ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Questions questions questions

Registered Member
    Real Name
    John

Default Questions questions questions

Here goes, I am going to set up a 55 BB tank for discus only, I am figuring on 6 fish. The questions I have for now is mostly about equipment. I am figuring on a 200 watt Finnex heater . The filters would be 2 sponge filters and at least a hang on the back filter not sure what type. Is one larger HOB filter better or 2 smaller ones? I also have a Fluval 306 filter but wasn’t sure if that would be to much flow. The lighting would be a flouresent strip light and glass covers.
    If I am successful I have a 220 that was drilled as a peninsula reef tank with overflow that has never been used.
    Any thoughts?
    John
    Last edited by Skjohn98; 01-18-2020 at 12:14 AM.

Default Re: Questions questions questions

It sounds like you want to try in the 55 and then move the fish to the 200 when you're successful and the fish are larger. Are you wanting to start with small fish and grow them out. It's fun and you'd learn a lot.

I only use sponges but if you want a HOB as well I'd just go with 1 big sponge and the HOB. A 200 watt heater should be fine unless the tank is where it gets cold. The fluorescent light will do just fine.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    John

Default Re: Questions questions questions

Liz I want to start out with medium size discus, we are fairly close to Chicago so most likely we will visit Chicago Discus to pick out our first discus