AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Experience with Tanks Taller Than 29" (Susceptible to Blowout?)

Registered Member

Default Experience with Tanks Taller Than 29" (Susceptible to Blowout?)

I am looking to get a 210 gallon Aqueon, and given the height (29.625"), and the pressure to be exerted that is greater than my now already kind of what I think to be pushing it 90 gallon 25.375" tall 91 gallon. I wanted to know first hand, peoples' experience with them.

I have heard a few stories of people having some bad luck with the Marineland 110 that is about the same height at this 210 I am looking at, for they are both subject to the same pressures. (Thimble 30" tall and bucket 30" tall. Both have same pressure at bottom.) Hence me opting to go for the 90 gallon; same footprint as 210, just shorter and not so much hearsay about them busting.
    Also reading about the Marinleand 300DD, they have had some blowouts. Perhaps due to the larger footprint and the higher difficulty in approriately leveling it? I don't know, another FACTOR among many to consider in accordance with a metric you can help me develop.

I was wondering was it just the brand? Or was it other FACTORs that go unnoticed because of that scarcity of the emperical data collection of those corner case SITUATIONs.

If you could help me out here by providing me with any info you have about this question, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks alot in advance!
    Last edited by Señor Discus; 01-16-2020 at 03:22 PM.

Default Re: Experience with Tanks Taller Than 29" (Susceptible to Blowout?)

Something specific drawing you to talk tanks?

Highly recommend 120 (2x2x4), 180 or 240 (6 and 8’ lengths) As a high impact, high volume, tall enough work horse for discus that assuages all concerns and if done in 3/4” glass can be rimless!

Real Name
    Steve

No experience with tanks this tall, but I've heard of folks complaining about difficulty in cleaning. Can't reach the bottom. But all depends on your set up. Good luck.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Eugene

I have the 210 gallon Aqueon for about 9 months. I have 21 7'' discus and 12 Rams living happily in there. I do 80% percentage w/c everyday and so far the tank hold the water very good. People have problems with these size of tank mainly is because the tank is not sit on a level stand.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Eugene

According to my memory, the glass they used to build the 210 is at least 5/8'' thick. I can measure it out when I come home tonight

Registered Member

I figured that would be the variable that is not controlled in these so-called experi[ence]ments we call life, that give us this empirical data that will be to no avail of my qualms about this debacle. The only way is to do it myself with the control of all the variables/FACTORs.

I assume the silicon seals are sufficient because like stated in other forums, it's quite an investment that upholds your name as a brand, and keeps money in your pocket by not having to pay out on those whose tanks failed on the stands that would validate the warranty they would fulfill by monetary means.

Although in your case it's only been nine months, you are more closely related to a more accurately controlled experi[ence]ment than others with it for 3 or 4 years perhaps, in that you have a level setup, as you are aware of its imperativeness. Thanks for your response!

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by eugenefish View Post
    I have the 210 gallon Aqueon for about 9 months. I have 21 7'' discus and 12 Rams living happily in there. I do 80% percentage w/c everyday and so far the tank hold the water very good. People have problems with these size of tank mainly is because the tank is not sit on a level stand.
    I would appreciate that very much!

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by RogueDiscus View Post
    No experience with tanks this tall, but I've heard of folks complaining about difficulty in cleaning. Can't reach the bottom. But all depends on your set up. Good luck.
    That was my only concern about it, but it would just look so kick ***!

I am accounting for the purchase of a longer python "tube" and some of those trash grabber things haha

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Eugene

This is what I used to clean my 210 gal tall tank. All I have to do is to drain the water couple inches down before I start the cleaning.

JW Pet Company 22-Inch Aquarium Algae Scrubber

Registered Member
    Real Name
    harry g

I have a aqueon 210 for a little over a year.Had 2 marineland tanks blow out. I think a lot of it has to do with the silicone & the builder.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

I have a 32 inch tall 240 acrylic tank. The acrylic is 3/4 inch.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Mark

I had an AGA 220 for 12 yrs. Never leaked, but you will get wet cleaning it unless you use tools.
    My current tank is a custom made 245 gal that is 72” long 30” wide and 26” deep. It’s made with 1/2” Starfire on three sides and standard on the back. Mine is an in wall so it has its own challenges at cleaning time. I would take a close look at seams before opening your wallet regardless. The tanks I won’t touch are bow fronts made of glass, acrylic is fine. The glass ones use a thin glass and often fail, sometimes spectacularly.

Real Name
    Willie

I have a 110 gal tank, which is 48" wide, 18" deep and 30" tall. It's been running for 2+ years and gets daily 80% water changes. Have never been concerned about a blowout. Since buying my tank, I've seen a couple of the same size come up on Craig's List, so obviously no blowouts.

As for cleaning it, I attached a coarse pore sponge to a toilet brush holder and can clean out every nook and cranny in 5 minutes.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by gunnerschh2 View Post
    I have a aqueon 210 for a little over a year. Had 2 marineland tanks blow out. I think a lot of it has to do with the silicone & the builder.
    Were the SITUATIONs controlled with the same location?

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cove Beach View Post
    I had an AGA 220 for 12 yrs. Never leaked, but you will get wet cleaning it unless you use tools.
    My current tank is a custom made 245 gal that is 72” long 30” wide and 26” deep. It’s made with 1/2” Starfire on three sides and standard on the back. Mine is an in wall so it has its own challenges at cleaning time. I would take a close look at seams before opening your wallet regardless. The tanks I won’t touch are bow fronts made of glass, acrylic is fine. The glass ones use a thin glass and often fail, sometimes spectacularly.
    So should I look for at least 5/8" Glass?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast