ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Water woes

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Leonard

Question Water woes

I'm a new member here, and need some advice. I really didn't want to start down the path of using an R/O unit to prepare my water, but it looks like that's inevitable. I have a well, and was shocked to find that my Nitrates from the tap were well over 100ppm. The water is also very acidic. I measure around 6 with my API test kit. Because it's bright yellow it could be even lower. API doesn't allow testing beyond that. The crazy thing is, after a few days the water in the tank where I have my Discus pair creeps up to 7, and higher. This is a bare bottom tank. The TDS measures around 220 straight from the tap. Does anyone have an idea why my PH swings upwards like that?

If I purchase an R/O unit what do I have to do to the water after it's treated? I've heard of things like Discus Essentials which supposedly put things back into the water that are necessary for the fishes health. Because the R/O unit strips everything out of the water, would I be more susceptible to PH crashes? Should I add something to the water to stabilize it at 6.5 or so?

Thanks for any, and all help.

Leonard

Default Re: Water woes

Do you have a shallow well or a deep well?
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Bill G.

Default Re: Water woes

Test your well water and aquarium water for KH and GH. You will certainly end up mixing water, but that’s no big deal. Your KH levels will largely determine the PH movements. You may have to add some crushed coral into a filter/sump to maintain a good KH which will likely settle down the PH swings. I don’t have nitrates in my well water, so I mix my filtered tap water w a KH of 22 with RO water at a 1 to 4 ratio creating a nice 4-7 KH. I also have a bag of crushed coral in the sump to prevent the KH from getting too low which would cause PH swings. You will need some GH as well for growing out your fish. Do not, plz, ever use that bottled PH up or PH down stuff.......it’s a disaster waiting to happen.