AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please Help Unsure if it is Ich or something else!

Registered Member

Default Please Help Unsure if it is Ich or something else!

DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?
    I just got a four new fish in a qt from the same online store that I received fish from previous about a month ago (it was a replacement order for fish that had come with deformailties and poor health we tried to add it up to the rough shipping experience) now what looks like white slime (possibly ich) on all the fish this morning with one of our little ones that made it from the original batch died. I'm so beyond upset but I dont know what disease I need to treat

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).
    Excess slime? White mucous like substance in patches on body and fins has traveled to most of the fish in the qt tank one fish has only uses one fin at a time and rests on the bottom of the tan km (not horizontal but still)

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.
    Daily water changes between 75 to 80 percent is our normal

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.
    7 fish all small around 2.5 size 45 gallon qt tank all discus we have only had the newest four a week the others for about three weeks

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).
    75-80% daily

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?
    The qt tank has been going for 6 months there is small gravel rocks less than 1in deep

9. Parameters and water source;
    House water

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp __86___

- ph ___7.6__

- ammonia reading _0___

- nitrite reading ___0_

- nitrate reading _5.0___

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water _x___

- RO water ____

10. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.
    4 new discus arrived last week

11. Please tell us what you feed your fish and how often. This can be critical information for solving the problem so be as specific as you can.
    Ken's beef heart flakes
    There are other pelets too but I dont have the names on hand our main tank gets the same food though different containers I also want to make sure whatever this is doesnt get to my main tank

12. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.Screenshot_20200115-110923_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20200115-110042_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20200115-110817_Video Player.jpg

Registered Member

Default Re: Please Help Unsure if it is Ich or something else!

Sorry just to add I dont know If this store did this maliciously to be honestly because I had asked for replacements after paying over 500$ for fish in poor health and deformalities. I did tons of research before the purchase and the store had amazing reviews but now I just want to make sure these guys survive

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Are you saying you paid $500 for 7 x 2.5" discus? That is outrageously overpriced. You could buy the same number of discus in 4"+ from one of our sponsors. Who was the retailer?
    The fish pictured are also very poor quality. The first one has a deformed mouth, the second is badly stunted with terrible eye to body ratio, and the third has beaky face.
    I cannot see the slime you're talking about. Were their heat packs in the shipping box? Was the water in bags warm when they arrived to you?
    My first suggestion is to file a complaint with your credit card company and try to get your money back.
    Second is remove the gravel and make the tank bare bottom.
    3rd is add stress coat and salt at 3tbsp/10gal with each water change.
    Sorry you had such an awful experience mate. Vendors can manipulate there reviews to make them all look good. Our site sponsors have been vetted by Al and care more about the value of their reputation than fleecing unwitting customers. SMH

Real Name
    Brian

Sorry you're having issues here. the Turq appears to be a little stunted. The pepper and darkness could be due to stress or bugs.

Do you mind telling us which online store you got them from?

Even if they are from the same seller, they should be QT'd separately because you never know what's changed during the previous month. Just so you know, most online sellers will not replace anything that arrives alive in the first place.

I would recommend a QT tank to be bare bottom only. If these fish did arrive with bugs, any amount of substrate is a perfect breeding and hiding place. It also allows us to eliminate certain other possible issues.

For now I would put them in a BB tank, maintain your excellent water change quality and regimen and let us know if anything changes. I suspect you would want to crank the heat up to 93 and add some salt, but it may not be necessary unless a BB tank doesn't change anything...
    Last edited by jeep; 01-15-2020 at 04:45 PM.

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    Are you saying you paid $500 for 7 x 2.5" discus? That is outrageously overpriced. You could buy the same number of discus in 4"+ from one of our sponsors. Who was the retailer?
    The fish pictured are also very poor quality. The first one has a deformed mouth, the second is badly stunted with terrible eye to body ratio, and the third has beaky face.
    I cannot see the slime you're talking about. Were their heat packs in the shipping box? Was the water in bags warm when they arrived to you?
    Upon closer examination, Danny is correct about some deformities. I also see chipped eyes in the last photo. I don't trust this seller!!!

Registered Member

I'm not sure if he is one of your sponsors but I know they arrived horrible condition and if he were local I would have returned them to his shop. The first 7 came in too large of a box so two of the bags titled causing them to poke holes in the their bags with the box completely wet on one side. one of the tigers died the next day because he was out of the water for who knows how long when being shipped they did have heat packs both times but the water was cold and they were shipped over night.the original bunch had over half chipped eyes and horrible peppering and the one with the deformed mouth like you see in the picture. We tried to give the shop the benefit of the doubt even though he stated he hand picked them out and didnt see deformities until we sent pictures then he offered to send four replacements. I was worried but agreed these guys arrived last week and now have weird white slime that is on almost all the fish in the qt tank I'm just not sure what it is and hope it cant spread to my main tank. I was going to reach out to the store again because I feel he sent sick fish on purpose now though maybe it is just better at this point to go through my credit card... It was a toss up with Ken's discus though we were looking for smaller guys and at the time he didnt have any and this store
    So now I have a tank full of potentially sick fish we lost one this morning and another isnt looking good at all I'm going to clear out the gravel and will try to get better pics so hopefully I can get some help to know what I'm dealing with Thank you so much
    Last edited by Scarletdragonfly; 01-15-2020 at 04:56 PM.

Registered Member

Here are some better pictures of the weird white slime Attachment 126524
    Attachment 126525
    Attachment 126526

I did a lot of research and got these through jackwattley discus after watching all of the youtube videos looking up reviews and talking to him it felt like it was a good move. He was very nice to talk to on the phone and I do understand things can happen and that's why I reached out with the first shippment but now I have replacements that are making the whole qt tank have this white slime. The fish that were in the qt tank prior were from his first shippment and the replacements just arrived a week ago and now this has shown up.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Can you check your ammonia please. The fish appear to be shedding their slime coat.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

Hi Pat just ran another ammonia test and still showing zero do you know what else it could possibly be?

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Scarletdragonfly View Post
    Hi Pat just ran another ammonia test and still showing zero do you know what else it could possibly be?
    It looks like cross contamination to me. Having gravel in a QT is a little weird plus you added the four new ones in with the old ones. Are the old ones shedding their slime coat also?
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

I was trying to make a comfortable environment which is why I added gravel and a few fake plants. I only have one qt tank and since both batches of the discus were from the same breeder in a short amount of time is why they ended up together. What cross contamination could it be? I have now removed the gravel and am slowly adjusting the heat and adding some salt but if there is more I can do for them any advice would be helpful. Yes it is showing on a couple of the original ones and two of the new ones.

Real Name
    Brian

I suspect bacterial at this point.

Have a look at one of Danny's posts from last year. I use it quite often as reference in situations like this. It's a long read but is a great example of how these things can progress http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...ion&highlight=

Registered Member

Thank you so much for the read that is great information I appreciate it

Quote Originally Posted by Scarletdragonfly View Post
    I'm not sure if he is one of your sponsors but I know they arrived horrible condition and if he were local I would have returned them to his shop. The first 7 came in too large of a box so two of the bags titled causing them to poke holes in the their bags with the box completely wet on one side. one of the tigers died the next day because he was out of the water for who knows how long when being shipped they did have heat packs both times but the water was cold and they were shipped over night.the original bunch had over half chipped eyes and horrible peppering and the one with the deformed mouth like you see in the picture. We tried to give the shop the benefit of the doubt even though he stated he hand picked them out and didnt see deformities until we sent pictures then he offered to send four replacements. I was worried but agreed these guys arrived last week and now have weird white slime that is on almost all the fish in the qt tank I'm just not sure what it is and hope it cant spread to my main tank. I was going to reach out to the store again because I feel he sent sick fish on purpose now though maybe it is just better at this point to go through my credit card... It was a toss up with Ken's discus though we were looking for smaller guys and at the time he didnt have any and this store
    So now I have a tank full of potentially sick fish we lost one this morning and another isnt looking good at all I'm going to clear out the gravel and will try to get better pics so hopefully I can get some help to know what I'm dealing with Thank you so much
    This whole post doesn't make sense, are you sure you didn't get these from a seller at aquabid

Jeanne

Registered Member

Hi Jeanne Im not sure what doesn't make sense? I know I purchased these fish from jackwattley discus. Ive never even heard of Aquabid. I was honestly shocked because I did so much research before purchasing and even spoke with Gabe on the phone and ended up with poor discus that no one would ever pick out. I came here to try and save these poor guys since the replacements for the original two that died and two that had severe deformities arrived sick. Thanks to some of the members I now have a lot of helpful information to hopefully get these guys to pull through.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast