ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chickens, chickens, chickens

Default Chickens, chickens, chickens

It seems that I have to repopulate my chicken supply every year. There are predictors out here in the sticks and I insist on letting all my animals roam free. Some how even my dogs seem to know the property boundaries.

I have the hots in a big way for Lavender Opringtons. They are drop dead gorgeous and they go broody. That means I can experience a hen raising her own chicks and integrating them into the flock.

Right now I have Light Brahmas and a couple of Delaware's. My rooster is a Brahma and he will have to go. I don't want him messing with my Orphingotns because I want to raise purebred chicks. There is a big difference in the color of the Orphington eggs, so I will know if the hen is setting on the other color eggs and take them from her to replace with the correct eggs. Funny, I give my eggs away and only use eggs in recipes, but I want to raise pruebred chicks to sell.

Day old chicks are $20. each for this breed. No way I could afford that. But my neighbor has an incubator that I can use. Eggs for hatching are only 2 bucks each for 16 to 20 eggs. That I can handle. It will be my splurge of the month.

Here's a pic of the chickens from the place I'm buying from. https://www.meyerhatchery.com/produc...5w?prodID=LAOS
    Mama Bear

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Chickens, chickens, chickens

Those Lavender Opringtons are gorgeous Liz Definitely need pics of these beauties once they mature on you. Who would have figured there were lavender chickens.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Mervin

Nice looking breed.

And unlike the Blue Orpingtons they breed true.
    Mama Bear

SimplyDiscus Sponsor Chicago Discus's Avatar

Hi Liz. We bought some Lavender Orpington chicks in the late summer. I love Orpingtons! We have a mature Buff Orpington (named Buffy of course) as well. They are the friendliest chickens especially when they are broody. The Lavs are just now starting to lay, and they have not developed there combs yet. They are wonderful chickens! Here's a picture of one with our Americaunas that we got at the same time. Sorry for the lousy picture... it is a cold rainy day in Chicago today.

IMG_1011.jpg
    Chicago Discus

Website-- www.chicagodiscus.com
    Email---- chicagodiscus@att.net

I understand that Orpingtons are one the friendliest of all the breeds. Your girl does indeed look young. Where you able to buy it locally or did you order from a hatchery?
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Steve

Very nice looking strain Liz. I googled it just for fun, and it said they are raised now mostly for show. You said you want to sell the chicks. Will they be for show, or eggs,...?

They're good layers. So I'll be selling them for egg production. I don't have a refined eye for chicken quality and I don't show chickens myself so I wouldn't dare offer them as potential show birds.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Liz you might want to check out Murray mc murray hatchery. They are sold out now but you can get on
    a wish list. They go for 6$ a pc. straight run.
    Jay

I saw that. I looked on Murray McMurray, Cackle, and Meyer. I would only use Cackle if they were the only one left in the country. I actually wanted to buy eggs this time. It's something I have never done before. ff I raise them from I will get to watch them hatch. It's something I've never had the chance to watch.
    Mama Bear

Today I had eggs for breakfast, scrambled with hotsauce and a little parmesan cheese, the shells were white and the yolks were yellow, yum yum

Jeanne

Registered Member

Liz you started me thinking that instead of buying chickens every 2or3 years it might be really cool to hatch
    eggs. This pm I'm going to research a diy incubator and where to buy eggs.
    What are you doing to obtain the aforementioned items?
    Jay

My neighbor is letting me use her incubator. I'm buying my eggs from Meyer hatchery.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Mark

Hi Liz, I was looking at the link you put up and it’s not real far from where I live. My wife has been trying to talk me into a small flock. Just not sure how they would do with our 6mo old puppy and 7yr old Dane.

The dogs will have to be trained. I've swatted some of mine on the a$$ and said "no chasin' chickens" many times. I doubt the Dane will be the problem but teaching the puppy may be a bit of work. Teaching young dogs that they cannot chase something that runs from them isn't easy. If you keep your chickens in a coop this won't be a problem, but all my animals run free. I have 2 5 month old puppies right now, so I know.

These hatcheries are very strict about visitors. But if they allow you in it would be great to see their set up and their chickens with your own eyes.

It's hard to imagine what joy and entertainment a small flock of chickens will bring to you. Go with it.
    Mama Bear

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast