AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Breeding Journey

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Abel

Default My Breeding Journey

So late November I purchased my first breeding pair, of red Turks. I've been wanting to breed for ages, just didn't have much luck with the discus in my community tank. Had loads of pairs, loads of eggs just none ever mad it to wrigglers. So i decided to take the plunge and buy a confirmed breeding pair off a local guy. I went to pick the pair I wanted and got them home.

They had a bit of fin damage from transport but that soon healed. There colours popped straight away in the tank.

IMG-20191119-WA0004.jpg

I soon had to move the tank as the unit was bowing. So I ordered a racking unit, and converted the fitted wardrobe to hold 2 tanks, (the mrs wasn't too happy)

IMG-20191120-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20191220-WA0001.jpg

Once everything had been moved and set up properly, the pair laid eggs twice, made it to 48 hours then ate the eggs on both occasions. I narrowed it down to water issues. I made a change on the advice of the breeder I bought off and within 5 days the pair had laid eggs again.

20191224_132724.jpg
    20191224_132717.jpg

This time they made it to wrigglers, my first ever time getting to this stage. At this point the parents moved the wrigglers from the side piece of glass to the back wall into 2 seperate groups the male took the small group the female took the larger group.

20191226_195645.jpg

After a few days we got to the free swimming stage, this was amazing to watch. But as expected this happened when I was at work so it was down to my girlfriend to take charge and take the sponge filter out drop the water level etc and to say she's never done anything like this before she did a great job.

20191229_204217.jpg
    20191229_204249.jpg

Now the fun really began with the constant water changes. 2 a day around 80% a time.

9 Days later, the fry were eating Baby brine shrimp, and beefheart, as well as going crazy for FDBW.

20200107_094503.jpg
    20200107_182128.jpg
    20200111_001722.jpg
    20200112_175422.jpg
    IMG-20200113-WA0008.jpg
    IMG-20200113-WA0012.jpg
    IMG-20200110-WA0006.jpg

By this point I was able to take a picture and count the fry to which I counted roughly 95.
    They had been feeding quite aggressively off the parents slime coat, so it was time to move the parents out at just under 3 weeks old.

IMG-20200115-WA0003.jpg
    20200117_130836.jpg

It's been 4 days now since I removed the parents, and the growth rate of the fry has been amazing. We are now at 3 weeks and 2 day's old and most of the fry are at 1inch now.

20200117_140129.jpg

2 water changes a day of around 80% one in the morning and one at night, with 6 feeds inbetween a mixture of BBS, FDBW and beefheart has worked wonders. I wll carry on with updates as and when.

Thanks
    Last edited by AJMaskrey; 01-18-2020 at 11:47 AM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Abel

Default Re: My Breeding Journey

So this is my 2nd pair I purchased 5 days ago. They are now in the tank above the fry and hoping to get some eggs off them soon

IMG-20200114-WA0001.jpg
    original_file_home.jpg

As I had to move the parents from the first batch of fry. I needed another tank to hold the parents in until the fry were of a size to move them to a grow out tank. To my surprise my girlfriend came up with the idea of putting another tank in the bedroom. And this is how my set up looks now.

IMG-20200114-WA0012.jpg

The parents in the tank recovering and getting fed up ready for more fry.

20200117_141630.jpg

If anyone would like to see anything in particular please do ask as I have hundreds of pictures and videos.
    Also I have a timeline of dates and times of all the major events if anyone is interested in that please just ask

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by AJMaskrey; 01-18-2020 at 12:09 PM.

That's a wonderful spawn. I'm envious of you. Best of luck with grow out? Hope you have a larger tank in hiding somewhere. They will need more elbow room before you know it.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Abel

Thank you! I'm over the moon with the size of the spawn.
    And yeah I have a 400L tank ready and waiting for them to move into when they are the right size. And then a 650L tank where the best will end up

Mama Bear

Registered Member

Congrats...well done! I've been trying but no luck having the parents raise the wigglers.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Abel

Thanks Maddie, I was the same with my other discus had no luck whatsoever, young inexperienced parents. That's why I decided to try a proven pair to see if it was me or the discus

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Bloody awesome mate, great journal and pics to walk us through. Thanks for making the effort and taking the time to document your journey so we'll. Very happy for you! What strain is the 2nd pair? The Turk's are nice but the other pair is stunning! Cheers bloke

There's something about the male of that Brown based red pair that makes my heart thump.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Abel

Thanks I really appreciate it, first time I've ever done a journal like this. The 2nd pair are curipera's, fell in love as soon as I saw them and I also got to see them with there fry too. Never seen curipera's this colour before they are much better in person pictures dont do them justice. Cant wait to see if I get eggs

Real Name
    Frank

Congratulations! BEAUTIFUL fish.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Abel

Thank you Frank!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    William

I second the motion! The pic with the babies eating off the glass is awesome!

Registered Member

Out of curiosity, what was the change you made in the water parameters that triggered them to spawn?

Registered Member

Man you are lucky! I don't mean the fish but your girlfriend!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast