AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Alternatives to RO water

Default Alternatives to RO water

Hi,
    I’m moving soon and will no longer have a place to put my storage tanks filled with RO water for water changes. Someone once told me they use some type of filter which purifies the water which they attach to the water spigot and fill the tank directly from it without storage but I forgot type of filter he said it was. Does anyone know the kind of filter he was talking about or know of a method I can use to purify my water and quickly fill my tanks without storing it?

Thank you,
    Russ

Real Name
    Brendan

Default Re: Alternatives to RO water

In my experience I don't know of a RO filter that is a 'quick fill'. He may have been refering to a carbon and sediment filter, but this will not purify the water like RO does.

Real Name
    Willie

There are ion exchange type filters that will remove certain contaminants from water. Note that these will eventually exhaust themselves and will have to be replaced to retain effectiveness. So it's doable, just more expensive.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

You can get RO filters that output as much output as you require, however above 200 gallons per day (16.6 gallons per hour) will require a booster pump to provide required pressure from standard garden hose source at 60psi.

Add booster pump and add big cost.

Thank you. I think the Ion exchange filter is what he was talking about he said he had to replace the filters every so often. Willie do you know if you use the output water straight or do you have mix it with tap water or add minerals like you do with RO water?

Real Name
    Willie

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Thank you. I think the Ion exchange filter is what he was talking about he said he had to replace the filters every so often. Willie do you know if you use the output water straight or do you have mix it with tap water or add minerals like you do with RO water?
    I have used 100% R/O water for many years with good results, lots of breeding and raising fry to adults, and never understood the need to add minerals back in. Such minerals do not exist in Amazonian water and I consider them just marketing hype. If you ever taste R/O Right, it's mostly table salt.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    I have used 100% R/O water for many years with good results, lots of breeding and raising fry to adults, and never understood the need to add minerals back in. Such minerals do not exist in Amazonian water and I consider them just marketing hype. If you ever taste R/O Right, it's mostly table salt.

Willie
    Finally someone who agrees with me! My tap has 0 measurable gH. Back when I used RO for breeding everyone said that I must do that, but I grew a great many fry to adulthood without using it. Never had the deformities people kept saying I would. I used straight reconstituted RO with no problem. Thanks, Willie.
    Mama Bear

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Finally someone who agrees with me! My tap has 0 measurable gH. Back when I used RO for breeding everyone said that I must do that, but I grew a great many fry to adulthood without using it. Never had the deformities people kept saying I would. I used straight reconstituted RO with no problem. Thanks, Willie.
    If it had 0 measurable GH, how did the PH remain stable? I had to bring my GH back up to avoid PH decline.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Mando View Post
    If it had 0 measurable GH, how did the PH remain stable? I had to bring my GH back up to avoid PH decline.
    It is actually your kH which buffers pH.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    It is actually your kH which buffers pH.
    Pat
    True! I got them confused.