ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Chef Paul's Lasagna

Default Chef Paul's Lasagna

Chef, I still have not made your lasagna. I decided against it when you told me it didn't freeze successfully. If I can make this in a loaf pan it would make 2 huge meals for me. Can I make it in a loaf pan somehow?
    Mama Bear

Default Re: Chef Paul's Lasagna

My apologies Liz --- If I told you it didn't freeze well, I must have somehow done that by mistake.

Lasagna freezes just fine, I've done it many times - it MAY get a little drier when thawed & re-heated but it doesn't really affect the flavor. Go for it.

And yes, you can make it in a loaf pan if you wish. There would be much less of it from a broad size standpoint, but you could add a couple more layers on top with a somewhat similar quantity of ingredients, and I believe that would be a good thing.

Thanks, chef. It will be my next little project. I also stumbled upon this recipe by Kenji. What do you think? https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/...na%20Bolognese
    Mama Bear

Sounds like a great lasagna recipe, Liz - i's hard to find fault with a Kenji recipe.

This one though, sounds even more complicated than some of my recipes, and that's pretty hard to do, don't you think ? LOL
    If I made a lasagna something similar to this recipe, I think I'd forget about adding any chicken livers - although I'm sure Kenji likes the taste it would bring to the dish.

BTW, Liz, do you like shrimps or prawns ?
    If you do, and you can get raw frozen shrimps near you at an affordable price, let me know, because:

Because I have what I think is a 'killer' recipe for shrimp ravioli (and if you can you make home-made pasta from scratch- then you should definitely give this a try - I have one of those hand-crank pasta making machines which makes it a snap to make fresh pasta from scratch ).

I also developed a very tasty rosé cream sauce to go with this ravioli - I call it a 'sherry & basil rosé cream sauce' which I feel is absolutely scrumptious. And you needn't use sherry if you don't have any - white wine would do nicely in substitution in this recipe.

Shrimp are no problem for me this close to the gulf coast. I don't make my own pasta, though.
    Mama Bear

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Shrimp are no problem for me this close to the gulf coast. I don't make my own pasta, though.

You could easily make your own home made pasta if you don't mind expending some elbow grease rolling out pasta dough quite thinly with just a rolling pin in order to make the ravioli pieces.

Pasta dough is very simply made with approx. 2 cups, or 2 &1/4 cups of flour, 2 eggs, a pinch of salt, 1 tbspn. olive oil, and a small amount of water. Knead it some, then let it rest for 30 minutes covered, and roll out 4 - 1/4 chunks of the resulting ball of dough with a rolling pin to about 1/8" thickness. Some work yes, but well worth it if you have the time & inclination.

If you ever want to give it a go, I'll post the recipe, i.e. with clear instructions on how to easily put together the ravioli pasta pieces, make both the filling for the ravioli, as well as the rose sauce - both of which each take just a few commonly obtainable ingredients.

I can assure you this ravioli will be as good, or better tasting, than any you can get at any fine dining restaurant !
    I also make a combination 50/50 lobster and shrimp meats filling which I think is 'to die for'.

Paul, I hate to admit to being such an infidel, but I don't know what good pasta is, so it isn't worth my trouble to try to make my own. Sorry...
    Mama Bear

Hey, no problem Liz - there are lots of other dishes that you really like - and I too am all for sticking to those meals/foods that you know appeal to you.

I tried making hummus from dried chickpeas the other day. I failed, well, I didn't really fail, I just need to try a different recipe next time.

Tomorrow, I'm going to try making this flan. https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/f...fect-flan-1902

Monday or tuesday I'll head to the supermarket for fixin's for the lasagna. I'll try your recipe first because this will be my first time and I'll have less chance of screwing it up. If I succeed, I'll try Kenji's the next time. I'm gonna use the loaf pan. Do you suggest that I increase the cooking time making it in a loaf pan?
    Mama Bear

I don't think it needs any additional cooking time.

Paul, I made my first lasagna but I'm afraid I used Kenji's rather than yours. It was amazing and I have a ton in the freezer. They are in my rotation so when I eat them all up I will try your way just to see how the recipe from your head compares to the recipe by the "expert". My tastes buds will be the judge. It will be fun so see which I prefer.
    Mama Bear

Sounds like a good plan.