ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Experience with Tanks Taller Than 29" (Susceptible to Blowout?)

Registered Member

Default Re: Experience with Tanks Taller Than 29" (Susceptible to Blowout?)

Shop around on ebay and you will find acrylic tanks for pricing similar to glass tanks. Most private manufacturers recommend acrylic for tanks of 30 inches or higher. Why take the risk?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jay

I have a 31" tall cube (24"x24" base, 75 gallons) and a 36" tall 270gallon, both are all glass. The cube is 1/2" thick glass and the 270gallon is 5/8 thick glass. If the tank is built properly and properly supported I don't see any reason to be afraid. The biggest hassle I have with them is getting to the bottom for proper maintenance. I bought a 32" tall python vacuum attachment that has made life a lot easier, also a scrub brush on extending pole. Next i am going to get an extending grabber arm to move stuff around at the bottom.

Real Name
    Willie

I've had no problems at all with a Marineland 29" deep, 110 gallon tank. The glass is 5/8". The issue, I believe, is not the tank. Quite often, the stand is uneven. I leveled my home built stand with shims and sat the tank on a 1" styrofoam sheet (Home Depot).

Having said that, I wouldn't buy a big used tank for fish. Who knows how the previous owner(s) took care of it?
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Real Name
    Willie

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedDiscus View Post
    ...I bought a 32" tall python vacuum attachment that has made life a lot easier, also a scrub brush on extending pole. Next i am going to get an extending grabber arm to move stuff around at the bottom...
    A grabber is a real nice addition to deep tanks. I've not been able to find a good scrub brush. If you like how yours work, what's the model?

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    harry g

Had a 125 & 150 new marineland tanks leak. WARR. was good but what a pain in the a*^. I later found out about bad silicone. Both stands were new. Company could have been sold, tanks or silicone & down goes the quality.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12