ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wild Discus and Altum Angel Photoshoot

Registered Member

Default Wild Discus and Altum Angel Photoshoot

Hey everyone! I was browsing through the forum and I stumbled upon some beautiful fish in the Pics and Vids section and so I thought I'd share some of my own The discus are Wild Caught Reds/Browns and Heckels and the Altums are F1. I finally managed to realise my wild discus dream last year, and it's been a rough but very rewarding experience so far, and I'm really happy seeing my fish in a full, healthy and vibrant colouration. The gang will be moving into a much larger aquarium in a few months' time, and I can't wait to see how they'll look there; for now though, I'm sharing these photos from their current setup because I think they look quite beautiful with their ''rustic'' natural colour palette. I'd love to hear what you guys think
    2.jpg
    3.jpg
    4.jpg
    5.jpg
    6.jpg
    24.jpg
    1.jpg
    7.jpg
    8.jpg
    22.jpg
    19.jpg
    18.jpg
    9.jpg
    10.jpg
    11.jpg
    14.jpg
    13.jpg
    12.jpg
    15.jpg
    16.jpg
    17.jpg
    21.jpg
    20.jpg
    23.jpg
    25.jpg

Default Re: Wild Discus and Altum Angel Photoshoot

Where did you get your discus

Jeanne

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Stunning mate. I particularly like the red/brown with the distinct heckel bar, very interesting wild fish, but my favorite for overall shape and appeal is the 3rd last picture, wow, stunning discus! Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to seeing them in their final destination

Registered Member

They're from a local retailer who imports them from the Netherlands; as stocks here are non existent, I got all fish I could find, even if some were a bit less than ''perfect''

Registered Member

Thank you for the kind words. He's a beauty, as much as I don't want to say ''this is my favourite'', he kind of is! He's also a fertile father, he's given me 3 successful spawns already (none of which I have been able to nurture, sadly) Here's a picture comparison for you; there is a 1 year time gap between them.
    What he looked like a few days after I had just got him about a year ago
    28.jpg
    What he looked like tending the eggs in full breeding colouration His colours really remind me of a parrot for some reason!
    viber_image_2020-01-18_10-18-36.jpg
    Last edited by Amazon Sword; 01-18-2020 at 04:34 AM.

Beautiful group !! Love the colors and great shapes on them.

Registered Member

Thank you very much for the nice words Sanjay! Despite the fact that some of them have less than ideal shape, I really couldn't care less, I like them all very very much. I've been quite religious with my water changes for a while now and all of them seem to like it and it shows. Despite the flamboyant and intense colours domestics can have, I've been completely converted to wilds. Beautiful fish in your profile picture btw, is it a red turq by any chance? Looks gorgeous.

Real Name
    Frank

I love the wilds. Yours look great. I agree with Daniel. Your favorite is mine also.
    I have a group similar. They are 6-6.5 inch. I might have missed it but what sizes did you get?

Registered Member

I got the altums at about the size of an inch, and they've grown stupidly fast over the past 7 months. The discus are from different batches, but they came around 4-5 inches. From what I've read and seen, wild discus tend to have a growth spurt towards the end of their 2nd year, and the smaller fish I have now are definitely young, so I'm not surprised I haven't seen any noticeable growth apart from the 3 big fatties who have grown considerably. I don't dare net them, but it would be fair to say that the fatties are around 6-6,5 inches. Funny how you never realise they've grown until you're really caught off guard when looking at them and you have the moment of epiphany. (Taking a million photos for comparison also helps :P)

Quote Originally Posted by Amazon Sword View Post
    Thank you very much for the nice words Sanjay! Despite the fact that some of them have less than ideal shape, I really couldn't care less, I like them all very very much. I've been quite religious with my water changes for a while now and all of them seem to like it and it shows. Despite the flamboyant and intense colours domestics can have, I've been completely converted to wilds. Beautiful fish in your profile picture btw, is it a red turq by any chance? Looks gorgeous.
    Water changes is always the key! great job keeping them healthy.
    Thank you! ones in my profile pic is a Curipera Cross in the front and Red Turq in the back.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by sanjay21 View Post
    Water changes is always the key! great job keeping them healthy.
    Thank you! ones in my profile pic is a Curipera Cross in the front and Red Turq in the back.
    I just knew the front one had something wild in him! Water changes are definitely a must, especially with these wild fish, especially considering that their current home is VERY overstocked. As tiring as filling and emptying buckets and mixing R/O water to achieve the desired pH can sometimes be, seeing the fish glow and interact both with me and one another always makes the effort worth it

As tiring as filling and emptying buckets and mixing R/O water to achieve the desired pH can sometimes be, seeing the fish glow and interact both with me and one another always makes the effort worth it
    ^^ this is so true that is exactly what keeps me fueling to do daily wcs.
    Your fish are clearly looking healthy. What do you feed them ?

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by sanjay21 View Post
    ^^ this is so true that is exactly what keeps me fueling to do daily wcs.
    Your fish are clearly looking healthy. What do you feed them ?
    I feed them a bunch of different things. First of all, absolutely no beefheart for these guys. I would never dare, and I wouldn't even risk it, even if there were no bad side effects. I mostly feed them different kinds of pellets, including a hefty amount of spirulina pellets (it really helps the guts and the colouration!), a little bit of discus flakes, the occasional frozen daphnia, and FDBWs that I haven't fed them in a while because I haven't been able to find them here for quite some time. I also feed them the occasional pea for the extra fibre and the cleansing effect; the altums like it even more than the discus do. Only ''bad'' thing is, they eat a lot (thank heavens I haven't ever had a discus that wasn't ravenous) ;I feed them a lot of times during the day, so my siphon is always at the ready to get rid of all that fish poop!

Real Name
    Frank

I feed them a bunch of different things. First of all, absolutely no beefheart for these guys. I would never dare, and I wouldn't even risk it, even if there were no bad side effects. I mostly feed them different kinds of pellets, including a hefty amount of spirulina pellets (it really helps the guts and the colouration!), a little bit of discus flakes, the occasional frozen daphnia, and FDBWs that I haven't fed them in a while because I haven't been able to find them here for quite some time. I also feed them the occasional pea for the extra fibre and the cleansing effect; the altums like it even more than the discus do. Only ''bad'' thing is, they eat a lot (thank heavens I haven't ever had a discus that wasn't ravenous) ;I feed them a lot of times during the day, so my siphon is always at the ready to get rid of all that fish poop!
    Which spirulina pellets do you favor and use?

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by fljones3 View Post
    Which spirulina pellets do you favor and use?
    [[[I threw the container a while ago because it had broken, but if I'm not mistaken it was from Ocean Nutrition.]]]

Edit: It's actually the Omega One Kelp pellets that include both kelp and spirulina.
    Last edited by Amazon Sword; 01-20-2020 at 06:10 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast