AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Shan's First Discus Journey

Real Name
    Willie

Default Re: Shan's First Discus Journey

If you're changing 90% of the water daily, then the water in your tank is essentially the same as the water in your geographic water table. I change 100% daily and the water going in is the same as the water going out. (My water is conditioned 24 hours.) As far as the fish are concerned, pH, KH, GH do not change. That's the beauty of large water changes. If you're changing this much water, there are no pH crashes at all. I'd get rid of the crush coral.

Your sponge filter is the most biologically active bacterial reservoir because of the availability of oxygen. Canister filters are typically limited by the amount of oxygen, so bacterial growth is much less robust than open filtration systems. In addition, the amount of surface area is a sponge is orders of magnitude larger than what's available in bioballs. I've converted my entire fishroom to running only sponge filters. They also never accumulate gunk.

Good luck, Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Real Name
    Shan

Fourth Week of having them, and I'm starting to see some growth. Considering they're about 16 weeks old, I'm gonna have to get a bigger tank sooner than expected.

Nothing new to report. Missed a night of WC (ohno) because I forgot to turn on the aging barrel's heater/bubbler. derp.

Waiting on my order of SD's FDBW to start mixing into their diet this week. Woo.

Some update pics

Week_16_1.jpg
    Week_16_2.jpg

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Eugene

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    If you're changing 90% of the water daily, then the water in your tank is essentially the same as the water in your geographic water table. I change 100% daily and the water going in is the same as the water going out. (My water is conditioned 24 hours.) As far as the fish are concerned, pH, KH, GH do not change. That's the beauty of large water changes. If you're changing this much water, there are no pH crashes at all. I'd get rid of the crush coral.

Your sponge filter is the most biologically active bacterial reservoir because of the availability of oxygen. Canister filters are typically limited by the amount of oxygen, so bacterial growth is much less robust than open filtration systems. In addition, the amount of surface area is a sponge is orders of magnitude larger than what's available in bioballs. I've converted my entire fishroom to running only sponge filters. They also never accumulate gunk.

Good luck, Willie

I am a big fan of large WC for discus too. When I grown out my discus from quarter size to 4 inches, I do 2 x 90% WC per day. They are really healthy and happy

Real Name
    Shan

After I had cleaned the canister filter last weekend thoroughly, I had thought I got rid of the planaria but they are still here. On today's WC, I see a lot more than before. I am also having a hard time keeping my sponge filter clean as I am rinsing it in the tank water almost everyday. It seems to build up with poop. This is probably because I tried something different - - I used the sponge part of the sponge filter as the pre filter for my 525 sunsun canister.

What should I do to get rid of these planaria? I am only feeding enough to where they finish and scoop up leftovers within 10 minutes. I also turn the filter off during feeding and only turn it back on after I siphon.

I do daily 90% WC.

Feed BH 3-5 times a day and siphon out immediately.

Wipe everything down 1-2 days.

Running 1 sponge and 1 canister filter of which I recently cleaned up.

Here is a picture for reference.

84921435_3043784818989716_8731476265736863744_n.jpg

P.S. Fish are super fine and growing. Poop looks normal as well

Real Name
    Willie

I suggest you look at the canister again. Soak all the biostuff in 20% Clorox for 20 minutes and replace all the foam. That's where the planaria can hide. Your existing sponge filter can handle the biological filtration load with no problem. Frankly, there's little need for mechanical filtration if you're doing 90% water changes.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Real Name
    Francis

Perhaps add a pre filter for the canister..... https://fluvalaquatics.com/us/produc...filter-sponge/

Pre filter sponge on EBay.com......... https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...ponge&_sacat=0
    Last edited by seanyuki; 02-05-2020 at 10:47 PM.
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Real Name
    Shan

I might just have to omit the canister all together. However I haven't had any luck finding a pre filter that would actually fit my inlet vertically (always leaves a tiny bit of space.) I can do some more digging around and try a different pre filter. Or just as Willie says omit the canister all together
    Last edited by Shan_Evolved; 02-06-2020 at 05:29 AM.

Real Name
    Shan

A lot of my bunch are starting to push 3" now. Some of them look massive and I couldn't be happier. Still doing daily water changes and lots o feedings. The planaria went away with the help of a prefilter that actually fits and I am doing a better job of rinsing it every WC.

They are eating FDBW out of a cone once a day, they all love them.

One thing though, one of my Cobalts recently starting ignoring food all together and would hang out in a corner looking sad and depressed. Then I started to notice that all the fish wouldn't finish they usual serving of beefheart. I always find a good bit left over which seemed unusual. I raised the temp to 88 and added some epsom salt and lo and behold the next day -

metro1-2.jpg

I immediately went to petco and got some API gen cure which I will be administering until I can order bulk from JEHMCO tomorrow. Until then I will follow instructions per the API gen cure box and dose 5 packets for my 55 and leave for 48 hours.

Couple of questions to anyone reading this, please correct me if I am doing wrong (most info I got from here)

-88 F
    -big WC after 48 hrs instead of 24
    -less beefheart, some FDBW and bloodworms during treatment
    -watch closely

I am wating for a stronger heater to arrive this week so I can raise the temp to 91.

Please let me know if this sounds good or nay

Real Name
    Shan

Rough times, I knew it might happen but still hurts - -

The cobalt that had the white stringy poop turned real dark this afternoon and now is floating awkwardly occasionally turning upside down. He's struggling to swim obviously and I haven't seen him eating still. Its crazy cause he just stopped eating barely more than a day ago.

Not sure if he'll survive the night, not sure what I could have done differently... Guess we'll see

Edit: He died. Should I continue the metro treatment for the whole tank?
    Last edited by Shan_Evolved; 02-16-2020 at 09:36 PM.

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Sorry to hear Shan. Tough loss mate. I would continue the treatment for 10-12 days as hex is a common tank parasite. The complete treatment will greatly reduce pathogen nunbers by disrulting the life cycle and protect any othrr stressed fish from succumbing. Condolences bro

Real Name
    Shan

Kk will do. It's just insane to me that she died so quickly. I barely had a day to respond to him

Real Name
    Daniel

That is unusual for sure, especially since fish can live with hex for a long time. It may not have been the primary cause, but if you cut the metro treatment short you run the risk of the parasite developing resistance to it in your tank. Watch your other fish close for loss of balance. Perhaps the deceased discus had a swim bladder infection which is usually bacterial. Any swelling in abdomen?

Real Name
    Shan

No swelling in abdomen. In fact no physical issues whatsoever noticeable apart from loss of color two hours before death. it was doing the corner stare and swam normally not even 7 hours before death. Only thing I've done differently this week is add FDBW into diet. I still continued to do daily 90% PWC with aged water at 86F to match. I have a checker app that helps me remember to add prime to barrel before WC.

One strange thing that started a few days ago was that all the discus stopped destroying their BH feedings. Usually fed them about two small dime sized pieces which they would usually eat like 90-100% of it within 5-10 minutes, but recently they started to only eat 50% or less of the beefheart. Not sure whats so different. It has been in the freezer since purchase in a properly sealed container and I thaw only hours ahead of feedings if not a day.

Real Name
    Daniel

That's also unusual feeding behaviour. Your wc routine is also perfect, right down to adding prime as you do the wc. I hope someone with more longevity with discus can offer some assistance mate

Real Name
    Shan

Two of them definitely look stunted and I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the worm issue. Anyways I'll be treating them next 14 days with both metro and prazi.
    Any experts with opinions welcome. Here's a quick video of them eating.

P. S. Tank is at 88F atm and I want to raise it to 92 for the next 10 days. Is a gradual raising necessary or can I go straight to 92?

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast