AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Spending too much time watching the Discus

Default Spending too much time watching the Discus

This morning, for no apparent reason, I had 5 what appeared to be males fighting over 2 females for the cone. I put another cone in which calmed things down. The males were swimming between cones deciding what woman he preferred to woo. Only my old man stuck with one female. She actually liked her brother more than her father, but her brother was too aggressive to her. The old man knows how to treat a lady fish.

In the afternoon all pairing activity was gone. I did my usual big WC and I saw a hint of it a while afterward. I'll go down and check on them before lights out and see whats going on. All that stuff this morning probably meant nothing.
    Mama Bear

Default Re: Spending too much time watching the Discus

Yeah, I've been guilty of watching too much. Actually had people over yesterday for my youngest son's birthday and several people just could not stop staring at the aquarium. If they did stop then they would come right back and I would catch them zoning out all over again.

Right now I have five males and two females. Nothing really going on ever since I decided to change the Driftwood and scape around. I need three more females to throw in there to get everything going again.

Liz,
    Your story reminds me of one of the few discus I ever named. Actually my wife named it. Casanova. And I added him to the group I used to have, there were already three different pairs in the tank and I'll be damned if 2 of the three females from the pairs didn't leave their hubbies and spawn with him within a matter of days. Then he picked up a third female who didn't have a mate yet. And he was the smallest male in there! During that time I believe that was my wife's favorite sitcom to watch
    Last edited by pastry; 01-19-2020 at 09:53 PM.
    -Elliot

Cool story.
    Mama Bear

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Sometimes I find myself watching my discus with my TV on. After about 30 minutes I realize that I have no clue what's going on in the TV show I was watching. My morning routine is to inspect all my tanks and all my fish individually. I crouch, I stand, I sit depending on the tank and I'll be there a good hour just staring. It's an oasis for me and believe it or not, very calming. It's a passion.

To me it has become something of an obsession. The old man is at it again with his young sweetheart. She's pecking on the cone. But that young dude who's rough with her has just shown up. I'm not going down there again until lunchtime feeding. sitting there staring at them isn't going to help them get it on.
    Mama Bear

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    To me it has become something of an obsession. The old man is at it again with his young sweetheart. She's pecking on the cone. But that young dude who's rough with her has just shown up. I'm not going down there again until lunchtime feeding. sitting there staring at them isn't going to help them get it on.
    Your story telling is like a soap opera! I love it. Hopefully they produce for you!

Well, they've gone back to ignoring one another for now. There is for sure something sexual going on in that tank, even if it's just flirting.
    Mama Bear