Cobalt regular flakes
    Cobalt.color flakes
    Seachem Discus flake
    Hikari Discus Bio Gold Bits
    Mals FDBW
    Frozen Spirulina Brine Shrimp
    Frozen Bloodworms
    Mysis
    Not a fan of beef heart and seafood mixes.
    Seven, six inch snake skins, school of lemon tetras, three sterbaii cories. Colors are popping. I want to make sure they stay beautiful.
    A stunted discus is like an ugly baby. You think yours is beautiful until someone has the nerve to say "Damn! That's an ugly baby"

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Default Re: Is this enough variety?

No where near it. You need at least 18 more varieties of foods to ensure that

Real Name
    Brendan

Holy moly. If I could get mine to eat even half as much as that I'd be happy!

They eat everything. Blackworms are their favorite but they don't pass up any meals.
    A stunted discus is like an ugly baby. You think yours is beautiful until someone has the nerve to say "Damn! That's an ugly baby"

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Show off, haha! Good for you mate

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    No where near it. You need at least 18 more varieties of foods to ensure that

Real Name
    Mervin

Omega color pellets or flakes is what I'd say was the best food to bring out colors especially red, but it is not what your looking for because it is fish based. Also, all my fish go for the floating variety vigorously. Feeding fish ,fish you can't go wrong.

Oh I'm talking about making my own seafood it beef heart mix. I may try the Omega products one I need to restock.

Real Name
    Mervin

Beef heart is not needed to grow out healthy, big discus. It is a cheap protein, other than that there are other high quality protein prepared foods and not create water issues as much.

How I got them to eat everything was actually accidental. Sometimes I skipped one or two days. I am on a couple of boards in my town. Meetings keep me out, so if I knew I couldn't do a water change on a scheduled meeting day I would not feed them. I would then introduce a new food after the skipped day or days. I fed only the new food for the day. Now, I can feed any combination of foods at one feeding and they eat it. The place I purchased them from feeds beef heart. I don't have the time to commit to cleaning any uneaten beef heart after feeding. I wanted to make sure I gave them a sufficiently varied diet to keep them healthy and colorful. Good to know I am on the right track. Love Discus.

Quote Originally Posted by bluelagoon View Post
    Omega color pellets or flakes is what I'd say was the best food to bring out colors especially red, but it is not what your looking for because it is fish based. Also, all my fish go for the floating variety vigorously. Feeding fish ,fish you can't go wrong.

Omega One Color foods are sold out at Big Al's Pets and Petco. What the heck?! All of the Omega One products at Big Als Pets are sold out. Even the turtle food and tadpole foods. Correction, you can still order the veggie clip :-/
    Last edited by mlw; 01-13-2020 at 11:58 PM.

Real Name
    Mervin

I have tried that Cobalt food. Non of my fish really liked it but had to eat it anyways til it was gone. A variety is always better. Even tho pizza has meat and veggies; I wouldn't wanna eat it every meal.