ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Interesting Pair

Real Name
    Steve

Default Re: Interesting Pair

Next try. These guys are so striking. I wish they'd get wigglers. The SW is the male, I've had him for a couple years, but he is a bit of a football. Wonder if he's fertile?
    I think I've mentioned, the SW's partner, very nice shape, that is the other SW I've had for the same time, has paired up with a red male. Who new it was a female! The SWs didn't hook up after all this time themselves? I never saw any flirting until I added the reds. Now I'm thinking I want to isolate them again.

IMG_6851.jpg
    Last edited by RogueDiscus; 02-01-2020 at 10:02 PM.

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Quote Originally Posted by RogueDiscus View Post
    Next try. These guys are so striking. I wish they'd get wigglers. The SW is the male, I've had him for a couple years, but he is a bit of a football. Wonder if he's fertile?
    I think I've mentioned, the SW's partner, very nice shape, that is the other SW I've had for the same time, has paired up with a red male. Who new it was a female! The SWs didn't hook up after all this time themselves? I never saw any flirting until I added the reds. Now I'm thinking I want to isolate them again.
    The joys of breeding. Always a hard decision to make. I recently took what i thought might be a pair out of my main tank into a breeder, and lucky i stuck by them for so long, as it turns out they are a proven pair now. Good luck with these guys.
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Real Name
    Francis

Reading through Discus Catalogue by Martin Ng

Snow White x Virgin Red =Red White

Red White x Red White =Snow Red & others

The book did not explain much about genetic.
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Real Name
    Steve

Red and White. Maybe a good omen on Super Bowl Sunday?

Real Name
    Steve

So, new developments. I had two of the reds that had paired up with two snow whites. To separate pairs. One produced red eggs, the other pair produced clear white eggs. None ever hatched. Based on egg color, I thought I had a red female with a white male, and a white female with a red male. After several spawns with no hatches, I removed the snow whites and decided to try for a red pairing. Well, they spawned this morning and I can see a nice group of red eggs. This evening I twisted myself around to get a closer look at the eggs on the back of the cone, and mixed in with the red eggs is a while group of clear white eggs I hadn't noticed! The two reds were not identical strains, so now I'm thinking they're both females and have been doing the laying all along, so nothing will come of this I have another red I'm going to have to put back in with them and see what happens.

Registered Member

If one of the parents is white the fry should turn out to be decent looking.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123