AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chickens, chickens, chickens

Registered Member

Default Re: Chickens, chickens, chickens

Liz
    I checked out Myers and they seem like an ok business. Going to call them tomorrow and see is
    they have eggs around the middle of april. Reason being that here, Northern Ct. I can't brood
    day olds in a kitty pool in the garage until around the beginning of May.
    Found out how to make diy incubator so will make it this week and give it a good test for temp and humidity.
    Also, found some really inexpensive ones on different sites.
    Anyway, when are you getting yours and keep me posted on your success.
    Jay

I'll be ordering mine on the 15th. I am very lucky I have a huge container that I used to use for growing out fish out of doors during the summer months. I can haul it into the fishroom out back into the fish room where it's always warm all the time. I can raise them these until they are ready to go in where I raise babies. It has it's own little run attached. It's in no way fancy but I can take pics if you like. I've never hatched my own eggs before but I've read how. I have raised day old's to layers many times.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Mark

Due to winged predators here they will be in a enclosed pen unless we are outside. Our neighbor lost a cat to a Bald Eagle and we have a good group of Red tail hawks also. The up side is the Dane is blind but our puppy will be a different story like you said. I have a few other things going so we will see. But for now I will enjoy your thread!

We have hawks but nobody has spotted a bald eagle around here yet. I have foxes to deal with. And possums if I forget to close the door to the chicken house at night. Last year I had an attack by what must have been coyotes. I never heard a sound but I woke up the next morning to a lot of carnage. I expect to have to repopulate every year. That's why I don't make pets out of my laying hens.

I finally got the money together to order my eggs. I checked my neighbor's incubator to make sure everything worked right. The eggs of the breed I want won't be available until April 4th. Nothing I can do but wait. I really really want this breed.
    Mama Bear

Meyer's are not available until April 4th, but I found these on E bay. Their Lavenders are much better quality than the pics of Meyer's chickens. Look at the feathering and just see how much smoother they sit. Please look at all the pics not just the one.

I've got a bid in but have been outbid. I'm going to wait until the last minute to put my final bid in, but with $16. shipping, I can't let myself bid higher than $60. for the 20 eggs. Considering the quality of the breeding stock they're worth that much. https://www.ebay.com/itm/33348239602...p2471758.m4704
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Mark

It says sold, did you win the auction?

No. I checked her past auctions and LO eggs never went for close to that high. She has another auction posted. I made a low bid early, but I'm going to bide my time and wait until the auction is close to being sold before I make my final bid.
    Mama Bear

I am so high on today and so looking forward to later in the week that I can't sleep. Wed. I will have my Rams from Tom. Later this week I will get my chicken hatching eggs. I have waited this long to take the plunge. I actually bought 2 breeds. Since the Bielefelders are auto sexing I can tell which breed the chicken is as soon as it's hatched out. I'll have to kill all but one of the males because these are bred down from free range chickens. I don't know how easy it will be to catch them for processing when they're older. I'm getting 14 of the Bielefelder eggs and 22 of the Lavender Orpington eggs. Orpingtons are friendly birds so catching the older males won't be a problem. Eventually I want to choose only the breed I like best to pass on his genes. The looser will make excellent chicken stock.

I sound so cold hearted but I'm not. I've become so soft that it almost embarrasses me. I know that the hard time will come when I have to kill animals and eat some. It's not my choice but it is the best of all options.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

I was totally shocked to see a post from you at 1am Liz! How funny you have the excitement insomnia for the week ahead. I am excited for you and looking forward to the tales you will tell us as this all unfolds! How fun!

You're surprised? I'm totally shocked. My claim to fame has always been that I'm a world class sleeper. I have a feeling that there is a nap in my future later today.

BTW, I'm still high from all the good fortune lumped together in one lucky day.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Lol. Did you have a stellar afternoon siesta?

It was a lovely 45 minutes resting my back and drifting in and out of sleep. I'll be normal again tomorrow.

BTW, both breeds of eggs will arrive Friday. It won't be as exciting as getting the fish, but I'll have something to get excited about when they start to hatch. This will be my first time hatching my own.
    Mama Bear

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Dust off that camera for the hatching Liz
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

I will for sure, Pat. I hope every things goes as planned. I just discovered that the egg turner quit working. I will have to investigate the success rate rolling them around by hand.
    Mama Bear

The Oprington eggs arrived a day early and the Bielefelder eggs a day late. After letting the Bielefelder rest, pointy side down for 24 hrs they went into the incubator yesterday. The only thing that worries me so far is that the humidity in the incubator won't go above 47 regardless of how much water I put in the tray. The humidity in the incubator won't go above 47.

I have a feeling that I'm going to much prefer the Bielefelders, but I won't know unless they hatch. Both breeds have a lovely light brown eggs but the Beilefelder eggs are very large and much more uniform than those of the Orpingtons both in color and shape. They are both friendly chickens but the orps are supposed to be snuggle bunnies while the Bielelfers are more independent. I have read that they often roost in trees. The poor Orps. can't fly that high.

Unless this experiment totally fails I'll be getting the camera dusted on in 20 days
    Mama Bear

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast