ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: trouble keeping plants alive

Registered Member

Default Re: trouble keeping plants alive

Quote Originally Posted by 14Discus View Post
    I may not say what you’d like to hear, but if your PH is stable and your fish are healthy, plants have to take a back seat. I like a few plants in my tanks too, but will not focus on plants to a point that might jeopardize the fish health. IMHO, adjusting PH electively is an accident waiting to happen. The only two plants I’ve grown ok w my 8.0ish PH are narrow leaf Amazon Sword and Hydrophillia angustiflora and my tank temps are at 86 degrees. My few plants are only for decor. My main plant contribution to address nitrates comes from my Pathos plants growing like crazy in my sump. One last thing to consider.....bringing in new plants could very well bring in new pathogens/parasites to your tank.

Also......plz do test for KH and GH......not for the plants, but for your fish. There are safe ways to gradually adjust these if needed whereas PH is a different story.

In a nutshell......a stable PH is of paramount importance for healthy fish. Plants....if they work.....fine, if not, skip or use plastic. I know this is not what you want to hear, but I’m just sharing my thoughts to help you as best I can.

Oh.....btw.....yes, your tank is a absolutely gorgeous.
    Thanks for the reply yes my main concern is keeping the fish happy plants come second but i just like the look of healthy plants with discus would adding a ro mix to my tap lower it and keep it stable? and maybe the plants would be better off with this method but i hear what your saying ive never tested kh and gh or tds before all ive ever done is age my water for 24 hours or so with a air pump and heater and change water out never really had a reason to look into it before but im going to test it to see what i come up with and appreciate the feedback.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mando View Post
    One way, if you really want plants, is co2 and a ph controller. Co2 drops your PH and the controller keeps it stable by turning on and off the co2 depending on the PH. Now, I'm new to co2 and ph controllers and this may not be the best method. However, this is what I'm going to do to my tank even though I don't have high PH like you do. Take a look at this thread. http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...o-system/page3

It's very informative. BTW, beautiful tank and beautiful fish! where did you get your background?
    thanks ill look into that did't really think low tech plants need extra co2 like anubias and java fern and vals but i got the background from www.universalrocks.com the background i ordered is called crevice thanks

Those are the plants I have in my tanks and I don't use Co2. They grow so well, that I'm always taking plants to the fish store or give them to friends.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Those are the plants I have in my tanks and I don't use Co2. They grow so well, that I'm always taking plants to the fish store or give them to friends.
    Hi Liz whats your ph at it looks like my ph in my aging barel is around 8.3 or so give or take and i just tested my display tank this morning and its around 8.1 do you have hard water as well i may try to switch my lights up to see if it makes any difference

Registered Member

hi matt
    i just remembered , if you have a cell phone with a camera , you can download a light intensity app.
    it's in lux not in par but it gives you a fair idea .
    i just measured my tank and at the water level it's about 60,00 lux.
    i have excellent growth with that , however i cant grow plants that need high light or carpet plants , i guess the light can not penetrate 24" deep
    hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by matt2426 View Post
    Hi Liz whats your ph at it looks like my ph in my aging barel is around 8.3 or so give or take and i just tested my display tank this morning and its around 8.1 do you have hard water as well i may try to switch my lights up to see if it makes any difference
    Mine is just 7.2. But I'll be talking to Barb, the cone lady, later tonight. She grows all sorts of plants and her water is rock hard.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Bill G.

Quote Originally Posted by Shan_Evolved View Post
    Also don't be shy to use fake plants! There are a lot that look amazing
    Good point.

Since I have the benefits of live plants w my two algae scrubbers and a huge pathos in my sump and I’d like to have more dimmed lighting, I tried these plastic/silk plants out. They look real and even sway in the current unlike the usual stiff plasticy plants typically sold. Just a few minutes ago, I modified one to be short so as to represent a younger plant for the foreground. These have a ceramic base which is easy to keep the fake plant from popping up. Now there are no dead leaves or stems to add nitrates to the water.
    Lastly, my 3/4” coarse sand just didn’t have the needed depth for proper roots of live plants. Gravel vacuuming my thin sand which I do w each WC is a breeze now w the ceramic bases.
    F731E2ED-B6B4-4A0F-A643-0D53FDDC3F09.jpeg
    I find these to be the most realistic fakes I’ve come across. Now I can focus on the lighting that I think most shows off the fish instead of worrying abt lots of light for the tank plants. Also.....they are very soft for the fish.....no stiff or hard/sharp edges to bother the fish. When I feed the FDBWs, some get temporarily suspended in the leaves, but the Discus are quick to snatch them out.....as do the goofy Cories.
    Last edited by 14Discus; 02-07-2020 at 08:49 PM.

Real Name
    Bill G.

Here is where I got them if you’re interested.
    0294C0F2-5A93-468C-9462-C6229303F539.jpg

Smarlin Artificial Aquarium Plants is the maker....I think.
    Last edited by 14Discus; 02-07-2020 at 09:43 PM.

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

As of now, with many years of fish and plant keeping, I can say there is one plant that does very well in my water conditions. It is Amazon Sword plant. I keep my Discus tank 84-86 degrees and our water is "liquid rock". ph is over 9.0 and hardness is so high I don't bother measuring it. My tank is barebottom, I have beautiful swords in my tank growing in plastic pots with soil and gravel on top, and fertilizer spikes poked into them. They do great. In a cooler tank here I grow a lot of Java Moss easily. Anubias does OK too. Lighting is very important in plant growth too.
    Barb

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

Registered Member

my daughter had an African Cichlid tank with Anubias and Java Fern that did well. No supplements added. Very high pH and hardness.Back then, before LEDs I think she used power compacts

Registered Member

I am having trouble growing java fern in my discus tank. It looks shredded and it had been growing nicely 5 months ago. All my other live plants are doing well in my 180 gallon tank. I have two fluval led lights. Any recommendations?

Thanks

Real Name
    Tom

I’m thinking its the heat. My java fern melted too. All the way to the rhizome. Just added the rhizome to my shrimp tank in hopes it grows back.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12