ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: New purchase question

Registered Member

Default New purchase question

Hello, new to forum. Thanks to all that post here, the info I have learned is tremendous. I have kept fish for many years and decided to do a discus tank. Here is my question. I would like to purchase from a sponsor breeder/seller from this site. I do not want to feed beefheart. I assume feeding BH will require many more water changes. Is there a specific sponsor to purchase from that does not raise the discus on BH? I will be doing weekly 50% changes. I will be purchasing 4inch fish. Tank is a 120, I'm running a fx6 and a fluval 406. I have watched many hours of videos and most seem to feed BH. I dont want to purchase fish that have been eating BH and switch if it will have and adverse effect on the fish or if it won't eat for me. If going from BH to a variety of other foods is no issue, then I guess it wont matter who I purchase from. I'm in NY if that matters. Sorry if I rambled. Thank you

Default Re: New purchase question

Just because the importer feeds it doesn't know that you have to. Discus adjust.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

You won't get max growth out of 4" fish with a 50% weekly water change, especially if you don't feed a high protein food. If you do feed high protein, dry or frozen, your nitrates will creep up and up and your fish will get stressed, possible sick, and not reach their growth potential. Discus grow rapidly to 5" with lots of clean water and nitrates <10 on water change day. You won't be able to manage that with your water change plans. Adult discus would be a better option for you if you can afford them.

OOPS! I missed the part about 50% weekly
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

You might shoot an email to Kenny, forum approved seller. I have not seen Kenny feeding his fish anything other than worms. All of my fish came from him. I, from day one, have fed only frozen brine shrimp and blood worms and freed dried Al's black worms and recently I have started feeding Tetra Color bits. I am surprised at how fast my fish grow with that diet and 100% tap water change per week with Prime added. That is me but the point is, and I agree, regardless of what they were fed in the past you can feed your fish a balanced diet of what you want to feed them. Years ago I used to feed breeders home made beef heart but don't any more.

Real Name
    Brian

Although I agree with Liz about them adjusting, but I always feed a BH mix and I don't have any issues with additional maintenance. But I make it a point to give regular water changes, especially on young ones...

Registered Member

Thank you for all responses. Peewee, your feeding regimen is exactly what I was thinking. I will send ken an email. I just read about someone on the forum freezing and shredding just BH limiting fouling. Thanks again. I'm sure I'll be back with many more questions.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Johnny

I concur with many of the posters, that the key to raising large discus is water changes. Of course high quality foods help, but much of the growth is attributed to clean water rather than the food. I've bought discus from three suppliers, Golden State discus, Hans, Kenny's, and they've all adjusted to a tetra colorbit only diet after a few days after only exclusively been fed beef heart.

Registered Member

That's what I was hoping to hear. Thanks

You can definitely get away with fewer (weekly) water changes if you go few fish high volume tank. Thinking far below 1 fish per 10gal moniker, more like 1 fish per 20 gallons and the math works out, especially if you are able to do more like 60% one time weekly.