ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Discus Protector Quick Quarantine

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Don Speers

Default Discus Protector Quick Quarantine

Has anyone used this product when introducing new discus? Would not skip regular quarantine, but wonder what if any benefit this product offers. Based on expected side effects to mucous coating seems kinda harsh, but if it is a good prophylactic, maybe worth the side effects.
    http://www.discusfood.com/discus-pro...ck-quarantine/

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Default Re: Discus Protector Quick Quarantine

Interesting Don, I have never seen this product before. I'm interested to see if anyone we know where on SD has experience with it. It would be good to know the active ingredients, hit I didn't see those listed on the link or the PDF download...

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

It does not show the active ingredients but does sounds like it stripes the slime coat. Also seems to encourage shortcuts to proper QT.

FAQ
    Q: May I devide the content and dissolve it in smaller bulks?
    A: NO, never. The complete content must be dissolved at one time and is intended for one single use!
    Q: Why does the entire content have to be dissolved in 10 liters of water?
    A: Discus Protector consists of a wide range of components that are exactly matched to each other. Some of these high-quality ingredients are present in very low quantity. A division of the contents leads to dangerous shifts of the total active ingredients!
    Q: How does Discus Protector operate?
    A: Discus Protector acts antiseptically and cell-destroying. The plasmids of bacteria will be destroyed by the osmotic effect.
    Q: Why do parts of the mucous membranes fall off during or after the short bath?
    A: The parts of the mucous membrane which are infected by bacteria and external parasites are repelled.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Don Speers

I agree that I would not substitute this for full quarantine. The issue is whether this is worthwhile as part of a prophylactic regimen and if so whether it would substitute for one of Al's steps or be an additional first step. My initial reaction is this seems awfully harsh given that the fish is already stressed either due shiping or alternatively in my case, being driven around in a bag for a little over 60 minutes. Don't like that ingredients are not listed either.

Also, my fantasy is that I will be able to successfully mix discus from different sources safely as the tank(s) that exist in my mind require such mixing. Consequently I am looking hard at quarantine procedures to maximize my chance of successfully actualizing my vision even though I realize I what I want to do is inherently high risk.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Don Speers

Also I cannot be sure what one time use means, is it that day with a given shipment with multiple fish put through the dip or one dip packet in new 10 L per fish?

Registered Member

i think this help only company making more money hahahaha

Real Name
    Willie

Quote Originally Posted by Tuterosso View Post
    i think this help only company making more money hahahaha
    At my age, everything is irritating.