ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 LastLast

Thread: Shan's First Discus Journey

Real Name
    Willie

Default Re: Shan's First Discus Journey

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    My filthy sponge was all you needed, Shan. I don't squeeze my sponges until they get filthy. I think it's counter productive. I know Willie is thinking that my poor fish live in filth. Sometimes people who respect one another get to the same goal in different ways. We both agree that nothing is better for the fish than large daily WC. Anyone who says otherwise is itchin' for an encounter with a mama bear.
    There's a big difference between occasional squeezing and never squeezing. My fight is with Nicholson.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Real Name
    Shan

I guess it was too late for some. But also a theory regarding my QT tank.

I woke up this morning to find my red turq dead. I didn't expect anything and he seemed to be doing okay yesterday. He's always been very dark colored and seemed a bit darker than usual yesterday and the day before but this still came a shocker for me.

168945501_951102985697430_7229410984115841394_n.jpg
    168886109_172190494644871_430311023453320557_n.jpg

I'm sad at both Kenny's death and my fish now.

My water quality is perfect right now, but that doesn't mean the damage has already been done.

Thinking back, I think this might have all started with my QT procedure. The single sponge that was powering the filtration for 3 discus in a 29 gal might not have been able to keep up with the bioload since it was already weak. Around week 6 of QT, I tested the water and it had nitrites which was weird because the first week the water in the QT tank was fine.

My theory is that somehow the QT tank cycle went awol, the 3 turqs got really sick from that (they were the ones acting funny), and then a had a bioload problem in my main tank.

I'm surprised they were able to survive a month after being put into the main tank given it's water quality issues. Then again this is just a theory.

I don't know what might have triggered this red turqs death. Truly saddening. I hope the rest of the fish are okay. I really dont see anything wrong with them besides lack of appetite for some. (but that's nothing new)
    Amateur discuskeeper, Professional doofus

I'm shocked! They were doing well and sponges made the water perfect. I think your theory is very possibly correct.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Shan

My final turq has been acting funny too. Clamped top and bottom fins, staying away from the group, hanging out near the bottom. Worried he won't make it either.

But it's okay. I learned a lot with this QT procedure and have a plan for the near future.

My 125 is cycling 4ppm ammonia within 12 hrs and nitrites are slowly getting there too. I think it will be cycled within the week if not next.

What do you guys think about this -

I move my main group into the 125 once it's fully cycled.

And then perhaps I can purchase 3x 5" discus and use the 55 my main group is in now as a proper QT tank since it's stocked with good sponges thanks to Liz and Willie?

Just trying to be positive and look ahead

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Daniel

Ah man, I'm sorry to hear that Shan. You've been on such a tough journey so far. I'm hoping your water quality problems resolve themselves and you can get to enjoying your fish in your 125 soon.

Real Name
    Shan

125 is eating through all nitrites in 24-36 hrs. It's almost there. I'll give it one more round of 4ppm ammonia/nitrite and if it eats that up in 24 hrs I'm gonna be ready to move my group into the 125!

I have a few questions I would love to hear the forums opinions and reasoning on if you guys have time~

1) Would it be alright to use my 55 with all these sponges in as a QT tank once I move the main batch out?

2) I'm planning on adding 10-15 Rams and 10-15 Corys. Is this too many to go along with my 14-15 adult discus? Tank is a 125 with a 29 sump and 2-3x 50% water changes per week (more if needed)

3) Finally - Does anyone have any 4-5" red or blue turq or similar discus for sale?

The sponges will gradually loose they're cycle W/O either fish or added ammonia. I'd move at least one of the well cycled sponges to the main tank. Hide it behind a piece of driftwood. A sponge's cycle depends on how well it is fed and the fish will feed it enough to keep it strong.

Your tank is at accepted limits with just the 14 Discus. I go over the limits all the time, but I'm a water changing fool. You could get away with a smaller group of Rams and Cory's or either the Rams or Cory's.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Tom

Shan sorry about your discus! It does suck. Here’s the unknown are your fish carrying something the new fish are not? Will your filters set off an illness? This cross contamination is real . So it’s a gamble. I too recomended moving at least one of your sponges into your new tank. Since your leaving the tidal on the tank that should be enough for 5 new fish.

Real Name
    Shan

@mama bear

I was definitely gonna move one of the sponges into the sump. I was also gonna keep dosing ammonia once a week at 4ppm to keep all the sponges healthy while the tank is empty. And thank you for the advice! I will try to get 10 Rams and 10 cories instead of the 15 of each

@Tom

Don't you know it. ****. Still sorry about your fish man hope they bounce back. I was only gonna get 2 maybe 3 max more discus

Real Name
    Shan

My 55 with all my discus has perfect water quality in it. I have 4 sponge filters and a giant HOB now. Overkill? Naaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. The fish seem to be eating and doing okay. I wanna expand their diet from sera granules and prime reef flakes to more food. I will look into it.

My 125 is eating through nitrites fast now. BUT I ran out of dr tims ammonia. Already have some coming in tomorrow. I had only enough for like 1-2ppm ammonia, and it converted all of that to nitrate within 12 hrs. However, I plan on dosing 4ppm ammonia and making sure all of it is converted to nitrates in 12hr before putting any fish in. I am being optimistic it will happen soon, but if it doesnt I will keep being patient. I don't wanna have the tank cycled for 2ppm ammonia and then I run into issues again. I understand patience is key.

Real Name
    Jake

Sounds like your plan is going well in the 125.

When I was cycling, my tank went through about 4ppm of ammonia in about 12 hours as well, which is when I knew it was completely cycled. At that point, you just want to maintain the cycle either by continually feeding or adding fish in. I fed mine daily, but broke it up into 2ppm in the morning when I got up and 2ppm in the evening right before bed. This way the BB weren't going long periods of time without having ammonia to chew through.

Real Name
    Shan

I don't remember where I read this but BB can survive a long time without a source of ammonia. A couple of days wouldn't kill or harm the colony. (someone please correct me if I'm wrong.) Regardless, as soon as it goes through 4ppm in 12 hours im putting fish in there anyways Lol.

Real Name
    Shan

Figured out how to record in 4k 120fps. Looks nice

Real Name
    Brian

I think they can't wait to move into their new home

Real Name
    Tom

Your discus look great!! Good luck with the move! They will look ever better in the bigger tank!

Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 LastLast