across was minerals in the water(duh!) so I understand doing a bigger water changes, also i change 20 percent of water plus evaporation, so i technically add about 25 to 30 percent. I was just wondering, because parameters are still at what the discus require, was just wondering why there was a need to do such a large change, however I'll increase how much I take out and put back in.
    Also the tank does have aeration.

[QUOTE=peewee1;1330889]Welcome, Justin. Everyone will agree that that water changes for all aquariums are necessary. None can seem to agree on the percentages of those changes. I seem to be at the extreme opposite of most. One almost fully grown Discus per 5 gallons with daily water change that amounts to 100% per seven days. I use tap water with Prime added, heavy aeration and filtration. Yes, Discus seem to be schooling fish so the larger the tank the more you would stock it with.[/QUOTE

With the amount of water you are changing everyday have you had problems yet with your discus, and what is it that determines your present regimen

Jeanne

Registered Member

[QUOTE=Sturiosoma;1330891]
    Quote Originally Posted by peewee1 View Post
    Welcome, Justin. Everyone will agree that that water changes for all aquariums are necessary. None can seem to agree on the percentages of those changes. I seem to be at the extreme opposite of most. One almost fully grown Discus per 5 gallons with daily water change that amounts to 100% per seven days. I use tap water with Prime added, heavy aeration and filtration. Yes, Discus seem to be schooling fish so the larger the tank the more you would stock it with.[/QUOTE

With the amount of water you are changing everyday have you had problems yet with your discus, and what is it that determines your present regimen

Jeanne
    Hi thanks for the response, I haven't had any issues with any of the fish, like I said parameters are perfect or near, when it gets to near perfect it's about a week and I'll change about 20-30%. I was just curious since everyone seems to be doing 50 percent everyday or other day, and mine seem to be flourishing on my current system. I do plan on getting another 3-4 discus in the next 2 or 3 weeks, so I understand more waste will come but currently I'm just mentally stumped on the frequent changes when water is at great quality. This is more just a mental thing that I'm trying to understand.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast