ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: New Discus Tank

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Peter

Default New Discus Tank

Just started up my new 120G with 12 discus total - New ones (6)5-6" ; transferred from my 60g tank (6) 3-4"

The new fish that I purchased locally are from a tank that was in a room where there was not much activity or traffic. My 120G is in the living room with traffic and some natural lighting. I'm not turning on tank lights and try to approach tank slowly. I only have a large driftwood log, no plants and white sand.

Water parameters are great and temperature at 83-84, PH 6.4. I'm not sure if all are eating but some do eat, they just seem overwhelmed by our activity around tank and somewhat stressed (not jumpy just a lot of hiding behind log).

When activity slows down and I observe from the distance they seem to act more naturally. Do discus fish eventually get use to new activity? what should I do to make them feel more comfortable? , is it a waiting game? should I place plants in tank? do more water changes? ( I do wc 1 a week) ? Help please, need to find ways to make this transition smoother for the fish. Don't want them to continue feeling the stress of a new tank and eventually getting sick , this can start going down hill if I don't act now.

Thank you,

Peter
    Last edited by petshannon; 01-14-2020 at 10:31 AM.

Default Re: New Discus Tank

Peter, don't over think. Doing good but up the WC frequency. I have my 150 in high foot traffic area. Dogs bouncing around, kids being crazy, people in and out... just do what you do... but change water more frequently. (I do 2x per week 70% but I recommend 3x min... yes, I'm a hypocrite! )
    Turn that light on. They'll get used to everything. Also, depends on the group personality. I've had some groups somewhat shy and other groups who say at front begging for food like puppies. My current group is mixed... some swim behind cover at first when some people pass by while others are at the front glass screaming, "FEED ME!"

All of that is just my opinion/experience!
    Last edited by pastry; 01-17-2020 at 09:59 PM.
    -Elliot

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Peter

Thank you, you are right....fish are doing well. Not always eating with excitement but adapting. Will increase wc to about 2-3 a week.
    Peter

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

They definitely get used to the activity. My dog tries to catch the clown loach all the time and slams his face into the glass and the discus does not even budge. However, you mixed two batches. Just keep an eye on them and look out for white feces.

I agree to increase water changes. Also, sticking FDBW to the glass will get them to become more social, believe it or not. Eventually, after like 4 feedings, they will go crazy once you're around. Mine think that they are about to get FDBW when I'm close. lol

Okay, the dog slamming his face into the fish tank is hilarious! As for putting the freeze dried black worms on the glass to make them come out, one thing I noticed is if I slack on water changes then they start to act shy and they will only come up to the cube if I walk away or backup. If I am on top of water changes man they all beg for food whenever I'm around. That's just something I noticed with my current group. Somehow with my current group, they act shy when the water quality is not as good but then totally become Beggars when I'm doing good on water changes
    -Elliot