AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Swim bladder issue a week now

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Denise Heric

Default Swim bladder issue a week now

Hi all
    I have a large red melon almost 7 inches in size that I have had for 3 years now, never had any problems before. A week ago one morning she was at the top tilted sideways. I believed that she over ate fdbw. I Put her in a quarantine tank with water level above her head. She just would spin around trying to swim. I Put 4 Tablespoons of Epson salt in. I ended up administering Furan 2 and Epson salt for the next 4 days. No change but poop everyday in the tank. Ran out of Furan 2 and used metro for another 3 days. Today I took her out and tried to feed her some wetted flake food with a syringe. She fought me hard. Lol She is still going but just lays on her side mostly staring, every now and then swimming up right but just for a few seconds. I realize it's a lost cause. How many would tell me to just euthanize her or should I give it another week? Maybe a ruptured swim bladder?

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: Swim bladder issue a week now

Can you give us some photo's? Especially a close up of the mid section? Do you see a bulge there?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Denise Heric

Yes.
    Last edited by dmheric; 01-15-2020 at 09:23 PM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Denise Heric

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    Can you give us some photo's? Especially a close up of the mid section? Do you see a bulge there?
    not really any noticeable bulge. I am not sure why my photo wont load. It keeps failing. Tried uploading it off my phone and lap top with several different photos. Photo files must be too big I guess.
    Last edited by dmheric; 01-15-2020 at 09:26 PM.

Real Name
    Brian

Yeah, too big. I email them to myself the the email program automatically resizes them.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Denise Heric

I tried to do it that way and it didn't work. I will try again tomorrow.

I've had a similar issue with a fish I kept for atleast 3 years. Tried several meds Kanamycin, Metro, lowering water, salt. Nothing worked. He was basically lying on one side. I finally gave one last try with bactocide-2 med and he literally got back normal by day-3. He's been sick for over 2 weeks prior to the treatment.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Denise Heric

I tried to buy some Bactocide 2 a few days ago, but it's sold out for at least another week according to Kao at Champion Discus and Myrtle Beach Discus is out too.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Denise Heric

A new update this morning. I was very surprised to see my discus was up right this morning and not laying on her side. Late last night before I retired I put another 250 mg dose of pure metro in the water as after reading a few threads some had dosed two or three times a day with metro. I just can't believe the difference in her. Still pale in color but she is swimming. I added some extra water about another 3 inches and she looks happy. I am going to give her another 250 mg this morning. Will give another update later.

Quote Originally Posted by dmheric View Post
    A new update this morning. I was very surprised to see my discus was up right this morning and not laying on her side. Late last night before I retired I put another 250 mg dose of pure metro in the water as after reading a few threads some had dosed two or three times a day with metro. I just can't believe the difference in her. Still pale in color but she is swimming. I added some extra water about another 3 inches and she looks happy. I am going to give her another 250 mg this morning. Will give another update later.
    That's good to hear ! Yes, its safe to dose metro every 8hrs.
    mine lost the color and never got it back ...

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Good to hear she has improved Denise.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Brian

Denise, in my experience, with swim bladder issues I've always seen a pronounced bulge in the mid section. I recently had a head stander that did not have the bulge but I did catch a little bit of what looked like infection oozing from the anus. This told me it was an internal infection not related to the bladder. I did like you did and placed in a hospital tank, lowered the water level and I treated with kanamycin. I was shocked that he rebounded within about 5 days and he's not relapsed. I have a feeling you are dealing with a similar issue.

I would keep up your treatment for another 5 days before placing it back in community...

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Denise Heric

Yes. I will definitely keep up with the metro and some extra TLC. She has the 40 gallon tank all to herself for how ever long it takes for her to heal. So happy that I did not give up on her now. I will post an update next day or so on the FB page to share my experience since I have trouble uploading photos/videos on here. Thanks again for all your replies.