AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Shan's First Discus Journey

Default Re: Shan's First Discus Journey

Christmas is a time of kindness, generosity, and forgiveness. Please remember, Hans and his wife are basically a business of 2. The days before Christmas are very very busy and very stressful, what with all the orders going out and delays during shipping. It would be a good thing if you were to contact one another after the holidays and talk things out once everyone has had a chance to settle down and relax. Merry Christmas to you, Hansie, and all the rest of my Simply friends. Peace.
    Mama Bear

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Generally we like to leave transaction details in the livestock report section of the forum. Shipping and receiving fish this time of year is very stressful for the both the discus vendor and the person receiving the fish. COVID adds an unprecedented level of stress with delays in shipping.

I know Hans phone is exploding with texts in the time leading up to Christmas as well as trying to track fish stuck in the shipping loop.

Shan, I am sorry you feel the fish do not live up to your expectations.

I am suggesting here that we all take a step back and take a breath. Lets get past the holidays, allow the fish a chance to grow and see how things look a month from now. I am not taking sides, only suggesting allowing the emotions time to settle and the fish too.
    Pat
    Last edited by Second Hand Pat; 12-25-2020 at 10:47 AM.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Shan

Thank you everyone.

I love them. They are finally taking nibbles at beefheart. The red scriblet is a bully - guarding her chunk of food from the turqs. They are only taking nibbles if anything but that's progress. I will be starting levamisole after today's water change.

Edit- More than Nibbles now. This is the most the've eaten! Must be today's miracles or something lol

Last edited by Shan_Evolved; 12-25-2020 at 10:41 AM.
    Amateur discuskeeper, Professional doofus

Real Name
    Tom

Merry Christmas Shan!!! New fish do look great!! Same with the old! Congrats! Also like the rule drawn on tank. Great idea!

Real Name
    Francis

Are you joking after four days of arriving and giving them levamisole.???? First week observe ,making sure they are eating properly and passing normal feces and plenty of water changes.......I thought you are following Al’s quarantine procedure.

Quote Originally Posted by Shan_Evolved View Post
    Thank you everyone.

I love them. They are finally taking nibbles at beefheart. The red scriblet is a bully - guarding her chunk of food from the turqs. They are only taking nibbles if anything but that's progress. I will be starting levamisole after today's water change.

Edit- More than Nibbles now. This is the most the've eaten! Must be today's miracles or something lol

Grasshopper
    Francis

Real Name
    Shan

Quote Originally Posted by seanyuki View Post
    Are you joking after four days of arriving and giving them levamisole.???? First week observe ,making sure they are eating properly and passing normal feces and plenty of water changes.......I thought you are following Al’s quarantine procedure.
    Why are you so hostile man? It's Christmas..

I followed his QT procedure modified a bit with Cary's advice.

With my big batch I added levamisole at the end of the first week and they actually increased their appetite. But if there's a good reason I should wait another week to give them a levamisole bath, I'm all ears. I was under the knowledge levamisole isn't as powerful as a medication, especially in the form of a 24h bath

Real Name
    Francis

Now you are calling me hostile lol....yr discus you can do whatever you want.
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Easy guys, it's Christmas. Let's give each other some breathing room ok?
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Peace on earth. Good will toward men.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Frank

I may be off here but if my poor memory is serving well, levamisole can reduce appetite.

It has in my experience. But after several days they will start eating more than they had been. It's more than just a good wormer it makes the immune system stronger for some reason. It is used in cancer patients to give their immune system a boost. It just takes a few days for the immune system to gather together it's strength. I think it's like the Covid vaccine. You feel bad before it start's to work. Wish we had a doctor or veterinarian her to either confirm or tell me I'm a quack.

Merry Christmas from the peaceful Mama Bear.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Shan

Quote Originally Posted by fljones3 View Post
    I may be off here but if my poor memory is serving well, levamisole can reduce appetite.
    I have noticed they ignore a meal the following morning. But by the next day they are eating viciously. So I was hopeful the levamisole treatment would increase their appetite by next week. This solidifies what Liz said above me. I mean I'm still happy they are eating. I might hold on the levamisole another day or two due to being busy but we'll see

Real Name
    Shan

Couple of interesting updates -

-Got my 125 after 3 months of searching.

Seriously. Every local fish store here cannot order a 125 due to the nationwide glass/aqueon shortage, and the used tanks I've looked at have been pretty old or banged up. Luckily I got a deal for a 2 year old aqueon from a navy bro down here that is going on deployment for a great price. Not a single scratch on the glass either. Very lucky and fortunate find. I am planning on drilling it if possible, but I need to do a proper test to make sure the back panel isn't tempered.

-Week 3 of quarantine and the new discus are looking and eating great.

They have definitely grown a bit since I got them. The red scribblet is a bully to the 2 turqs, but at least they are all still eating. Next week is their last round of levamisole then we should be good to go after a test fish integration.

I'm blown away at how big the 125 is compared to the 55. It's massive. The discus are gonna love it once I set it up and cycle in a few months

Real Name
    Tom

Congrats on the new tank. You do know that all you have to do is move your filtration system over to the new tank and it will be cycled. You could also move some water. That’s what I do. Is the new tank 6’? For me I’m not a big fan of drilling tanks. Also it reduces the value of the tank. They do make hang on back overflows.

Real Name
    Brian

Good for you Shan! How is the cycle going?

Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast