AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Finally starting to learn to watch Rams

Default Re: Finally starting to learn to watch Rams

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    No guarantees that it will do for you in your water what it does for me with mine, but I use this. https://www.amazon.com/Davidsons-Tea...9038669&sr=8-8
    Excellent, thanks Liz. No guarantees necessary-

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Liz, I have a small advantage on the ram watching. There are still 10 rams in the 50 gallon which started all this. There is constant flirting among the four pairs plus territorial skirmishes. The tank is simply a beehive of activity but such a fun tank.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

That's true. You also bought rams that were raised by their parents from a guy whose every post shows his passion. Yours come from parent raised stock. That might be the other difference between our closeness to success. (Of course DiscusLuv has made it farther than either of us!) Mine came from a guy who has excellent taste in fish, but doesn't radiate the same passion as Tom. He's a good breeder,I think that my guy depends on fish to make part of his living. Besides, Tom is here and loves helping us succeed.

I know that this is not in anyway a competition. Who ever succeeds in raising these little guys first will be ready rooting for the others, and all of the ones still trying will be happy for the one who succeeds first. I still think that it's fun that there are 4 enough trying for the same thing and that thing is not even Discus. How weird is that?
    Mama Bear

Tom, My LFS is getting a 5 gallon and a 2 1/2 gallon in. They need them for stock any way. I'm interested in both but may just get one of them. I probably will. I forgot to tell them to order a couple of dip and pours for me. That is not something that they would keep in stock. If I am going to try artificially raising is their anything else I should get while I'm there next week?
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Tom

I use the disposable airstones and MB and that is it ..
    Terracotta trays ..3 inches .I like mopani wood at fish stores and java wood at bird places ..The java wood is a South American coffee tree.

Funny on it is not a competition and everyone helps ..That is the fun..I want to see others have fry .One buddy of mine said he would just like to see fry one more time like years ago ..That was two years ago and he gets fry regularly raises some and struggles some and we laugh ..I feel like I brought him pleasure and that does make me happy ..Its the real share that cost nothing ..
    On another forum [I tell Liz it is the kids forum] we have the 'discus gang' 4 ,5,6 people who all got like 3 inch disc in the beginning of the summer .
    We all said it was not a competition.. I have no control ! I want to breed first ,faster ,more or better ...Usually in that order even ...
    Crushing the competition can be fun too? Maybe that is the craftsman or passion just out of control but fun none the less..
    I think parent raised fry may breed and raise better but that would be a real hard experiment to have any finding beyond anecdotal ..Just to many variables in the fish alone ?Over all I would say they should be better fry .
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhFp68wjRUU
    ^^ My fish room tour by Richsfishes ^^
    Got rams ?

As I get more knowledgeable through experience ill try the parent raised method again. I am sure it results in much stronger, healthier fry. But, the darks are too expensive for me to take a chance of "maybe he will kill her, maybe he wont".
    I actually took the male out of the tank on the second day (morning) went into the 10 gallon.
    Who knows-- the real test it seems is getting the fry past the first 2 weeks.

With Discus it's the first 3 weeks after attachment.
    Mama Bear

It looks like my pair ate this batch, too. Next time around, I'll be a bandit. Once I succeed at that the pair can go back into their 10 gallon and try for as long as it takes.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    That's true. You also bought rams that were raised by their parents from a guy whose every post shows his passion. Yours come from parent raised stock. That might be the other difference between our closeness to success. (Of course DiscusLuv has made it farther than either of us!) Mine came from a guy who has excellent taste in fish, but doesn't radiate the same passion as Tom. He's a good breeder,I think that my guy depends on fish to make part of his living. Besides, Tom is here and loves helping us succeed.

I know that this is not in anyway a competition. Who ever succeeds in raising these little guys first will be ready rooting for the others, and all of the ones still trying will be happy for the one who succeeds first. I still think that it's fun that there are 4 enough trying for the same thing and that thing is not even Discus. How weird is that?
    Liz, I am not sure in my rams were parent raised or not. I will need to ask Mike T.
    Pat

Oh, I thought you got yours from Tom.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Steve

And I don't think Tom parent raises?

I guess I'm mistaken about a lot of things.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Pat

If I recall correctly Tom pulls the first spawn of a new pair and lets them try on the second spawn.
    Pat

That's what I thought, too. That's why he's the bandit.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Steve

Sorry I stand corrected.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast