ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Abnormal behaviors

Registered Member

Default Abnormal behaviors

Hows it going people? My computer is giving me trouble on the copy&paste function. So, 0 ammonia, 0 Nitrite and 20 ppm Nitrate. It is a heavily planted tank but no new fish added recently. I have added some stem plants in the past month. A lot actually and some spider wood but i went to change my water last night and immediately after getting the syphon started one of my 3 discus started darting all around the tank, bashing its face into the glass multiple multiple times, going to the top flopping and trying to jump out the water (what it looked like at least). Has anyone experienced this before? The only thing i did before starting the water change was move my heater lower so it could stay on. Has anyone experienced this before? It still eats and acts somewhat normal with its stress bars blacker than ive ever seen on one before.

Real Name
    Brendan

Default Re: Abnormal behaviors

I'd be starting with large WC's to reduce nitrates and any other contaminants that might be irritating the fish.

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Since you moved the heater I would also check to make sure your heater isn't putting electrical current in the water.

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by BrendanJ23 View Post
    I'd be starting with large WC's to reduce nitrates and any other contaminants that might be irritating the fish.
    I agree with the water changes. The first course of action in any situation is to suspect water.
    Last edited by jeep; 01-06-2020 at 12:16 PM.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Smalone94 View Post
    discus started darting all around the tank, bashing its face into the glass multiple multiple times, going to the top flopping and trying to jump out the water (what it looked like at least). Has anyone experienced this before?.
    I had this happened to me, 4 of my discus died from this. One by one they started to dart and jump just as you described. I thought it might be my heater leaking electricity and bought one of them probe thingies to eliminated it but it did nothing, replaced heater, fish still darted.

I think my issue was that I was mixing hot and cold water to get to the correct temp. I later discovered that the water from the water heater is yellowish and rusty colored. I stopped using the hot water and started aging my water and heating it in the aging barrel. All is good and the remaining discus survived. I have replaced my water heater but not taking any chances, sticking to the aging/heating in barrel. Hope this will help.

Nobody really knows where Whirling disease comes from or how to cure it. It's a terrible condition. Watching your fish have what appears to have a grand mal seizure it terribly upsetting. Wish I could help, but I can't.
    Mama Bear