AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 17 of 26 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Shan's First Discus Journey

Real Name
    Tom

Default Re: Shan's First Discus Journey

The Eclipse comes with bit and template .
    I have one that I never got around to installing for a paladarium .
    I like the looks of it and think they are probably one of the best designs I have seen .
    You will be drilling closer to the top with most setups .
    A steady flow at near surface level will be quieter then a sucking hole 4 inches below the surface.
    The box/weir is a waterfall and will make some noise depending on flow .
    For noise from back of box I always had a towel over mine since the 1980's .
    Even with CPR overflows that had acrylic covers ..They were still loud or the loudest thing ..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhFp68wjRUU
    ^^ My fish room tour by Richsfishes ^^
    Got rams ?

Real Name
    Shan

Great idea with using some spare small tanks lying around to dry fit test as well as flow adjust. Good for a first timer like me. Also I'm glad to hear your feedback Tom. I will have to manage with a bit of trial and error but I'm sure I can figure it out as I go.

In other news, built this stand with my friend's help. Decorative paneling will come in the next few weeks I hope.

141013681_3418314414958563_9139885536089405810_n.jpg

Also found a good deal for a fiji cube similar 800gph overflow and jumped on it. Will be messing around once it all gets here in a week or 2.

____

Also other news regarding the discus -

QT is over for my 3 newer ones and I've put all 4 back into my main tank. One of the 4 that I took out as a test fish actually stopped eating for some reason a few days before I took him out, but as soon as I put him in the QT tank, he gobbled everything up and became a massive bully to the new 3 turqs. All of that doesn't matter now as all 14 are together now.

Also cleaning the tank more often since my own beefheart mix is a bit messier than I anticipated. Should have added krill mix.

A few concerns. Ever since I received the 3 turqs, 1 of them has acted kind of odd.

He will still eat, swim, and mingle with all the other discus but I will occasionally find him slight tail standing (at an angle). He isn't always at the top of the tank (I have plenty of surface agitation), so I don't think its an oxygen issue. But he seems fine none the less.

My red scribblet has not been eating since the final levamisole treatment. Hoping he starts to soon. Will continue to do water changes and watch them closely. Helping a freind move today, so a video will come around tomorrow. Thank you all again for your help in my 125 setup
    Amateur discuskeeper, Professional doofus

Real Name
    Roland E. Wilson

I have a 125-gallon Aqueon tank and not drilled. I have a pre-filter system from LifeReef.com that's has been running for over 5 yrs. now without any issues. I turn off the return pump at least three times a day for feeding, once a week for water changes, never failed to re-start. I highly recommend this overflow box, check out the website for more info. My video: https://youtu.be/-OjYwLnx7Is

Real Name
    Tom

Great looking well built stand. Enjoy building it out.

There always seems to be one discus off from the rest. Just happens. As long as it does eat it will be ok. I’ve got one that eats just enough to live and one that eats vigorously but hides in the back of the tank by the filters.

I don’t know who’s losing siphon in their undrilled overflow? This new ones been running for a few months now. Never lost siphon. I change water 4 times a week. Also had a similar setup years ago that ran for a least 10 years without a problem.

Farebox yours is different than mine. What is the pvc pipe in the back box for?

Real Name
    Roland E. Wilson

It's a silencer. No gurgling sound of the water draining down to the sump.

Real Name
    Tom

Nice that is my major noise. Mine has a sponge there. Does yours have a sponge somewhere in the overflow? Does the pvc have holes in it for the water to run through?

Real Name
    Shan

Still waiting on parts and stuff to arrive, It will be another week or 2.

Here is a video of feeding. You can see the red scribblet still not showing interest. It's been a week now.

Real Name
    Jake

Shan, the fish look great. I love the way they attack that food.

As far as the Red Scribblet is concerned, I can't begin to guess as to why it refuses to eat - bullying maybe? From the video, it looks healthy. Fins are all spread and not clamped, no heavy breathing, swimming around fine, and the head isn't pinched in like it's losing weight. Just not showing interest in the food. What else have you tried in order to get it to eat?

I'm sure others with more experience than I will be able to chime in and perhaps give better suggestions. I wouldn't be too concerned after 1 week. If it gets to 2, I'd be a little more concerned.

Real Name
    Mervin

Nice set up and nice looking discus. Some folks raise the temp a degree or so to find out if it'll increase metabolism for picky eaters. Maybe try 86f.

Registered Member

Very nice discus Shan, what are your current favorites?

Real Name
    Shan

Temp is at 86 atm

I love so many man. They are all so gorgeous I honestly can't pick a favorite

Real Name
    Roland E. Wilson

No sponge, the silencer ordered with the overflow filter from LifeReef. http://www.lifereef.com/siphon.html

Real Name
    Shan

I am VERY interested in possibly adding a anoxic basket in my sump. Reading up on it now, but hypothetically if I were to install it into my sump along with all my substrate and decoration in the tank. Would I fishless cycle with ammonia the normal way? I ask this because wouldn't the basket absorb the pure ammonia? @farebox

Real Name
    Shan

Before anyone's undies get in a bunch -

I absolutely will keep doing large water changes as needed to keep clean water. Just might go down to 2 50% a week once this whole this is up and running and my discus are 5"+. In addition to adding pathos plants on the top for decoration and cleaner water, I just want to give the best possible water conditions for my discus and that includes keeping super low nitrates. Anything will help

So this brings me to this design I am leaning on. I could use the knowledge of more experienced and wiser hobbyist.

What do you guys think?

asfq3w452q3.png

Real Name
    Roland E. Wilson

Kinda what I have for my sump, no baffles, just one large BCB. Also, I have other bio media in the sump to aid with the bio filtration.

Page 17 of 26 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast