AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Couple quick Q’s

Default Couple quick Q’s

Just a few forum based Q’s

1: can you make attached images appear in mobile format? Bit of a bear to go back and forth while photobucket is down

2: have you considered formatting forum for TapATalk app? Very convenient for mobile users

3: semi related: is the SimplyDiscus FB page owned by you? If so it’s a bit of a smash and grab free for all over there may want vetted moderators to keep civility up

Thanks for feedback!
    I am what i am not, and i most certainly am not what i am

We are the only beings for which being is an issue

Default Re: Couple quick Q’s

I like it, especially number 3

Jeanne

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Xirxes View Post
    Just a few forum based Q’s

1: can you make attached images appear in mobile format? Bit of a bear to go back and forth while photobucket is down

2: have you considered formatting forum for TapATalk app? Very convenient for mobile users

3: semi related: is the SimplyDiscus FB page owned by you? If so it’s a bit of a smash and grab free for all over there may want vetted moderators to keep civility up

Thanks for feedback!
    Hi Xirxes, to answer your questions;

1. I can see attached pictures in the mobile version of the forum. You do need to be logged into either version of the forum to see attached pictures. Since photobucket is down you can not see photobucket linked pictures in either version of the forum.

2. At one time we had TapATalk installed on the forum. Al, the owner of simplydiscus removed it for security concerns.

3. Yes, the SD FB group is an outreach of the forum. We try to run the group using the same ruleset we have here on the forum but there are only two admins on the group and no moderators. To run the group properly we would have to monitor 24/7 and there are only two of us. We do our best with the time we have.

Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Brian

In addition to what Pat said about the FB group, FB discus groups are a dime a dozen and they all have their own way of doing things. Pat and I basically let the Simply group manage itself and we welcome everyone from across the world, and from all skill levels, just like this forum. It gets repetitive at times, but while I would not be opposed to adding a mod or two, they would have to remember the most important thing is to help promote this forum.

as to #1 In my mobile iOS when loigged in all i ever see is a paperclip and the words (attachedimages) without a hyperlink. I have to change at the bottom to full web page format, which is pretty cumbersome on iOS, see the pics, then switch back.
    #2 i get, but #3 if it really is an extension of the forum, then i think you may have more active and reachable visitors there at any given moment, but the misunderstanding seems to lead to some fairly quick flaming without proper direction. I agree it would take more moderation than this format, but like many hobbies, that is where people go first and sometimes only. You have many trustworthy members that may be willing to take up the cause of moderating for the sake of both formats.
    I am what i am not, and i most certainly am not what i am

We are the only beings for which being is an issue

Real Name
    Brendan

I was on the Facebook group but left after a week or so. It’s very tiring to even watch, as most people want instant answers and aren’t prepared to do their own proper in depth research. I get that there are emergencies and it’s a great platform for getting faster replies. I take my hat off to the 2 admins that are clearly more patient than I am and helping many people where they can.
    This seems to be the way for a lot of hobbies however most do not have a reliable, active and dedicated forum outside of Facebook. In fact Facebook has killed off some forums I used to frequent and made them obsolete.

Real Name
    Steve

Thanks Brendan. I'm an old guy and have never joined Facebook, but you have described the battle the Simply Discus forum is also fighting. I think active membership and use has declined quite a bit in the last couple years.

Real Name
    Brian

Thanks as well Brendan! Outside the group, I don't use FB either. The main problem with FB groups is most people absolutely refuse to take advantage of the free wealth of information here on this forum in favor of the instant gratification FB offers, although that gratification can be incomplete, confusing and incorrect. That's why I try to use forum links as much as possible. There are a few FB people who have made the transition here and they have taken it seriously... My hats off to them!!! It's hard to believe there are almost 8,000 members there and many have never heard of this forum, lol...

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Xirxes View Post
    as to #1 In my mobile iOS when loigged in all i ever see is a paperclip and the words (attachedimages) without a hyperlink. I have to change at the bottom to full web page format, which is pretty cumbersome on iOS, see the pics, then switch back.
    #2 i get, but #3 if it really is an extension of the forum, then i think you may have more active and reachable visitors there at any given moment, but the misunderstanding seems to lead to some fairly quick flaming without proper direction. I agree it would take more moderation than this format, but like many hobbies, that is where people go first and sometimes only. You have many trustworthy members that may be willing to take up the cause of moderating for the sake of both formats.
    Can you provide a screenshot of what you are seeing Xirxes?
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Johnny

In the age of social media, many people like to feel connected to an actual person. While there are so many helpful resources here, many people like the feeling of having a person reply to them instead of searching themselves. I too find it more easier to post a question than to browse through the search threads here on SD. But I agree with your point- the info found here is more accurate and comprehensive than what's on FB.

Why not just ask your question here? Unless I've been mistaken all these years all of us are real people.
    Mama Bear

This is not particularly for me, but as a consideration for those 8,000 some on FB.

I have seen some groups recover from what is most like a profundity if uninformed, impatient and reactive members.

This was done with courtesy requirements, nearly constant recommendations to the board itself from anyone willing and heavy member removal for infractions if courtesy, for flaming or for repetitive and clear non interest in hobby-proven good husbandry recommendations.

I’ll leave it there though, no vested interest, other than wanting this forum to rise to glory again!

Real Name
    Brendan

I see your point and think it is valid and comes from good place.

I guess my take is that, if you as a keeper (not you in particular, just referring to any keeper) is only willing to go as far as FB for help, and too lazy to do any further research, you and your fish(or any animal) will probably suffer. I am probably a bit harsh or impatient at times, but over my years of keeping other animals, such as turtles, snakes, dragons, frogs, dogs, cats etc - it requires extensive research and dedication to have these animals breed and thrive under artificial conditions.

Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of genuine people looking for help or advice and are willing to be teachable and follow advice, which I am always happy to help. It's those that aren't, seem to always stand out and always have problems which is frustrating. Sorry if this sounds like a rant, it wasn't supposed to be .