AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Anyone keeping bronze cories at 30C ?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Filipe

Default Anyone keeping bronze cories at 30C ?

I'm thinking of keeping a group of bronze cories. My tank is running at 30C has anyone kept bronze cories at that temperature?

Default Re: Anyone keeping bronze cories at 30C ?

That's a bit warm for a cory you would be better off with one of the smaller warm water pleco

Jeanne

Registered Member

Yep, I keep bronze corys with my discus at 30c, had no issues at all with them in fact that's how I grow out my young ones once they're a bit bigger as they grow faster with the abundance of food and water changes.

Real Name
    Bill G.

I have 4 in one Discus tank and 5 in another Discus tank. Temps for both tanks is 30c or 86f. Have had them for well over a year and they’re doing great, clean the bottom nicely, and are a joy to watch as they always are rummaging around. They are not the prettiest of the Cories, but they’re holding up well doing the cleaning job flawlessly.

Real Name
    Willie

Over the years, I've compiled a list of Corydoras that do well at 30C and those that don't.

RECOMMENDED:

C. sterbai
    C. aeneus
    C. adolfoi
    C. robineii
    C. julii
    C. panda (adults only)
    C. davidsandsi
    C. loxozonus
    C. knaacki
    C. aeneus (Green Laser)
    C. axelrodi
    C. schultzei
    C. arcuatus

NOT RECOMMENDED:

C. trilineatus
    C. habrosus (discus snack)
    C. paleatus
    C. aeneus (Orange Laser)
    C. panda (juveniles)

Hmm, maybe discus are not my only obsession?

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member

What abouc C. duplicareus?

Real Name
    Willie

Quote Originally Posted by unicast View Post
    What abouc C. duplicareus?
    Nope. I just killed off a batch of those! After losing 4, the rest of the batch went into an angelfish tank. I have empirical evidence that they do fine at 78F, but go belly up at 83F.

Willie

Registered Member

i used to keep lots of high end corydoras with my discus at 85 degrees. mainly because i didnt have another tank. it works, but i didnt feel safe and risk 2k worth of corys. so i lowered the temp to 80. and everybody is happy.

Real Name
    Megan

I keep numerous Corys at that temp with my Discus and they're fantastic, very healthy, happy, and hard workers. I haven't had bronze with them yet, but here's what I do have at 86°
    Panda
    Sterbai
    Julii
    Peppered
    Green
    The only one I've had that didn't seem to fair well was the albino. Though I only tried the one time, could have been a weak batch.
    I certainly think you should try the Bronze Corys. They're hardy, adaptable fish. Maybe have a back up tank option that's a lower temp, if you're concerned.

Registered Member

I used lin fin pandas In 29c and almost 30c. They seemed ok but whenever I missed a weekly water change or needed cleaning, I would loose one, so they were probably more sensitive to water condition at that high a temp.
    They were like "canary in a coal mine" when I observed they stopped being active, I knew something was wrong.

I also had a saddleback cory that survived any water condition and was surprisingly hardy.

I eventually lost all my panda from introduction of a fish with ick, and medication did not save all.

Since my water was warm (for discus), I felt I needed to start with different cory.
    I have not had any bottom fish in my tank for many months because of this dilemma of decision of what fishbto have in warmer water.
    The tank maintenance is quadruple without any fish on bottom.

I was considering clown loaches, but after much online observation, I am convinced they are not as optimal or efficient or as peaceful as corys for continuously sweeping bottom.

I need this bottom action to avoid fungus growth on bottom.
    I also get red algae blobs on bottom from some red algae in my color food for my angels.

I have since lowered my discus & angel tank waters to 29c , but having both tank bare bottom is alot maintenance.

I love the panda but don't trust them to be hardy enough for long term use in the higher temps.

Probably going for the serbai or julli this time around, although the orange lazer looks amazing.

I wanted to ask, is there a resistance to interbreeding corys?

Registered Member

Here is a short list of Corys that I have searched for thier higher temperature rating( in Fahrenheit):

C. araguaiaensis= 84.2
    C. sterbai = 82
    C. aeneus = 82(green & albimo)
    C. adolfoi = 78.8
    C. robineii = ?
    C. julii = 78.8
    C. panda = 77
    C. Melini = 78.8
    C. davidsandsi = 77
    C. knaacki = ?
    C. axelrodi = 78.8
    C. arcuatus =

C. habrosus (pigmy) 78.8
    C. paleatus (peppered)78
    C. armatus = 78.8
    C. breei = 78.8
    C. burgessi = 78.8
    C. caudimaculatus = 78.8
    C. concolor = 78.8
    C. coppenamensis = 78.8
    C. cruziensis = 77.9
    C. trilineatus = 77
    C. davidsandsi = 77
    C.duplicareus = 75.2
    C. copei = 77
    C. boesemani = 77
    C. duplicareus(ornge strpe/ lazer)75.2
    C. baderi = 75.2
    C. brevirostris = 75.2
    C. atropersonatus = 75.2
    C. duplicareus = 75.2
    C. metae = 75.2
    C. schultzei = 75
    C. loxozonus = 75

Real Name
    Willie

I don't know where these numbers come from, but several of them do not match up with my experience. C. loxozonus, C. duplicareus, C. knaacki, C. sterbai, C. davidsandii and C. schultzei can all handle discus temperatures (80 - 82F) with no problem. I have ~3 dozen C. sterbai in my altum angelfish tank, which is sitting at 86F. C. panda cannot survive these temperatures when young, but do fine as adults. In general, Planet Catfish has not been a reliable source of information on temperature.

Registered Member Trapdoor Snail Enthusiast's Avatar

what temperatures fish need is difficult to say because it's often not the temperate per se that causes the issues. it's the side effects of the temperatures, i.e. higher/lower oxygen content, bacteria issues, the lifecycles of parasites, all kinds of stuff.

for example, the goldfish police will tell you that you cannot, should not, must not keep them at high temperatures. yet, invasive populations thrive in the tropics.

hard and fast rules make us feel comfortable, because that way we can meet them and check them off the worry list. but in reality i think fish are much more flexible.

if the fish are healthy, then the parameters are "correct" even if they differ from other people whose fish are healthy.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    I don't know where these numbers come from, but several of them do not match up with my experience. C. loxozonus, C. duplicareus, C. knaacki, C. sterbai, C. davidsandii and C. schultzei can all handle discus temperatures (80 - 82F) with no problem. I have ~3 dozen C. sterbai in my altum angelfish tank, which is sitting at 86F. C. panda cannot survive these temperatures when young, but do fine as adults. In general, Planet Catfish has not been a reliable source of information on temperature.
    Yes you are correct.
    Most of those numbers were from planet catfish, and I expect them outdated and not as accurate, especially if tank raised.
    I am hoping the "gold lazer" type can handle higher temps, but cannot find much info on it yet. The scientific name I haven't found yet.

Real Name
    Willie

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx134 View Post
    Yes you are correct.
    Most of those numbers were from planet catfish, and I expect them outdated and not as accurate, especially if tank raised. I am hoping the "gold lazer" type can handle higher temps, but cannot find much info on it yet. The scientific name I haven't found yet.
    Gold lasers are Corydoras (ln7) CW010. They come up for sale periodically on AquaBid. A friend here in Minneapolis breeds them at 75 - 77F. I lost about 10 before deciding they can't handle discus temperatures.

Sorry, Willie