ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: How to start over after losing stock

Registered Member

Default How to start over after losing stock

I am looking for advice on starting over after a failed initial try at keeping discus. Long story short I had 14 new 2-3” discus. I’ve lost all but 2 due to internal parasite issues. Of the discus I have left, one is separated out in quarantine and the second that acts pretty normal but has always been thin and hides most of the day. The only other fish in the tank is a 10 yr old pleco who continues to be the picture of good health.

I would like to start over at some point, this time using good quarantine procedures and switching to a bare bottom tank.

So my question is what do I do between now and when I start up again? Do I need to completely break down the tank, clean it and re-cycle it? And if I do that what do I do with my hiding discus and healthy pleco? I’m planning ahead and curious what the next steps will be. Thanks for your help.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Donny

Default Re: How to start over after losing stock

My suggestions are buy adult ones, easier to maintain.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Hi Patrick, I see when most people start over they break down the tank and sterilize everything. Is it safe to say you rather not mix your current two discus/pleco with a new group of juvies/adults? If yes perhaps keeping two tank is the right approach.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

If the tank is empty, there is no need to QT. However, best advice? Start with adult fish and learn with those. They are hardier than juveniles.

#1 - (most important) buy from one of our sponsored suppliers. Or, at least look at reviews if you choose to buy elsewhere.
    #2 - Going bare bottom works great
    #3 - Buy all future stock from the same supplier if you're going to add them to your existing stock
    #4 - try to buy your fish at once so you do not have to QT
    #5 - Report any problems here, ASAP.
    #6 - You have a 125g tank. Do atleast, as a minimium, 25g WC a day.
    #7 - Stock up on pure Metronidazole, Prazi, Salt, and a Dewormer like levamisole so you're prepared.
    #8 - Start with adult fish (repeating this one) it just makes it that much easier.

Lastly, Heat and Age your water for water changes.

I saw that you use 100% RO, Just connect your RO system to your well water and remove the TFC membrane if it has it. Brian recommended I use 5 micron > 1 micron > Carbon setup for the RO system.
    Last edited by Mando; 01-07-2020 at 05:16 PM.

Real Name
    Brian

For me it was getting my head back into it. You've already experienced the bad, prepare for the good by using this forum and the knowledge it contains. Number one is to buy from a reputable source and QT as if they are not.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...tine-Procedure

Registered Member

Thanks for your help everyone, good advice on starting with adults.
    I’d prefer to keep the pleco in the new tank as I’ve had him for 10 years or so. My guess is the 2 discus won’t make it in the end but we’ll wait and see. Do you think it would be safe to have the pleco with new stock? I’m assuming the answer is no on the 2 sickly discus even if they make it.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mando View Post

I saw that you use 100% RO, Just connect your RO system to your well water and remove the TFC membrane if it has it. Brian recommended I use 5 micron > 1 micron > Carbon setup for the RO system.
    Curious about your ro idea Mando. So you take out the membrane and just use the filtration from the sediment and carbon filters? That should be the same water quality as the water that comes out of the waste line. Does that sound right to you? The reason I’ve been using 100% ro is my tap/filtered water comes out at 750-850 ppm with a stabilized ph of around 8.6. I’ve played around with it and I can get down to around 400 ppm and a ph of 8.0-8.2 using a 50/50 ro and filtered water mix.

Real Name
    Brendan

I have to agree with above.

It is was me I would clean out and sterilise the tank and every bit of equipment that goes in or near the tank. I would also go for adults, even though this is more costly, you’ll probably get more enjoyment time out of your fish too. Definitely go bare bottom and follow the experts advice. I hated the idea of bare bottom tanks initially but now I love them and wouldn’t switch back. You can make a beautiful BB tank with a little creativity. Good luck and keep us posted

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick4802 View Post
    Curious about your ro idea Mando. So you take out the membrane and just use the filtration from the sediment and carbon filters? That should be the same water quality as the water that comes out of the waste line. Does that sound right to you? The reason I’ve been using 100% ro is my tap/filtered water comes out at 750-850 ppm with a stabilized ph of around 8.6. I’ve played around with it and I can get down to around 400 ppm and a ph of 8.0-8.2 using a 50/50 ro and filtered water mix.
    Your water mix should work fine. I thought you were on well for some reason.

Registered Member

It’s municipal well, so basically treated well water.

Registered Member

Following up on this. I am down to one 3.5” discus and a fully grown pleco. The pleco hides a lot but otherwise acts normal and healthy. At this point how long do I wait and observe before considering adding more discus?

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick4802 View Post
    Following up on this. I am down to one 3.5” discus and a fully grown pleco. The pleco hides a lot but otherwise acts normal and healthy. At this point how long do I wait and observe before considering adding more discus?
    I would not add to that tank unless you sterilize it. Put that discus in a hospital tank and sterilize your display tank and start over right after putting it together. Do you plan on buying from the same supplier? if so, you can mix the stock but I would be hesitant regardless.